Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TEST LAUNCH] http://search.boards.ie - now ye're searching

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

that is much better now - great stuff now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Not my cuppa tea
    Ya i like the original search myself,i search for new activity on threads i posted in since my last visit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Won't this mean a lot more Zombie threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

WilliamOC wrote: »
    Now ye're searchin'

Dont meant to hijack the thread, but it would be possible for Boards.ie to have a shop (generate some income) with slogans on tee's like this and Now ye're talking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

It looks great, Much clearer and more accessible for searches, Good work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I was wondering where do you get the that skin..it looks really good?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Its really good, well done guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

I think its a lot better than the current search system...

A+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I far rather the old search system and really hope you don't get rid of it for this. I use the search alot and this search does not allow me to do the 2 main things I use the current search for -

1. To find all threads I have posted on and see what has had new posts (and which are most recently updated) since I was last on boards - I use advanced search, enter my username in author and select show results by threads.
    I cannot get this information from the new search

2. To find where someone has responded directly to something i've posted on a fast moving thread by quoting my post - I use advanced search, enter my username in keywords field and click show results as posts
    I cannot find this info from the new search.

When the new search is made available, would the old advanced search still remain available? Otherwise we'd be loosing functionality (unless i'm missing something from the new one?)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

finally 3 letter searches are possible - excellent.

Everything else - meh. prefer current look and options.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Change the default search results to newest to be displayed first. Some of the searches I've done are dragging up threads, 5-9 years old first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

prefer the old setup and the google search on the opening page is the job aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Mc Love wrote: »
    Dont meant to hijack the thread, but it would be possible for Boards.ie to have a shop (generate some income) with slogans on tee's like this and Now ye're talking?
    There used to be one selling tees and cups and stuff if memory serves. Think it closed down for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Oh wow, now I can see what everyone's saying about me in the threads I don't get around to looking at..

Interesting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MT3

I like it, effecient and easy to spot what you're looking for.

But, I think it would nicer if there was less writing on both sides. Either keep it to one side or put it somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jw93

Great work lads its much better than the current search tool it shows up much more relavant results

Thanks alot,
    Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tags

Not too shabby :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lara_k

I like the new search system, it is much improved! Thank you.

One of my biggest complaints about the Google tool was whenever I clicked on one of the results it did not open a new page to that specific thread so if I wanted to return to my search results I'd have to go back to the home page and type in my search criteria again. But you have fixed that now - no more frustration! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Clean, simple and easy. Nice.

Remains to be seen what the actual search engine is like - I've only done one search. Anything's an improvement on vBulletin's basic engine though so that's gotta be a plus ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Brilliant idea. WAY better than the old version.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭BABYDOLL

Looks Good thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Top notch, much better. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Really happy with it - great work guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The good: 3 letter search! Finally!

The bad: no ability to pre-filter, no ability to search by forum, thread title, username.
    Isn't this just effectively pretty much the same as google search with "site:boards.ie" added to the search criteria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Nice one! Very easy to use, and very fast.

Don't let up!

For v2 I'd like

- 'intelligent search' eg devalera = De Valera.
    - search by date, tags, poster, forum.thankers
    - some of the common search thingies...so If I enter 'horse7:thumbs up& De Valera' it shows (poster=Horse7) AND ( (isthanked=true) OR ((contains 'thumbsup') OR (contains'thumbs up') )) AND ((contains 'devalera')OR (contains 'De Valera'))

Could ye have that ready by Paddy's day? I have that earmarked as a boardsie day, this would help so much!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

great! now ye're searching :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Its a keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

colly10 wrote: »
    I far rather the old search system and really hope you don't get rid of it for this. I use the search alot and this search does not allow me to do the 2 main things I use the current search for -

1. To find all threads I have posted on and see what has had new posts (and which are most recently updated) since I was last on boards - I use advanced search, enter my username in author and select show results by threads.
    I cannot get this information from the new search

2. To find where someone has responded directly to something i've posted on a fast moving thread by quoting my post - I use advanced search, enter my username in keywords field and click show results as posts
    I cannot find this info from the new search.

When the new search is made available, would the old advanced search still remain available? Otherwise we'd be loosing functionality (unless i'm missing something from the new one?)

Just subscribe to the threads you post but no email notifications.

Go to User CP and they are all there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Did the job for me. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement