Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pennant seeks ROI Call-up

• 08-03-2011 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/stoke_city/9417873.stm

He has clearly been hit by the realisation that he will never play international football for England, and wants on the Irish bandwagon. I agree that his rhetoric and reasoning for the attempted move is not the best.

Personally, I believe he has the skill and the brain to play a decent role for Ireland. I know we are quite well stocked in the wide positions, but I dont think his inclusion in a squad would be a bad thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Dont rate nor have I ever rated Pennent however compared to some of the deadwood in the current Irish squad he is positively Messiesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'm sure Trap will let him play in a meaningless friendly.

in fairness - why didnt he signal his intent 10years ago ... and why didnt anyone in the Irish camp know he had an "irish" grandad.

He used to be good and could knock in a few crosses....so I'd give him a go on the Irish team - but dunno if I'd take him to a world cup (if we qualify)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

as a liverpool fan i've been burnt with putting faith in him before but he's a fine footballer when he's not being an idiot (he was brilliant in the 2007 CL final against Milan) and Ireland is no position to be turning away Premier League footballers if they want to play for us.

Also I'd rate him over McGeady...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I'm sure Trap will let him play in a meaningless friendly.

in fairness - why didnt he signal his intent 10years ago ... and why didnt anyone in the Irish camp know he had an "irish" grandad.

did you read the article?
    "They've asked previously and I said 'I want to try and play for England', but I never closed the door on it.

at least he's being honest about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I'd rather have an Irish lad in there than someone with a loose connection to the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Yeah at least he is being honest, he will never play for England, and if he is eligible for us call him up and see how he responds.

We are lucky enough to have some good options out wide, he certainly wouldn't shift anyone at the moment, but the more to choose from the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

IMO he would be a good addition to the squad, he would give us that extra bit of pace and class to get down th eline and get balls in.

I think he has a better delivery then McGeady anyway, hes more consistent with them IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

did you read the article?

No - and not going to read it unless its copied and pasted (I'm lazy like that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

doncarlos wrote: »
    I'd rather have an Irish lad in there than someone with a loose connection to the country.

Really? Have a look at some of the players who played for ireland over the last twenty to thirty years with a loose connection to the country. Some great players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

doncarlos wrote: »
    Many share your opinion and with good reason, but it is a road we have taken so many times it is not going to be closed.

I just want to see us selecting and playing the best players available - that doesn't always happen though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If Ireland can withstand insult after insult to the national shirt from Irish wasters and still want them in the team, why not English ones too?

Time to start begging him in public, I say. Maybe send him roses every day or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/stoke_city/9417873.stm

Stoke's Jermaine Pennant wants Republic of Ireland call

_51570490_2072034.jpg Pennant played 24 times for the England Under-21 side

Stoke City winger Jermaine Pennant has confirmed that he would like to play for the Republic of Ireland after revealing he has an Irish grandfather. The ex-England Under-21 man has been in contact with the Football Association of Ireland about a possible call-up.
    "I'm 28, I'm not getting any younger and I'd like to play international football, whether it's with England or Ireland," he told BBC Radio Stoke.
    "I'd love to play for England but it's just never happened."
    The former Arsenal and Liverpool man continued: "I don't think it's going to happen, not because of my ability, but maybe misdemeanours in the past that have put that to a halt.
    "They're looking at younger, up-and-coming talent which is great for England.
    "Who's to say that Ireland can't get to the next World Cup? If I could be a part of that with Ireland, that would be great.
    "If I've got a chance to play international football with Ireland, I'm going to take it with both hands.

"They've asked previously and I said 'I want to try and play for England', but I never closed the door on it.
    "I actually looked into it and texted my agent. I think he's contacted them to say 'he's eligible to play and he's interested', so we'll see what happens.
    "Now they know that I'm interested, maybe they'll start watching me in games.
    "You can't just click your fingers and say 'pick me for the team'. You've got to be playing well for your club before you play for any country."
    Pennant won 24 caps for the England Under-21 side but failed to make the step up to the senior side.
    He has played 25 games for Stoke since his loan move from Real Zaragoza in August, which was made permanent during the January transfer window.
    There were reports that Pennant had been fined hundreds of pounds for leaving his Porsche in the car park at a railway station in Spain, but he said that the episode had been "blown out of proportion".
    Pennant said: "I left it there for three weeks and my friend went to pick it up for me.
    "The Spanish press wrote that I left it there for five months and they also said the club [Real Zaragoza] contacted me to tell me that the Porsche was at the station.
    "When I replied saying ''no it's not, my friend has picked it up', they put in the papers that I'd replied 'oh, I didn't know I had a Porsche'.
    "So the English press have run it off the Spanish press and now it's blown out of all proportion."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I hadn't heard!

Oh, wait, I actually had. :pac:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056202479

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

In recent days it seems as if Ireland are pursuing the granny rule again with Stearman and now Pennant seemingly interested. O'Hara would be a good option too if Mick McCarthy can get him to buy into the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

gerry pennant.... great news.:p

o hara pennant stearman..england B team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Pennant would probably become the backup winger of choice if he decides to play with us. Behind McGeady and Duff, but ahead of Hunt and Lawrence and assuming Coleman is played as a full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Pennant is a somewhat creative player likely to influence a game in a positive manner,this alone will prevent any call up to the first 11 from trappatoni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If we had anyone other than Trappatoni in charge we would be in a much better position. The future is bright enough if we can entice these sort of players in and drop players like Kilbane, St. Ledger and Whelan. We need Trappatoni gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'd have no problem with anyone declaring for us through the grandparents route once they nail their colours to the mast early.

Wouldn't want them near the squad only because it becomes abundantly clear later in their career that they'll never get a call up for someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Bring him in and give him a go. Ireland are painful to watch of late. With a bit of luck he might liven things up a bit and get a few decent balls into the box. Still not convinced on mcgeady and Lawrence is a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He'd be a good option in the squad. He's a different sort of player to our existing wingers and his delivery could be a big appeal for Trap. He's not the type of player to sweat blood for the cause, especially as it's not his country he's representing. Still, a decent option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Think I would puke if I ever saw Pennant in an Irish jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Better having him in the squad than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

This thread is demeaning.

Also sums up nicely why LoI fans look down on the Ole Ole brigade. No pride whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

O'Hara, Stearman and Pennant will go a long way to strengthening our squad.

Better players -> better team -> more onfield successes -> more public interest -> more kids playing -> better homegrown players.

There are domestic benefits to permitting 2nd/3rd generation Irish players play for us.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    O'Hara, Stearman and Pennant will go a long way to strengthening our squad.

Better players -> better team -> more onfield successes -> more public interest -> more kids playing -> better homegrown players.

There are domestic benefits to permitting 2nd/3rd generation Irish players play for us.

But if the 'better homegrown players' (who never happened under Charlton by the way, it was Kerr that fixed that) can't get into the side because random Brit x decides he won't make the England side so declares for Ireland, what happens to your equation?

I don't think anyone is arguing for genuine 2nd / 3rd generation Irish like McGeady, McGrath, O'Leary etc to be excluded. Its when players don't identify as being Irish that the debate becomes cloudy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Also sums up nicely why LoI fans look down on the Ole Ole brigade. No pride whatsoever.

Remind me of Gary Twigg's nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »

What has that to do with anything? :confused:

• Advertisement

Scottish.

Are you now comparing a club signing a foreign player with a national team selecting foreign players?

Is that really the best you can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with anyone declaring for us through the grandparents route once they nail their colours to the mast early.

Wouldn't want them near the squad only because it becomes abundantly clear later in their career that they'll never get a call up for someone else.

Agree 100%. Pennant is basically saying 'I'm nowhere near good enough to play for England so maybe the Paddies would give me a game. I couldn't really give a flying fig about Ireland but I fancy going to a World Cup'.
    And some of you still want him?

There's a big difference between him and say players like John Aldridge and Kevin Kilbane, who grew up in England, speak with English accents but always had strong ties to Ireland and would likely have considered themselves at least half Irish even when they were growing up.

Yes we need good players to strengthen the squad but not at the expense of whoring ourselves to every mercenary looking for an easy route into international football.

Scottish.

Are you now comparing a club signing a foreign player with a national team selecting foreign players?

Is that really the best you can do?

Yes I am. Twigg is taking the place of an Irish player in the Rovers side, just like Pennant would be in the national side.
    random Brit x decides he won't make the England side so declares for Ireland,

That is the same as "random Brit x decides he won't make the Rangers side so moves to Shamrock Rovers"

As for...
    No pride whatsoever.

If you were such a patriot you'd want an Irish only Rovers side as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's mercenary about looking for a game in international football? Seems to me the mercenaries are the ones who bail on the international game to further their club careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think he'd improve our squad, I'm not sure I'd want him though I suppose he's no different to many of the players we have played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Stephen Ireland, Roy Keane.

Case Closed.

• Advertisement

Yes I am. Twigg is taking the place of an Irish player in the Rovers side, just like Pennant would be in the national side.

That is the same as "random Brit x decides he won't make the Rangers side so moves to Shamrock Rovers"

As for...

And if you were a patriot you would want an all English Manchester City side.

Rovers, like all club sides, are under one obligation. To field the strongest side possible. Gary Twigg was brought in because he was the best available player.

Ireland, like all international sides, are under an additional constraint. The players must be Irish citizens with blood lineage to the country. By no benchmark is Pennant, or O'Hara, or whatever other English no-mark who found themselves in the EPL actually Irish. They may technically be eligible, but we are pushing the envelope very far, stopping the development of Irish players and alienating fans.

We did it under Charlton because we had to. We don't any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Het-Field wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland, Roy Keane.

Case Closed.

You dont support any tean then do you?

But if the 'better homegrown players' (who never happened under Charlton by the way, it was Kerr that fixed that) can't get into the side because random Brit x decides he won't make the England side so declares for Ireland, what happens to your equation?

If a homegrown player is better than a 2nd/3rd generation player, than he will play ahead of him, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Rooney10 wrote: »

Sums up my attitude too really :)

And if you were a patriot you would want an all English Manchester City side.

Who said I was a partriot?
    Rovers, like all club sides, are under one obligation. To field the strongest side possible. Gary Twigg was brought in because he was the best available player.

Same for Ireland imo
    Ireland, like all international sides, are under an additional constraint. The players must be Irish citizens with blood lineage to the country. By no benchmark is Pennant, or O'Hara, or whatever other English no-mark who found themselves in the EPL actually Irish. They may technically be eligible, but we are pushing the envelope very far, stopping the development of Irish players and alienating fans.

We did it under Charlton because we had to. We don't any more.

We're playing by the rules to field the strongest side possible. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There is obviously a difference between 1st/2nd/3rd generation Irish only ever wanting to play for Ireland and somebody selecting as a back-up option when they don't make the grade for another nation.

For example, I was born to Irish parents in England and moved here at 11. If I was a footballer, I wouldn't dream of choosing England over Ireland and I think that's the difference between some of the players that have come in under the granny rule and people like Pennant.

If a homegrown player is better than a 2nd/3rd generation player, than he will play ahead of him, surely?

You would like to think. But the easy option is to play a Pennant over a Fahey.

We're playing by the rules to field the strongest side possible. Happy days.

Says you. If you are happy for the national side to be full of foreigners who don't really want to be there, but are technically available for selection, good for you. Dust off your leprechaun suit and bore the world with stories of how we are the best fans in the world (tm).

Some of us have a longer view about the development of the game, and journeymen who have no affiliation with Ireland stifle it. This puts the entire grassroots elite coaching under jeprody. Why will the FAI pay millions to coach the best young Irish talent if Trapp is just going to select non-Irish talent?

You would like to think. But the easy option is to play a Pennant over a Fahey.

If he is on better form, yes.

If he is on better form, yes.

So what then happens to the Faheys of the world?

Do the FAI still pump resources into developing them? Or do they do what they did under Charlton and hire researchers over underage coaches?

So what then happens to the Faheys of the world?

Do the FAI still pump resources into developing them? Or do they do what they did under Charlton and hire researchers over underage coaches?

Personally I would do both, with more emphasis on developing our own players.

However the massive caveat here is the assumption the FAI can be trusted to do anything right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

McGeady > Pennant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

A useful player IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

As for...

That is a ridiculous argument. Seriously. It is not as if LOI teams are playing Twigg, Ndo etc in favour of Robbie Keane, Damien Duff etc. Anyway, it is not as if LOI teams are short of Irish players. But basically comparing a club team in football to an International team is foolish. It is a ridiculous argument.

I don't want Pennant near the Irish team because he obviously doesn't give a crap about Ireland. More importantly though, it flies in the face of the entire FAI youth drive over the past 20 years. Why should somebody like Fahey be ignored because an average English journeyman decides he wants to play international football? It would be a slap in the face for every Irish youth player for this to happen. I've no issue with James McCarthy, McGeady Kilbane etc who identify as Irish. But this crap should not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

A player who is playing prem football weekly and who has started in a Champo league finally will defo improve our squad, Id give him a go if he has the right attitude

• Advertisement
Advertisement