Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we paying 1.50 for petrol

• 08-03-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Hi all

a question that has been annoying me lately. Why do petrol/diesel prices immediately rise if there is trouble in Libya.

Heard a bloke on news last night banging on about the rising price of crude oil.OK.

But if the petrol in the pumps was bought yesterday from Libya,/Saudi etc. I could understand the increase.

In fact crude oil is purchased, transported, refined, and then sold to Petrol Retailers, this I am sure takes a few months, so the petrol we are buying today was bought as crude some months ago.

So why can retailers use todays crude oil prices to justify an increase in petrol.

Surely this is a rip off.

If there is a sound reason for this can someone enlighten me

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

martinn123 wrote: »
    Hi all

a question that has been annoying me lately. Why do petrol/diesel prices immediately rise if there is trouble in Libya.

Heard a bloke on news last night banging on about the rising price of crude oil.OK.

But if the petrol in the pumps was bought yesterday from Libya,/Saudi etc. I could understand the increase.

In fact crude oil is purchased, transported, refined, and then sold to Petrol Retailers, this I am sure takes a few months, so the petrol we are buying today was bought as crude some months ago.

So why can retailers use todays crude oil prices to justify an increase in petrol.

Surely this is a rip off.

If there is a sound reason for this can someone enlighten me

thanks

Someone already has a thread about this ... couple of days ago:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Oops sorry.........please delete Mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Here's a great article that explains a lot

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Gas-prices-are-about-more-apf-3196097583.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=3&asset=&ccode=
    BTW retailers make an average of 6c on each litre - this pays for rent rates, staff etc etc etc.

They hate the higher prices as people drive less, make less visits and buy less bottles of coke & chicken sandwiches, which is where the money is made.

visit www.pumps.ie and this will explain the pricing process.

And btw - expect another 3c next week and then it may start falling back (oil prices dropping a little today) as there's a 2 week lag from oil price rise to pump price rise and most busy stations get 3 deliveries a week, hence prices can change 3 times a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Tax (carbon levy, vat, excise) make up about 70% of the price per litre, the new government could forgoe some of this should they choose.......but dont hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

91011 wrote: »
    And btw - expect another 3c next week and then it may start falling back (oil prices dropping a little today) as there's a 2 week lag from oil price rise to pump price rise and most busy stations get 3 deliveries a week, hence prices can change 3 times a week.
    2 week lag from oil price drop to pump price drop and 2 second lag from oil price rise to pump price rise more like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I can't recall the numbers exactly and am open for correction, but as I remember at the height of the last surge in oil prices a barrel went over €150 but the highest I seem to remember seeing a the pumps was €1.28 & the country nearly came to a halt with the uproar. Now oil is at €118 a barrel and even with the 12c tax added to petrol over the past couple of years there seems to leave a significant gap there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

2 week lag from oil price drop to pump price drop and 2 second lag from oil price rise to pump price rise more like.

Our eyes may think this as we're more likely to notice a negative than a positive, but for over 2 years pumps.ie have been forecasting the 2 week price both upwards and downwards and both ways take about 2 weeks. - This is based on 100% factual pricing entered by hundreds of motorists nationwide and forecast prices are based on published refinery prices.

The extra increase you will see this weekend is from the jump in oil prices at the very start of March. The current small decreases from yesterday and today will then bring this weekends price increase back to todays level in about 2 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

You will find there have been 2 "carbon taxes" in the last 2 budgets, all plus VAT.
    The greens are blamed, but now they are gone.
    All it needs is for people to lobby their TD about this and any other thing that is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Well, thanks to the price of petrol I've pretty much stopped driving. Apart from shopping runs etc., where I need the car.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

The price of a barrel of oil only gives some indication as to the price the motorist will have to pay. The actual price of oil is determined by the number of future/swap contracts that are involved from when the oil is extracted to when it actually hits the forecourt.

The average number of contracts now stands at about 22 compared with about 13 ten years ago hence there are now another 9 contracts all adding a margin along the way. So just comparing the price of a barrel of oil and adding government levies won't always explain away the rise in petrol prices.

• Advertisement

Tell me why:-
    when a barrel of crude went $150+ the price per Litre was about E1.25.
    Now its about E100 the price is E1.50+
    The answer is the extra taxes and pure rip off by speculators.
    Remember it crashed to $36 two years ago and the government used the low price to bump up taxes.
    I have written to my TD telling him that the cost is destroying the ecconomy and the returns are now diminishing because you cannot get blood out of a stone. He agrees but nothing will be done unless people complain in a rational way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How much of that €1.50 is made up of tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

tax tax and more aint living in Ireland great, TAX!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Petrol
    Current average petrol price: 149.9
    Current Vat: 26.02c/litre
    Fixed Duty: 59.622c/litre
    Government take:
    85.64c/litre
    Cost before tax & duty: 64.26c/litre Retailer
    Distributor margin (est): 11c/litre
    Base petrol price (est): 53.26

Diesel
    Current average diesel price: 145.9
    Current Vat:25.32c/litre
    Fixed Duty:48.57c/litre Government take:73.89c/litre
    Cost before tax & duty:72.01c/litre Retailer
    Distributor margin (est):11c/litre
    Base diesel price (est):61.01

Some retailers are making a nice few quid selling fuel.

Link to pumps.ie

Petrol engines are more efficient maintainace/cost wise but burn more fuel.
    Diesel engines are less efficient maintainance/cost wise but burn less fuel, However their construction costs more ( thus incuring more fuel making and maintaining the thing) Look at the control and associated hardware cost.
    IN GENERAL ( shouts)
    So the goverment taxes petrol higher in direct contradiction of the UK goverments taxation system ( who is right?)
    Whatever the experts say I think diesel is more polluting particulate size wise.
    The excuse for higher petrol duty is wait for it, and the winner is..carbon pollution tax.
    A tiny country, with a small population trying to save the planet with the Likes of USA, China and Japan ( up to this week) burning as much as they can grab and charging little tax.
    Cowan bleated on about reducing car tax for low emmision state of the art cars and that the goverment would loose revenue, he said that the loss of tax was worth saving the planet. Then he puts up the road tax for every other poor sod who has a perfectly reasonable petrol engined car.
    It mean't that certain members of society that could afford a damn great supposed green car could tax it for less and the rest who were killing the planet could just put up with it.
    Great if you live in the Cities but a bugger for those in the sticks who need a 20 mile round trip for shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Petrol
    Current average petrol price: 149.9
    Current Vat: 26.02c/litre
    Fixed Duty: 59.622c/litre
    Government take:
    85.64c/litre
    Cost before tax & duty: 64.26c/litre Retailer
    Distributor margin (est): 11c/litre
    Base petrol price (est): 53.26

Diesel
    Current average diesel price: 145.9
    Current Vat:25.32c/litre
    Fixed Duty:48.57c/litre Government take:73.89c/litre
    Cost before tax & duty:72.01c/litre Retailer
    Distributor margin (est):11c/litre
    Base diesel price (est):61.01

Some retailers are making a nice few quid selling fuel.

Link to pumps.ie

Whereabouts in your figures are the retailers making a "nice few quid" selling fuel. You've actually left no profit element at all for them. The link actually has it as distributor and retailer margin at 11c/ litre. To explain that 11c equats to approx 15% margin which would normally breakdown at 10% to the distributor and approx 5% to the garage. When you throw in the credit card processing fees that most fuel transactions would involve your local garage is rarely making a nice few quid at all on fuel. They make more on sandwiches and cokes etc than on the fuel.

They make more on sandwiches and cokes etc than on the fuel.

how many thousands of liters of coke do they sell in a day?

Honestly, I've heard that rhetoric so often. I have no idea what profit they make on fuel at the pumps, I've heard 6 cents as an average. If that's true then IMO it seems like pretty good earner looking in from the outside. Let's face it, if there wasn't good money in it, there'd be far fewer stations.

eas wrote: »
    how many thousands of liters of coke do they sell in a day?

Honestly, I've heard that rhetoric so often. I have no idea what profit they make on fuel at the pumps, I've heard 6 cents as an average. If that's true then IMO it seems like pretty good earner looking in from the outside. Let's face it, if there wasn't good money in it, there'd be far fewer stations.

6 cents per litre if accurate = €2.06 profit on a €50.00 fill - on a €20 fill it's less than €1.00 - I've no idea what the average fill is to be fair but I'd imagine it is south of the €50.00

A Sandwich and Coke retailing at €5.00 would have as much as €3.00 profit on it.

No offense Pageant Messiah, but unless you run a petrol station, or have insider information on running a petrol station I'm not going to be convinced by your sandwich & Coke being more profitable than petrol theory.

15 years experience in fresh foods / grocery management - the figures for a sandwiches and coke etc I can 100% stand over.

The petrol figures I am going from anectodal / other retail professionals stories. I haven't personally seen an invoice from a petrol wholesaler but I am very confident that the figures I have used (which you yourself put forward btw) for petrol margins are reasonably accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You don't need to be in retail to know that the average deli sandwich has a huge mark up. :D

Look at the price of a sliced pan compared to the two slices of bread in your sandwich, same principle applies to the ham, salad, whatever.
    And then remember that the deli actually pays the cost price of a catering pan, ham, salad etc..

I don't doubt the margins on the sandwich and Coke, I just highly doubt they make up more profit on a whole than petrol.

The 6c/ltr figure I used was read either on this thread or another thread of similar topic. Thinking about it, seeing as how there's more than a 10c spread on pump prices around the country, I'm thinking that 6c may be a modest estimate. But again, I'm just a guy making guesses.

You don't need to be in retail to know that the average deli sandwich has a huge mark up. :D

Look at the price of a sliced pan compared to the two slices of bread in your sandwich, same principle applies to the ham, salad, whatever.
    And then remember that the deli actually pays the cost price of a catering pan, ham, salad etc..

Indeed and then a bottle of coke costs circa €0.80 verus a €1.40 - €1.50 in most garages and you can see why a sandwich and coke makes quite a high margin. A very high margin €5.00 sale can dwarf a €50.00 low margin sale in profit terms which is the point I am making. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The price of a barrel of oil only gives some indication as to the price the motorist will have to pay. The actual price of oil is determined by the number of future/swap contracts that are involved from when the oil is extracted to when it actually hits the forecourt.

The average number of contracts now stands at about 22 compared with about 13 ten years ago hence there are now another 9 contracts all adding a margin along the way. So just comparing the price of a barrel of oil and adding government levies won't always explain away the rise in petrol prices.

This speculation, together with the taxation are where the real problems lie.
    I would hazard a guess that many "investors" including pension funds may have gotten involved in these markets since the banking sector (worldwide) collapsed.
    I dont think we'll see anything done about the speculation, as there are too many vested interests but the taxation could at least be tackled on one level.

I don't doubt the margins on the sandwich and Coke, I just highly doubt they make up more profit on a whole than petrol.

The 6c/ltr figure I used was read either on this thread or another thread of similar topic. Thinking about it, seeing as how there's more than a 10c spread on pump prices around the country, I'm thinking that 6c may be a modest estimate. But again, I'm just a guy making guesses.

I think you could put that spread down to the wholesale cost prices.

As was linked to in the OP 11 cent of the €1.45 average sale price per ltr is the profit element of the distributor / wholesaler and the retailer. Even if that was a 9cent to retailer and 2 cent to distributor split the €50.00 fuel fill would equate to the same profit level as a sandwich and coke. (and that split is highly unlikely)

I'm not saying that the profit on sales of sandwiches and coke alone outweigh the profit on sales of fuel - it's a broader spectrum than that. The profit on a coffee dwarfs the profit on a coke, not everyone would buy a sandwich, someone might buy a box of cornflakes etc What I am saying is that in general the profit made on sales within the store itself dwarfs the profit made on fuel sales.

Of course you will have garages who will add on extra onto the fuel rates and offer little to none other goods / services that's a business model in it's own right but the again the vast majority of service stations are geared to make their profits on shop sales.

They make more on sandwiches and cokes etc than on the fuel.
    :rolleyes:

Well that's a fantastic contribution to the debate. :)

true, but I'm tired now.;)

Honestly, I'm not looking to debate on speculation and that's all I have. Respect to your experience and background, but without knowing the details of volume of sales & exact profit numbers it's pointless.

Mainly - I've heard the sandwich & Coke comment before, and I don't think it's fair to people whos livelihoods are at risk because we're paying tooth and eye for petrol.

edit - for what it's worth, i don't blame the owners at the stations for making profits on petrol...I blame the government for not regulating it in the first place.

edit - for what it's worth, i don't blame the owners at the stations for making profits on petrol...I blame the government for not regulating it in the first place.

/insert your own facepalm here :D

The cost at the pumps is primarily government / tax driven. Frankly I blame the government for not putting in place a flexible taxation mechanism that does not reward the goverment exponentially as the price of oil rises.

• Advertisement

sure, maybe it should have read "regulating correctly in the first place"

Advertisement