Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are we paying 1.50 for petrol

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

Correct me if I am wrong but there was a 13c and a 6c + vat tax rise over the last 2 budgets, or near that amount?
    The tax is stiffling the countries recovery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Not only is the price of a barrel of oil traded, the distillates produced from it (petrol, diesel etc.) are traded again on secondary markets.

This leads to divergences in the cost of oil and its by products.

It was seen clearly in the last 2 years by the massive uptake in diesel cars that created new demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

The euro is the strongest ever against the dollar, I wonder what will the price be when the euro weakens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Dymo wrote: »
    The euro is the strongest ever against the dollar, I wonder what will the price be when the euro weakens?

It hit 1.60 before the crisis, at 1.42 now.

And its about to plunge to 1.35 over the next few days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

cgarrad wrote: »
    It hit 1.60 before the crisis, at 1.42 now.

And its about to plunge to 1.35 over the next few days...

It could be $1.45 next week or it could be $1.35 or it may stay around $1.41 / $1.42

Currency speculation in current market conditions has flummoxed even the most hardened speculator and us mere amateur mortals would only be making a guess.

Todays 1.2c drop was caused purely by an unfounded rumor that Ireland missed a repayment. (None due this week - so can't be true)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Home heating Oil now works out cheaper to buy from Northern Ireland, as people in parts of Leitrim are now buying it. Duty differences along with a lack of competition mean it's EUR 224.00 cheaper to buy from a tanker from the north. Also helped in part by Green Party John Gormley's stupid carbon tax, aided by fuel merchants pinching up the price:

http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/local/customs_set_to_crack_down_on_home_heating_oil_smuggling_1_2505934

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Skopzz wrote: »
    Home heating Oil now works out cheaper to buy from Northern Ireland, as people in parts of Leitrim are now buying it. Duty differences along with a lack of competition mean it's EUR 224.00 cheaper to buy from a tanker from the north. Also helped in part by Green Party John Gormley's stupid carbon tax, aided by fuel merchants pinching up the price:

http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/local/customs_set_to_crack_down_on_home_heating_oil_smuggling_1_2505934

Skopzz, I'm convinced you cannot help yourself, the article is about the ILLEGALITY of this practice and how revenue are cracking down on it, the way you posted it you seem to be saying this is what everyone should be doing it. Enough of this BS.

Skopzz wrote: »

One thing I learnt a long long time ago. Don't believe what is written in nespapers and belive less of whats wriiten in regional papers as many "stories" are very poorly researched and rarely tell the full truth.

This is a classic example.

Using the internet, you can get real time prices for nearly everything in every corner of the world.

1000 litres of kerosene currently costs between €830 - €860 in Republic of Ireland. This includes VAT at 13.5% and carbon tax at 4c per litre.

1000 litres of kerosene in Northern Ireland currently costs between £605 and £630. (€704 - €740) No carbon tax, 5% VAT.

A difference of €125 which is made of purley of different taxes.

Lets look at diesel
    In NI 1000 litres of road diesl currently costs £1420 - about €1650.00
    Locally here to me, 1000 litres of road diesel costs €1429.00

Different countries have different taxes on different goods, even within that same product group. Hence you have a difference in prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

Less than 2% of oil comes from Libya. And this is more than offset with the reduction in consuption due to the Japan earthquake. So it should be cheaper not dearer ...

Its pure bloody ripoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Panrich

You see, I would have more sympathy with the retailers and their crocodile tears that the international price of oil is the cause of the high prices if....... ALL the petrol stations in my area didn't jump from 132.9 to 142.9 on the day after the budget.

Panrich wrote: »
    You see, I would have more sympathy with the retailers and their crocodile tears that the international price of oil is the cause of the high prices if....... ALL the petrol stations in my area didn't jump from 132.9 to 142.9 on the day after the budget.

most busy stations get deliveries 3 times a week. At that time, I monitored pumps.ie and it took many stations 3 - 4 days before prices were increased. It was actually noted in one of their forums that it actually did take a few days before the tax hikes were added to all stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

sandin wrote: »
    most busy stations get deliveries 3 times a week. At that time, I monitored pumps.ie and it took many stations 3 - 4 days before prices were increased. It was actually noted in one of their forums that it actually did take a few days before the tax hikes were added to all stations.
    All of the stations around me (drumcondra) had risen prices hours before midnight (when the budget increases were due to come in) and duly raised them again at midnight. They had also been increasing prices before the budget was announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I think it's great. It's expensive for me too but as I can't yet afford an EV I'm hoping it will encourage richer folk to buy them.

It's time to move away from the oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

Topaz on the malahide road (clare hall)

last sunday on my way to the cinema petrol was 150.9
    coming back 2 hours later it was up to 152.9
    now its 151.9

robbing cúnts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

why are we paying E1.50?
    because motorists are a very easy target! imagine the gov cut their % on the price of fuel! now try and go raise that from welfare savings or PS cuts or PAYE increases! YEAH RIGHT! Although the petrol stations I imagine really dont like the high price of fuel, as they have probably reached the point of diminishing returns! anything over E1.50 and you cross a psychological barrier...

• Advertisement

Funky G wrote: »
    Topaz on the malahide road (clare hall)

last sunday on my way to the cinema petrol was 150.9
    coming back 2 hours later it was up to 152.9
    now its 151.9

robbing cúnts

on a €50 fill, you're talking about 32c

Gee - the petrol station owner is going to retire on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

try 70 euro per fill. every week.

are you the petrol station owner?

lol.

btw, cheaper down in apple in kinsealy - think they are about 148.9 for petrol

plus they drop there prices after 11pm by 2 cent per litre on petrol and diesel for anyone on the nightshift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

32 cents here, 32 cents there. Over 12 months, several 32cent increases surely must add up?

eas wrote: »
    32 cents here, 32 cents there. Over 12 months, several 32cent increases surely must add up?

There are tons of fuel staions on the market for anyone who thinks they can make money from them.

btw - a station takes on average 3c - 4c from each litre of fuel. Credit card fee will cost 1%, then there's staff, rent, rates etc.

Put it this way - if I was given one free, i wouldn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭david....

i work in a very busy petrol station on the outskirts of a town, it is still busy but i dont think there is great money to be made in it anymore.
    i sign for petrol and diesel whenever it arrives in and the diesel docket i signed today stated he buys diesel in at 137.8 and sells it for 140.9 !!!
    that is a very low profit imo and we get drive off's every so often which effect profits too!!
    overall we need deli sales to survive cause he has to pay for staff , bins , rent etc. and general problems which occur around the shop to survive!! there is more expenses than you think in running a shop and its not a plain sailing ;)

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone is having a go at the point of sale price.
    Its greedy speculators and the governments tax grab thats the rip off.
    The crude price has dropped quite a bit yet the price at the pump seems to be going up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

jett wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is having a go at the point of sale price.
    Its greedy speculators and the governments tax grab thats the rip off.
    The crude price has dropped quite a bit yet the price at the pump seems to be going up?

When you convert the dollar to euro the crude price is within 2% of the highs of May and within 10% of the highs of 2008.

Yes, speculators drive the raw material prices up, government add huge taxes and less than 10c is divided between importer and retailer.

Cynicaly I suspect a right old fiddle between currencies, commodities, interest rates etc.
    Whichever way they go, they compensate back to maximum rip off.

jett wrote: »
    Cynicaly I suspect a right old fiddle between currencies, commodities, interest rates etc.
    Whichever way they go, they compensate back to maximum rip off.

Not a fiddle but there is a correlation.

If the US dollar rises, it because the economy is getting better, oil prices go up because speculators are betting on even better news.

Get rid of the speculators and you'll have the price drop to $60 overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

david.... wrote: »
    i work in a very busy petrol station on the outskirts of a town, it is still busy but i dont think there is great money to be made in it anymore.
    i sign for petrol and diesel whenever it arrives in and the diesel docket i signed today stated he buys diesel in at 137.8 and sells it for 140.9 !!!
    that is a very low profit imo and we get drive off's every so often which effect profits too!!
    overall we need deli sales to survive cause he has to pay for staff , bins , rent etc. and general problems which occur around the shop to survive!! there is more expenses than you think in running a shop and its not a plain sailing ;)

You're dead right. Until you work in a petrol station, you have no idea how many people actually drive off or forget to pay it really is crazy.

Brent crude is down 15% in the last month, where is the reduction at the pumps ???

gflood wrote: »
    Brent crude is down 15% in the last month, where is the reduction at the pumps ???

Where are you getting your information?

Brent crude oil (this is the stuff used in Europe) was at $119 today, the dollar is at 1.41. In euro terms its within 1% of the year high set in may and in euro, just 4% below the all time high set in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

unleaded here in Holland is roundabout 1.68 a litre, diesel is 1.26

no its not check Bloomberg. Its currently trading at $94 a barrel due to Greece and Syria unrests (lower demand)

http://www.forexdirectory.net/oil.html

But even though the USA is apparently in trouble the world still wants the yankee dollar.
    As usual the money changers are doing very well thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

2 years ago the price diesel in Spain was the same as here, now here is 25c dearer per litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

no its not check Bloomberg. Its currently trading at $94 a barrel due to Greece and Syria unrests (lower demand)

I know our oil is bought via Brent Crude, which was at $119/barrel this morning. The $94 is for whatever oil is traded in New York.

Here's a page with all brent & wti prices, refined fuels such as diesel / unleaded etc. Unleaded & diesel prices are per US gallon - 3.8litres.

http://www.profitquotes.com/commodities-quotes.mpl?i=1&Oil+and+Gas+Quotes

a little work on a calculator adding in the 59.6c government duties + 21% vat will give you an idea of the tiny margins the stations work on.

Have seen two large duty rises plus VAT.
    Nett effect less driving and less tourists.
    Law of diminishing returns seems to rule.
    Its no problem for those on gold plated "expenses"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Currently over in the US

Petrol prices start at $3.39 per GALLON, most expensive (higher octane, vpower) being around $3.72, and diesel is about $3.70

What that works out as, is roughly €0.74 a litre. There was complete uproar a few months ago when prices went anywhere near $4 a gallon, yet we're paying double that..

What. The. Fook.

Currently over in the US

Petrol prices start at $3.39 per GALLON, most expensive (higher octane, vpower) being around $3.72, and diesel is about $3.70

What that works out as, is roughly €0.74 a litre. There was complete uproar a few months ago when prices went anywhere near $4 a gallon, yet we're paying double that..

What. The. Fook.

But in the US they take taxes off you in many many other ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Currently over in the US

What. The. Fook.

The US incase you did'nt notice has a big ass military + nuclear weapons and we have a few old cannons. That's the reason they have cheap as chips fuel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Don't forget the rebate that he'll get for the volume of sales.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

whiterebel wrote: »

Don't forget the rebate that he'll get for the volume of sales.......

Plus most cars fule tanks are 50 to 80 liters then there is all the over price stuff in a garage shop.
    Without the pump out side the customers (drivers) would pass on by.

But the real rip of in in vat and duty on fule
    It's a cash cow for the gov

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

i sign for petrol and diesel whenever it arrives in and the diesel docket i signed today stated he buys diesel in at 137.8 ;)
    Why is the invoice price quoted on a delivery docket? That's unusual!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Panrich

Sorry for bringing this up to the top again but reading through these posts, it seems that there is at most a 3-4c wiggle room for price variation at the pump all things considered.
    However, petrol in Trim and generally around Meath/West Dublin has been €1.679 (down from €1.699) for the last while. I paid €1.679 this morning. How then can all garages in Ballina Co. Mayo sell petriol for €1.549? It's a huge difference and you'd think transportation costs would be greater the further you move from Dublin port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

have a look here and see if there's cheaper petrol in your area:
    http://www.pumps.ie/

Texaco
    Ballina Road, Foxford
    154.9c
    31st Oct

Great Gas
    N 17, Claregalway
    158.9c
    31st Oct

SAFE Fuels
    Roscommon Road, Athlone
    158.9c
    30th Oct

Independent
    Carnmore Cross, Oranmore
    159.9c
    31st Oct

Texaco
    Galway Road, Ballindine
    159.9c
    31st Oct

Topaz
    Claremorris rd, Ballindine
    159.9c
    30th Oct

Esso
    Fairyhouse Rd, Ratoath
    153.9c
    31st Oct

Independent
    Boyne Road, Hayestown
    155.9c
    31st Oct

Independent
    Kentstown Rd, Navan
    155.9c
    31st Oct

Gulf Oil
    Baltrasna, Ashbourne
    155.9c
    29th Oct

Independent
    Drogheda Road, Mullameelan
    157.9c
    31st Oct

Independent
    Kells Road, Ardee

157.9c
    31st Oct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

have a look here and see if there's cheaper petrol in your area:
    http://www.pumps.ie/

Texaco
    Ballina Road, Foxford
    154.9c
    31st Oct

Great Gas
    N 17, Claregalway
    158.9c
    31st Oct

SAFE Fuels
    Roscommon Road, Athlone
    158.9c
    30th Oct

Independent
    Carnmore Cross, Oranmore
    159.9c
    31st Oct

Texaco
    Galway Road, Ballindine
    159.9c
    31st Oct

Topaz
    Claremorris rd, Ballindine
    159.9c
    30th Oct

Esso
    Fairyhouse Rd, Ratoath
    153.9c
    31st Oct

Independent
    Boyne Road, Hayestown
    155.9c
    31st Oct

Independent
    Kentstown Rd, Navan
    155.9c
    31st Oct

Gulf Oil
    Baltrasna, Ashbourne
    155.9c
    29th Oct

Independent
    Drogheda Road, Mullameelan
    157.9c
    31st Oct

Independent
    Kells Road, Ardee

157.9c
    31st Oct

153.9c WOW. Tis 168.9 around me (UCD area)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Pudsey64

Paid €1.52.8 for petrol in Birr yesterday on my way to Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Never seen such differences in prices of petrol before, 15 cent!

Whats going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never seen such differences in prices of petrol before, 15 cent!

Whats going on?

Think some chains hedged thinking oil prices were going to rocket... and they've not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The price difference is crazy alright, topaz Carlow was 13cent cheaper than topaz Kilkenny yesterday . 153.9 v 166.9 and the Carlow price isnt even the cheapest in the town !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Got petrol for 153.9 in Urlingford today... once I'd gotten to Dublin it was 164.9.

A rough bit of calculation given my car and its MPG says that is 10 miles more driving on the amount I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bcommercial

Anyone know of any budding motorists lobby group around? Motorists have always been the traditional whipping boys n gals for governments whenever they wanted an extra few quid but it's plain to see that now going forward it's going to get a LOT worse from here on, motor tax hikes will be just a start and as long as we're a captive audience we're gonna get royally screwed ... we really do need a strong motorists lobby group to start up here.
    As for petrol prices at the pumps, there never has been an incentive for gov or any gov agency to try and keep pump prices down, cause the higher the forecourt price the higher the % vat the gov takes so a severe conflict of interest there I'd say!

• Advertisement
Advertisement