Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get a small dog in Dublin

• 08-03-2011 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

hi guys , my father in law who is retired has a lovely yorkshire terrier male and has asked me to help him look for a companion for his dog .So I suggested he get one from a rescue centre.

I had a look and it seems the rescue ask for 150e of a donation . Is there any rescue centres around Dublin that are more reasonably priced ?
    The thing is he wouldn't have that much money to spend on a dog at the moment but he has plenty of time on his hands , has a walled secure garden and dog would be adored and living indoors , I have told him about home checks etc and he is fine with that . He is looking for something small maybe a yorkie or yorkie cross , he doesn't mind if he is male or female .

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

If you dont want to spend the money on a rescue then you could always go to the pound. I got my second dog from Ashton pound, he is a Yorkie (cross we think), about 6 years old and the sweetest dog. Only thing you have to think about is even though you only pay €35 (which includes dog licence fee for one year) the dog wont be vaccinated, neutered etc. We spent the following after we got Oz;
    • €90 for vacinations
    • €40 grooming (he was badly matted when we got him)
    • €40 kennel cough vac
    • €230 neuter, teeth clean & microchip
    • €60 treatment for kennel cough (he picked it up in the pound & was sick for 2 weeks)
    If I were you I would save a little while and get one from a rescue that will do all of the above (apart from teeth clean) for €100-150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

Thanks Tillygirl that's actually a very good point . To spend the extra money atleast everything is looked after with the dog , I will chat to him about this thanks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

gucciali wrote: »
    hi guys , my father in law who is retired has a lovely yorkshire terrier male and has asked me to help him look for a companion for his dog .So I suggested he get one from a rescue centre.

I had a look and it seems the pound ask for 150e of a donation . Is there any rescue centres around Dublin that are more reasonably priced ?
    The thing is he wouldn't have that much money to spend on a dog at the moment but he has plenty of time on his hands , has a walled secure garden and dog would be adored and living indoors , I have told him about home checks etc and he is fine with that . He is looking for something small maybe a yorkie or yorkie cross , he doesn't mind if he is male or female .

I think you must have gone to a rescue, rather than a pound, where was this? The pound is in River Road, Ashtown.

Hi ISDW I was looking at dogstrust yesterday , they said they expect a donation of 150 e for each dog .
    Actually yes it is a rescue !

Hi ISDW I was looking at dogstrust yesterday , they said they expect a donation of 150 e for each dog .
    Actually yes it is a rescue !

Some of the smaller rescues ask for less of a donation if you were willing to travel down the country a bit. My local rescue ask for donation of between €80 and €120 in Galway.

• Advertisement

Also this may be a really silly question , please excuse my ignorance but waht really is the difference between a rescue and a pound ? Is it that a rescue will try to rehome a dog and a pound won't ? Also , is it better to get from one rather than the other ?

Pounds can put the dog down after their 5 day stray time or 1 day if surrendered. Some pounds will work with rescues and rehome as many as possible but some wont rehome at all.

Rescues (in general??) have a no kill policy. Also will neuter, microchip dogs etc whereas pounds will rehome them as they are found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also this may be a really silly question , please excuse my ignorance but waht really is the difference between a rescue and a pound ? Is it that a rescue will try to rehome a dog and a pound won't ? Also , is it better to get from one rather than the other ?
    The general idea is that a rescue's mandate is to save dogs and find them a new home. A pound simply takes surrendered or stray dogs and puts them down.

There is of course a whole spectrum of varying attitudes that places take.

Some (but very few) rescues are blasé and will take dogs for rehoming but put down any dog which is injured, old or otherwise not in 100% condition. Other rescues (called "no-kill") will never put down a dog unless the dog has a terminal illness.

Likewise, most pounds hold onto dog for a couple of days before putting them down. Some pounds will hold onto for as long as is practical to try and get them a home. It depends on the attitude of the local warden. Some/many of them hate animals :rolleyes:

It's hard to say which is best. A rescue is good because the animal will have been medically treated, spayed, vaccinated and microchipped and most likely will have been assessed to see what kind of rehoming situation is best - i.e. does it suit a family home with lots of kids or a farm environment with lots of space, etc.
    Taking a dog from the pound, you are saving an animal in imminent danger of being put to sleep but you will have to do all of the work yourself in terms of medical treatment and at the end of the day you may end up with a dog that does not suit your lifestyle and must be rehomed.

In general I would recommend a pound dog for someone who's willing to put in the effort and knows what they're doing. New dog owners or someone who wants a dog that's likely to be healthy and happy should go to a rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I had a look and it seems the pound ask for 150e of a donation . Is there any rescue centres around Dublin that are more reasonably priced ?

thats outrageous.fair enough a donation, but to ask for one and for that amount i know what id tell them to do.
    when we got our dog in the pound we were asked for nothing but we gave a donation.after all your taking the dog off their hands.i realise they need donations to keep going but 150 euro is way to much to be asking for imo.
    try another pound.
    and i to would be interested to know what the difference is between a pound and a rescue is.
    good luck btw.your father in law seems like the perfect owner a dog would love.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    i realise they need donations to keep going but 150 euro is way to much to be asking for imo.
    That's a rescue amount. When you consider the cost of treating each animal to get it to a rehomeable state, €160 is not a lot to ask. If you got a puppy from someone for free, you'd have to pay multiples of that amount in its first year.

• Advertisement

thats outrageous.fair enough a donation, but to ask for one and for that amount i know what id tell them to do.
    when we got our dog in the pound we were asked for nothing but we gave a donation.after all your taking the dog off their hands.i realise they need donations to keep going but 150 euro is way to much to be asking for imo.
    try another pound.
    and i to would be interested to know what the difference is between a pound and a rescue is.

Thanks crazygeryy , yes my father in law adores the dog he has at the moment he is the most lovable happiest dog , but father in law reckons dog is lonely and needs a friend! So I thought this would be the perfect oppertunity to give some other unfortunate little dog a happy life !

seamus wrote: »
    That's a rescue amount. When you consider the cost of treating each animal to get it to a rehomeable state, €160 is not a lot to ask. If you got a puppy from someone for free, you'd have to pay multiples of that amount in its first year.

I didnt.we got him i gave 50 euro he was already vaccinated and neutered and from then on food costs and whatever else but it should be up to the rescuer what he/she pays, the dog is getting a new home.and it is a lot to ask in imo.how is asking for that amount going to encourage people to "rescue" them in the first place?

@ gucciali you hit the nail on the head "give some other unfortunate little dog a happy life".thats worth millions in my eyes.

I run a small rescue and owe my vets €2000 at the moment, how would you suggest I pay that if I didn't ask for a donation? That bill has been run up by taking in dogs that need medical treatment, and just getting dogs neutered, vaccinated and microchipped before I rehome them. Do you seriously think that I should just take these dogs in and pay for it all out of my own pocket and then just give the dog to someone else for a couple of euros? The donation I ask for doesn't cover the cost that I would have spent on that dog.

how is asking for that amount going to encourage people to "rescue" them in the first place?
    How do you expect rescues to stay open without asking for money? If a dog is in a rescue for a week, €50 will barely cover the staff costs of walking, checking and cleaning that dog in the week. Never mind the food, heating, lighting, treatment, etc.

Rescues are charities, not public services. They don't get any government funding (or at least nothing worth talking about). You're giving them money because if they didn't exist, thousands of additional dogs would be destroyed each year and we'd have dog & cat population problems of epidemic proportions.

If you can't afford a €150 outlay for a dog or a cat, then you cannot afford to keep the animal long-term. Food is relatively cheap, but medical care isn't. And every pet requires medical care eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

how is asking for that amount going to encourage people to "rescue" them in the first place?

Rescues asking €100 - €150 are only asking for a fraction of the costs of rescuing the dog to be covered, if a rescue didn't ask this money it would be closed inside 6 months because the number of dogs needing help never ends.
    As TillyGIrl said, these were the costs she had to pay after getting her dog at a 'reasonable' price from the pound, that's what a rescue pays for medical expenses too, it's not like vets treat dogs from rescues for free.
    TillyGirl wrote: »
    We spent the following after we got Oz;
    • €90 for vacinations
    • €40 grooming (he was badly matted when we got him)
    • €40 kennel cough vac
    • €230 neuter, teeth clean & microchip
    • €60 treatment for kennel cough (he picked it up in the pound & was sick for 2 weeks)
    If I were you I would save a little while and get one from a rescue that will do all of the above (apart from teeth clean) for €100-150.

If you managed to get a dog for €50 and it was already vac'd and neutered then you were very lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

try another pound.

Sorry but how on earth is it outrageous??:confused: Dogs dont live on fresh air for the time period they spend at the rescue you know, they have to be fed, bedded, wormed, vaccinated, neutered and so on. So how do you think rescues manage to survive and keep the dogs alive if they dont get any donations??
    Most rescues are run voluntarily so they depend on people to donate money to keep the dogs fed and healthy. The donation costs wouldnt come anywhere near what it actually costs to look after these animals so how could you say its outrageous?
    Dogs are living creatures and it costs money to keep them alive so they are absolutely in their right to ask for a donation.
    Nothing comes free these days, especially not a dog.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but how on earth is it outrageous??:confused: Dogs dont live on fresh air for the time period they spend at the rescue you know, they have to be fed, bedded, wormed, vaccinated, neutered and so on. So how do you think rescues manage to survive and keep the dogs alive if they dont get any donations??
    Most rescues are run voluntarily so they depend on people to donate money to keep the dogs fed and healthy. The donation costs wouldnt come anywhere near what it actually costs to look after these animals so how could you say its outrageous?
    Dogs are living creatures and it costs money to keep them alive so they are absolutely in their right to ask for a donation.
    Nothing comes free these days, especially not a dog

you should go back and read my original post.i am not saying they are not right in asking for a donation and i know nothing comes for free.all im saying is 150 euros is a lot.and again its my opinion.im all for donations.

@ ISDW just as a matter of interest if i go in with 50 euros in my hand to you tomorrow and say thats all i can afford but id love to take that dog there i will give it a great home lots of love with acres of room and food etc, will you refuse me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

you should go back and read my original post.i am not saying they are not right in asking for a donation and i know nothing comes for free.all im saying is 150 euros is a lot.and again its my opinion.im all for donations.

@ ISDW just as a matter of interest if i go in with 50 euros in my hand to you tomorrow and say thats all i can afford but id love to take that dog there i will give it a great home lots of love with acres of room and food etc, will you refuse me?

But 150 is not a lot, when you think about what it cost to get the dog to you. All the food it was fed while it was there, the bedding, the worming, vaccinations, neutering and so on will come to a lot more than 150 so i cant understand how you think 150 is a lot, its actually a bargain.

Id be under the illlusion that if you arent able/willing to pay a donation for the dog then you cannot afford to take care of the dog on an ongoing basis.

If I worked in a rescue and someone came in with a 50 telling me that's all they have, they want a dog, the first thing that would come to my mind is - "If that's all you have, then how you are going to look after this dog, buy beddings, toys & food and take care of it on an ongoing basis?".

I know a number of rescues will let an animal go at a reduced price if the owner agrees to sign up to a small monthly donation. Obviously people can cancel these donations, but most won't.

Yes, I think I would, if you can't afford to pay anymore, how on earth are you going to pay the vet bills, food etc that the dog needs? I will have paid out to have the dog neutered, vaccinated, microchipped etc, it is just me in this rescue, I get no funding whatsoever. Should my own dogs then not eat or go to the vet so that I can fund you getting a dog? Or maybe my son should go without something that he needs or wants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The thing is though, what if a rescue were to point to their dogs waiting for an operation or vaccinations and ask you which 1 did you want not to have the treatment? The €100 difference between the asking donation and the €50 you have in your hand has to come from somewhere, would you be happy to pick a dog not to have treatment, or wait for treatment so you could give a fraction of the needed money?

Like ISDW said the money has to come from somewhere, in all small rescues there's a constant cash flow problem. They depend on donations (including the adoption donation) to continue their work, that €100 might not seem to make a huge difference to the general public but every single cent counts to a rescue. Don't forget the rescues aren't run for profit, the small ones in particular tend to be subsidised, sometimes heavily by the volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

all im saying is 150 euros is a lot.

Unfortunately 150 only covers the cost of getting the dog "rehomable" in the minority of cases. The boy I have here has so far cost over 300 in vet bills, his treatment is still only half way there and we haven't even looked at getting him neutered or vaxd yet. The rescue has been very quick to send me money for his treatment, otherwise Id not be able to afford to do it. When rehoming I don't think the rescue will be asking for a higher donation based on the cost of him. I honestly don't know how they do it. Some people are very generous when it comes to donating and without those people the rescues couldn't continue.

EDIT: sorry just realised you said small dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's a good point if you cannot afford an adoption fee which is much cheaper than buying a dog and can be cheaper than taking a dog from a pound and even cheaper than taking a dog off the street because most rescues will have the dog already chipped/vaxed etc.

e.g. we have a collie she was a stray for sure and we literally took off the streets she cost us at least €300 by the time we had her vaccinated, chipped and spayed etc. and that's a dog that we basically got for nothing because she was clearly dumped and noone else could take her on.

So €150 is a pretty good deal esp. when a good rescue will have the dog chipped etc. already and also be able to give you some background into their behaviour etc. etc. plus you have back up if something goes wrong and you need advice or have any questions they are there to help and can suggest ways to help a dog settle in etc.

If you can't afford the adoption fee and would rather get a dog for nothing there are plenty of ads around but be careful where you get a dog from but you will still end up spending more than €150 of health check, vax etc.

I have 2 dogs that were rescues/stray and one bought and I can honestly say money aside taking a rescue dog is so rewarding, if you knew half the work that went on behind the scenes to run a rescue you'd wonder why they aren't charging more.

Vet fees these days are huuuuuuge so ensure there's a way to pay any unforseen vet bills before taking on any dog, insurance is even high and that's only after you pay the 70 excess.

Not trying to discourage you op just saying that from experience adopting a dog via a rescue and giving an adoption fee is the cheapest way to go in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I paid 50 euro to a rescue for a kitten, and there was no question of vaccinations or neutering, they didn't even have the resources for a home check. Way I saw it was that it would keep the remaining hordes of cats and kittens fed for second or two. It's sad because relatives of mine in the uk were given vouchers for neutering, and had to pay the rest towards the surgery before being allowed to take the kittens. That's what should be happening here, but the numbers of abandoned animals are so overwhelming it can't be done.
    I'd consider 150 for a dog that has been vaccinated and neutered to be fantastic - it would cost way more to have that done yourself.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have spoken to him about the rescue fee and he agrees with this , it's better to have a dog vacc'd , microchipped etc , and also I think dogs coming from a rescue will be tested for temprament which would be important , as the dog would have to be happy around kids as he has a lot of grandchildren who visit often .

ok so someone made the point that if a person can't afford to pay the rescue fees , then they can't afford to keep a dog , I disagree , yes maybe the dog might get ill and you would have fees etc, but you would cross that bridge when you come to it. Someone who might not be able to pay fees might be willing to provide the dog with a warm loving happy home and you can't buy that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stella2010

Try
    www.dogsaid.ie
    Based near Finglas
    They are 70 or 80 donation as far as I know.
    All dogs are vaccinated - neutered if over 6 months and microchipped.

Stella2010 wrote: »
    Try
    www.dogsaid.ie
    Based near Finglas

Thanks so much Stellla 2010 , I will have a look now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kitiara

or simply start your search here:

http://www.irishanimals.ie/dublin_homes.html

Stella2010 wrote: »
    Try
    www.dogsaid.ie
    Based near Finglas

thats more like it.id have no problem paying that as a matter of fact id offer that.

@ seamus "If you can't afford a €150 outlay for a dog or a cat, then you cannot afford to keep the animal long-term. "

im sorry but thats complete bs.what about an oap who walks in off the street looking for a small dog to keep him company.hes not going to be able to afford the 150 euros but he would give the dog a great home and as somebody said the medical things dont come into it really in a big way until the dog is older.in most cases.it costs sfa to feed the dog and you could groom him yourself if you have any sense.its all about rehoming the dogs 150 doesnt encourage the majority of people to go in and rescue a dog i would think.

looking at the buy and sell online today theres at least a dozen adverts giving! away dogs not to mind selling them.

• Advertisement

thats more like it.id have no problem paying that as a matter of fact id offer that.

@ seamus "If you can't afford a €150 outlay for a dog or a cat, then you cannot afford to keep the animal long-term. "

im sorry but thats complete bs.what about an oap who walks in off the street looking for a small dog to keep him company.hes not going to be able to afford the 150 euros but he would give the dog a great home and as somebody said the medical things dont come into it really in a big way until the dog is older.in most cases.it costs sfa to feed the dog and you could groom him yourself if you have any sense.its all about rehoming the dogs 150 doesnt encourage the majority of people to go in and rescue a dog i would think.

looking at the buy and sell online today theres at least a dozen adverts giving! away dogs not to mind selling them.

So you really believe that young dogs never get sick? My dog Gus was only 5 when he died of lymphoma. Young dogs never have accidents? There are a few posters on here with young dogs that have cost them thousands in vets bills through illness or accidents, thankfully most of them had insurance.

And those dogs that are being given away, are they vaccinated, microchipped, neutered? The vast majority I would say are not.

Your posts are coming across as though you think rescues are trying to rip people off somehow. I did rehome a dog to someone once for a lot less than I usually ask for, a lot less. The guy said he'd send me more money when he could, I never got another cent.

Advertisement