Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TEST LAUNCH] http://search.boards.ie - now ye're searching

Options
  • 08-03-2011 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

We're launching http://search.boards.ie to the site soon but we'd like you to test it first and let us know what you think.

Major kudos to Ross and the moderators who have been working on and testing this out over the past while.

Thanks in advance!

Darragh
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I like it. Good work lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Ive just been giving this a spin now... excellent idea, boards has a wealth of Irish specific information that can be difficult to wade through via google. This is a very good idea.

Would youse consider adding maybe 'Last Year' in the Date section to the side. Some things I searched for there, the top results were from a couple of years, maybe 4+ years ago. That info might not be as relevent and when you search by 'last month', that info might not have the quality. Maybe you guys arent viewing it as a knowledge base search, as I am, but more a conversation based search.

Do youse have plans to put some of the 'advanced search' options from the boards previous forum search into this?

OH! and in case I havent been abundantly clear good job. I rarely give feedback, just noticed this on Twitter and Kudos for doing it. Searching for Irish info/knowledge/expertise on the Internet can be very hit and miss this is an excellent idea. Order by thanks is also a good idea, Im curious to see whether it'll discern quality info or funny info... so far quality

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Can now search for C&C in the photography forum. Yay.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I foresee an excellent navel-gazing afternoon of rereading my old posts ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Finally you can search for TLAs!

But how do I put a date range, Forum, Poster or see oldest first?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Its very slow

use this > http://sphinxsearch.com/

if the dev team need help with mysql,php and sphinx integration I would be happy to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Should be able to refine your search beforehand, otherwise it's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Brilliant, esp the date line for when the post was made, much easier to find small threads with only a few posts but with important information in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Airsofter101

Not my cuppa tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Brilliant - It is suitably low tech so I can use it -and thats good.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I like it. Nice and simple, easy to use. Good work lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I find it a lot better than the other system. Very handy that you can filter on certain forum after you enter your initial search.

Maybe you could display the results by date. Most recent first.
    Some of the results displayed 1st are from 4 / 5 years ago.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's there is very good. It needs more basic features before it will replace the existing search though (search by poster, posts vs threads, prefilter posts by forum and time...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Maybe you could display the results by date. Most recent first.
    Some of the results displayed 1st are from 4 / 5 years ago.

In the light blue bar near the top, to the right it has 'newest first' this will display by newest

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

How do you search by username?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

3 character search-freindly! yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It looks good but would be nice if you could do some pre filters before the initial search

Also if you search, then set the newest first button then search again for something else it resets to best match. It should probably remember what you had selected when you re-search from the same page.

The reset also happens if you search, select a filter and then search again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I like it, I like it a lot. Just tried it a few times but way more accurate than the last one and seems to pull up more relevant results.
    Fair play to the developers!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

An advanced search option?

But its very good so far - well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Handy!

Annoying having to click back to the previous page if you sort by date etc. That would stop me using it altogether (yes, I'm that petty)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ugh. Can't select forum that you want to search, or the user :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I like it, going to be a big help in searching for old threads.

If the date filters could be out on the first page it would be even better, but even so, well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

I like it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I like it. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's really great. Fair play to all of ya for developing it, its realy handy.

The only suggestion I would have is maybe including an option for "Last 6 Months" in the date sidebar.

Otherwise though, its top notch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Now ye're searchin'

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Thanks, this is awesome! Great work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

i like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

excellent, so much better than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Thanks Guys , i like it alot so much easier to use .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement