Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebuyer no longer delivering to Ireland

Options
  • 08-03-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Really bad news - ebuyer no longer accepting Rep of Ireland orders!!!

Its not just the great prices I will miss, but their excellent range and easy to use website. Used ebuyer for years without a hitch.

I spend a few hours last nite trying to source my latest build component list that I had in my ebuyer basket and can't find anyone that carries the selection of products that ebuyer do.

Anyone got recommentations of alternative suppliers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I saw somebody mention this on another thread, something about Irish VAT?
    Scan.co.uk are another uk company. Delivery is a little more than ebuyer. Starts at £10, I think and will jump to £20 beyond a certain weight. They have a good selection across most items. In particular, check their daily deals on the day that you're buying and you might save something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Can't see any mention of the change on the Ebuyer delivery page. How did you hear about the change? Are there any articles about it you could provide links to?

I've bought a few items from them and would be disappointed if they ceased delivery to Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Fnz wrote: »
    Can't see any mention of the change on the Ebuyer delivery page. How did you hear about the change? Are there any articles about it you could provide links to?

I've bought a few items from them and would be disappointed if they ceased delivery to Eire.

I only found out after hours of filling my shopping basket, checking out, and then at the delivery address section, you get the message

"Unfortunately we are no longer able to offer a delivery service to Republic of Ireland.
    We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

You can't proceed any further with the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

At what stage did they cut you off? I got to the stage of putting in credit card details without any warnings? I had to be put in a special delivery bracket to get anything sent over in the first place.

I'm often annoyed with ebuyer, I seem to get their packages within 1 or 2 days or not at all. Would be disappointed to see them go despite them being on my boycott until I need them list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Actually, I've always had to use the 'Google Checkout' option to buy stuff from Ebuyer - have you tried that?

Previously it seemed the post code was the reason my Ebuyer orders would fail at the checkout process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Anyone got recommentations of alternative suppliers?

Sad news indeed about Ebuyer :mad::(.

We really do live in a backwater for online shopping in my opinion.

I use Overclockers.co.uk.

P+P is reasonable in my opinion.

To ship my new Sandybridge build (£1200) including case etc. is around £20.

Aria.co.uk for example charge £30 to post over a £26 sound card i was looking at.

Overclockers charge £9 for the same card. They use DPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Sad news indeed. They were well priced and very fast delivery. Couldn't recommend them enough. When I did my rig they were by far the cheapest for the components.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bullology

I had the same problem buying from these guys in the last few days....... Seems they don't want our business! First Off they make us jump through hoops to get items delivered here with the Postcode issue then they hike up delivery charges in the past year to unbelievably uncompetitive rates! I had stopped using them but do like to keep an eye for cutting edge gadgets on ebuyer and saverstore.com. Recently I have purchased PC components from Amazon.co.uk with free delivery on orders over £25 its cheaper than ebuyer for a 2.5" 500gb HDD also price stuff on Amazon.de I got a pocket tv from them €50 cheaper than on the UK website but depends what you need and how it translates. I would also price stuff on ebay but make sure the delivery charges are reasonable and that you buy from a reputable seller! Bye Bye Ebuyer!

It's an ill wind...

Thanks moonboy. Looks like overclockers is comprehensive, and from quick look, is just as competitive, maybe more so, ebuyer were upping their prices a lot recently.

Bye bye ebuyer, you may not be missed after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Overclocker's forum is top notch as well.

Very knowledgeable people on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Can someone actually confirm this, because it seems so far it's just people giving out. Is there any facts on it? I used google checkout - does that method no longer work?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

yea i order something from during the week payed with google checkout and refunded a few hours later.

Feckers didnt refund me the £9.99 delivery charge though

sent them a email giving out about that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I've lashed them an e-note last night looking for confirmation & will post if I get anything further.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I know too that there will always be a better price for a particular product on one site over another and vice verse? but I just took one random item for the hell of it & compared eBuyer to Overclockers & Scan.

eBuyer:

Overclockers:

Scan:

Probably could reverse that outcome with another product but it shows that eBuyer were good for the most part?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you ever tried hardwareversand.de for large orders? Find them quite good myself, but their flat postage price of €30 puts me off ordering small stuff from them. As for the above Artic Cooler, it's only 15 on HWV. For small stuff like memory or cooling stuff, I goto shop4memory or quietpc.com

Never actually used ebuyer, so can't say how HWV compares, but I will admit that HWV's menu system takes getting used to. I miss the old Komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

What's the deal with Scan.co.uk? I setup an account there a while back, tried logging in a few times since and i'm asked for a postcode that i didn't give when i registered there, so logging in has become impossible. I mean why do it differently than just about every other online shop i can think of?

el dude wrote: »
    What's the deal with Scan.co.uk? I setup an account there a while back, tried logging in a few times since and i'm asked for a postcode that i didn't give when i registered there, so logging in has become impossible. I mean why do it differently than just about every other online shop i can think of?

Have a look HERE

-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Have a look HERE

-

Yeah, makes no difference, still get a message saying they've failed to locate my account.

And how would you recover your account too, given that they only ask for your first and last name and postcode. I've signed up to the website twice, so my first and last name have been entered twice, so there'd be no way for them to differentiate between the two. Bizarre system.

Just to let you guys know the above Artic Cooler item is available on amazon.co.uk for £16.42 + £5.18 Delivery =€26.11 and on amazon.de for €24.90 inc delivery.... Also available on ebay from feverpitchpcs delivered for €28.41. Amazon.co.uk are my absolute fav at the moment and dont forget its free delivery to the ROI on orders over £25 - they should start paying me lol!

bullology wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know the above Artic Cooler item is available on amazon.co.uk for £16.42 + £5.18 Delivery =€26.11 and on amazon.de for €24.90 inc delivery.... Also available on ebay from feverpitchpcs delivered for €28.41. Amazon.co.uk are my absolute fav at the moment and dont forget its free delivery to the ROI on orders over £25 - they should start paying me lol!

Yep & it's €39.95 in PCWorld Galway with no delivery charge :D although with the way petrol prices are going it would take a mini mortgage to go get it :eek:

• Advertisement

Last time I tried to order hardware from amazon.co.uk, I got a reply telling me some items could not be shipped to Ireland - think it had something to certain items coming from affiliates rather than amazon themselves - has this been sorted now?

There are restrictions on some items like ink toner for printers now but all other items including electrical items etc are delivered. I do remember a time when amazon was only good for books but its a superstore nowadays..... Just remember there are third party sellers on there too so you need so filter the sellers in the left panel to show only amazon.co.uk items if you want free "super saver delivery" etc. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Scan's login system is terrible, but overall apart from that they're pretty good. I think that I put in three zeros for the post code to satisfy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Artic Cooler from QuitePC.com - €19.71 + €5.77 (delivery) = €26.64

Didn't know about the free delivery from Amazon.co.uk

On a side note, does anyone know if Amazon will be doing a .ie site once they get the data storage facility in Tallaght set up?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Bear in mind that AFAIK you get free shipping from Amazon if you spend £25 (~€30) or more in one go. Maybe you could get a couple of other bits you need anyway with the cooler? ;)

If you buy this from the seller nord PC on amazon.co.uk you can cut cost further £16.10 + 4.28 Delivery = €24.63.

This is the response I got to my eNote asking if the rumor was true.

ebuyergone.jpg

I have just asked the following but don't expect to get much Info from them?

(1). Can you give some indication as to why this decision was taken by eBuyer?

(2). Is it permanent or it there the possibility of it being reversed anytime soon?

(3). Why did eBuyer elect not to notify its existing southern Ireland customers of this important change?

-

ebuyergone2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I haven't seen anyone say that Overclockers.co.uk at the final checkout charge Irish customers 21.5% VAT. You have to keep that in mind when pricing them up.

The reason why Ocuk do that is due to Irish Law, I can't remember the figures off the top of my head, but when an EU company sells good to the Irish market they don't have to pay VAT on the first €40k they sell.(it's something like that) But once they sell more than that, then they have to start paying the Irish gov VAT.

It's the same with amazon or any company...

The reason why ebuyer might have stopped shipping was probably due to higher accountancy/administration costs which would be involved in having to calculate a different VAT rate for just Irish customers and paying VAT to a different body.

I guess ebuyer will have to figure out if out business is worth the extra cost and then take the time to set up their system to suit us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Advertisement