Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Alarm help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

I'm not an expert but I'm sure if you do a quick search of the forum you'll find out quick enough what the people in the business think of these budget DIY alarm kits... :o

Incidentally, being a stingy bloke myself, I was very tempted by some of the almost amazing offers on eBay. There are wireless kits out there a fraction of the cost of the Response/Get/Yale ones... But, in case you're at all tempted, don't be - batteries typically need changing every 6 months in all sensors which is crazy, door and window sensors only consist of an open/close alarm rather than a combined vibration/shock sensor etc. etc. Also, think about whether you'll be selling the house and how useful a non-recognised alarm system will be to the next occupants from an insurance point of view.

Also, you'll probably find that you can get an equivalent (and recognised) system to the eircom Phonewatch one installed for significantly less. The others might you an idea of the cost if you give details on the property you're looking to protect (number of external doors, window openings, bay windows) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

warrenaldo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I am toying with the idea of getting a wireless alarm. Eircom Phonewatch is too expensive. I dont want wires running all over my house. So a wireless one seems good to me. Plus they are relatively inexpensive.

What are peoples thoughts on them. I am looking at both of these. The auto-dialler feature on #2 is making me lean towards it.

Is there anything I should know before buying - do burgulars see these alarms and know how to disable them?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7002740/Trail/searchtext%3EALARM.htm

or

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7000371/Trail/searchtext%3EALARM.htm

I would not waste your money on any of these systems. My advice would be to look at the Securewave, Powermax or the Signet for a wire free system. If you decided to self install the alarm yourself it will work out cheaper than getting the alarm installed by a certified installer.

If you have any problems installing the alarm, you will get all the help you need here :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 to those 3 systems.
    Also if you can hold out till the end of the month & see what HKC have up their sleeve.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Can I just ask this question,do the insurance comapnies look for or ask for the instalation cert on an alarm,if god forbid you have a break in and stuff is stolen??

If thats the case,then I would deffinately get a propper certified installer to fit the alarm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Insurance companies are getting a lot more stringent with regard to claims.
    I have seen them refuse payments because the system had not been serviced in the past year & the customer was claiming for a system to EN50131.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can I just ask this question,do the insurance comapnies look for or ask for the instalation cert on an alarm,if god forbid you have a break in and stuff is stolen??

If thats the case,then I would deffinately get a propper certified installer to fit the alarm

They will in the event of a claim ask for the cert plus service reports depending on what your claiming the alarm to be. If you have told them the alarm is self installed, just a working alarm or an EN50131 installed alarm. With the EN50131 alarm it does need to be serviced every year to still be up to this standard. The best people to ask these questions to are your insurance company as they know more than us about if they will pay out in a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

KoolKid wrote: »
    +1 to those 3 systems.
    Also if you can hold out till the end of the month & see what HKC have up their sleeve.;)

New model on the way ? For wired or wireless or both ?

Mainly wireless I'd imagine. Possible a couple of wired inputs.

Satts wrote: »
    New model on the way ? For wired or wireless or both ?

Here is a sneak preview 3:15.
    1 wired zone that can take point ID sensors so if you wanted 10 points then this will cover you.

Now lets see what the price is like ...
    Also hope they don't all scoot off to Vegas after the launch , again & leave little or no tech support.:rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement

Now lets see what the price is like ...

That should be interesting, from what I have being told it will be very good value in packs.
    Also hope they don't all scoot off to Vegas after the launch , again & leave little or no tech support.:rolleyes:;)

I have never had any issues with getting hold of anyone in HKC for tech support. Anyway you have my number if your ever stuck :D

Advertisement