Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the Consumer Association help consumers?

• 08-03-2011 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Remember Mary Harney I think it was who told the nation, before she became Healt Minister, that we should all 'shop around' for the best value goods and services.
    But I can't remember the last time a provider of goods and services was actually prosecuted by the courts for selling inferior products or over-priced products as a result of an action being taken by the CAI.
    We are all coralled into the Small Claims Court if we, the individual consumer, is unhappy with the service or quality of the goods we purchased.
    And I often wonder why it is that the media don't report daily court cases from the SCC. Probably because it would affect their advertising revenue streams.
    Consumers would get a much better service if cases from the Small Claims Court were reported, in full, with names and addresses published in newspapers, online and in the broadcast media.
    I just can't remember the CAI doing anything for the consumer. They launch a media campaign telling us to be aware of our consumer rights but they don't tell you to come to them for free legal advice.

For example, the CAI should be monitoring which corner shops issue receipts as a matter of policy and those that don't should be prosecuted.
    It shouldn't be left to the consumer to have to ask for a receipt. I have seen some corner shops with signs saying you have to ask for a receipt.

Pubs and hotels sometimes say it is their policy to issue receipts. But there are many that don't. They too should be brought before the courts.

Another government quango that has no balls.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Some time ago I was in touch with them about a mattress I bought. It was labelled an orthapedic matress and was quite firm. My neighbour took delivery of it for me as i was out and when I saw it I realised it was not at all what I had ordered and was very flimsy. Got no satisfaction from the shop over many weeks - they recommended I try it out and came up with all sorts of excuses. it sat in my hall for many weeks in its wrapper waiting to go back. When I went the consumers association about it they told me there was no such thing as an orthopaedic mattress excepting where the no. of springs are listed on the item. They did write to the shop on my behalf but it didn't achieve any result. I ended up promising the shop that I would get media attention for them that they might not enjoy. Finally they collected the mattress and returned my money. Don't think the consumers association has any teeth so I wouldn't be depending on them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Advertisement