Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next gen xbox in development

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Why doesnt PS3 and Xbox just start making apps for thier consoles. Make much more sense. I know PS3 doesnt really have any (not sure about xbox) but they could make a mint that way. SKYPE / IPTV (I know there are some forms of this) / BETTER WEB BROWSERS / SLINGPLAYER .. to name a few that would be successfull. I mean Apple make a lot of money this way.. why not on these consoles?

Not like they can add much more at this stage I mean the HD games are fantastic and they are on the verge of making 3D gaming come alive but thats just games they are making a few quid on ..:D

What kind of apps? Since generally the consoles aren't portable and are usually kept in a house there'll likely be other devices around to do anything the console could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

EnterNow wrote: »
    So what are you saying? Rearrange an ATX motherboard & call it an Xbox 720? I'm all for off-the shelf components, but a platform needs to be designed to make them all work together, not to mention a software interface.

If I can pick components that will work together I'm sure MS and Sony could manage it.
    In terms of software are you talking about OS or game coding? With off-the-shelf components game coding will be easy and for the OS I don't think much more than the existing OSs is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

amacachi wrote: »
    If I can pick components that will work together I'm sure MS and Sony could manage it.
    In terms of software are you talking about OS or game coding? With off-the-shelf components game coding will be easy and for the OS I don't think much more than the existing OSs is needed.

Sounds like a pc to me man. Off the shelf components are good, but you don't just bolt them onto an atx board & install windows to make a console. A proprietary platform will need to be developed in order for all the components to work together in the way MS wan't them to. The console will need to be secure, meaning proprietary security systems will need to be both designed & embedded in hardware AND software, otherwise public documents will tell hackers how to hack the system on day 1. The OS will need to be a lot more than existing os's, nether OS would be acceptable if released today as a brand new interface, plus all their bugs & vulnerabilities are known.

Game coding is up to dev houses, I'm talking about console specific os's here. Anyone who thinks no r&d is needed to create a new console is seriously underestimating what needs to be done.

Off the shelf is good, but you can't just stick them together on an atx platform.

Advertisement