Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TEST LAUNCH] http://search.boards.ie - now ye're searching

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

The only issue I'd have is the changing case of the 'b' in boards from lower to uppercase, But other than that it's good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

its good lads nice work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The returned posts are to broad and the input needs to have the ability to filter the search terms. You need to be able to narrow the search down to a user, a forum, and time scale.

So whats needed is something like the advanced search we have now.

But having said that it looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

clivej wrote: »
    You need to be able to narrow the search down to a user, a forum, and time scale.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

It's coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

wow - loads of work has gone into that, thanks it's great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

amen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Here's my UX/UI points:

The search page is very bare with minimal functionality. While there is the 'that's how Google do it' argument, it must be pointed out that boards is not Google. There's a big difference in the information behind the search box and the way it manipulated for the results. You could have a hidden div below the search box which becomes visible when the user selects 'show more options'. This could hold options like 'select from top level categories', 'select from My Threads', 'select from My Forums', 'search by thread' and 'search by posts'.

There's no dropdowns from the top nav which is fine if you just haven't got around to rolling it out. Should the top nav be in a different style to the rest of the site?

On the results page:

The grey text colour (#999999) in the .panel class does not have enough contrast so is hard to read for around 10% of users with vision issues.

Could have date range option in the lhs.
    Could have a display more forums option below the top ten listed in the lhs.
    Could have number of results per page option available.
    You have not used the :visited css selector at all. So users basically can't tell the links they have already visited. That's a simple one line css addition. The :hover one could also be used.
    Could also use the date posted in the results in addition to how long ago the result page was posted.
    The previous and next pagination links at the bottom should be moved further away from the individual page links to minimse misclicking. See the 2 gaps in Google's pagination link layout.

hth and keep up the good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

I quite like it.
    Would agree it could use a few advanced options such as username search etc
    But it's pretty quick and is user friendly
    Is it running on a GSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

When I did a search and tried to go to page 2 it brought me back to the boards homepage, that doesnt seem right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

great work well done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Good work people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Eoinite

Just tested it quickly... it's very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

clivej wrote: »
    The returned posts are to broad and the input needs to have the ability to filter the search terms. You need to be able to narrow the search down to a user, a forum, and time scale.

So whats needed is something like the advanced search we have now.

But having said that it looks well.

+1

To answer Sharrows question as to why, over the years I've learned that certain posters will have giving the best answers/info in reply to some specific questions/topics, hence been able to filter by user is very useful. Same goes for other types of filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It's really good! Clear, concise and easy on the eyes.. What else would you want? Good job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I like it, it's a lot better than the old search. Well done guys, I'm sure it took a lot of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Nice stalker friendly tool.

E.G,

Search for DeVore.

http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=devore

I can see he frequents the Helpdesk most, then After Hours. And he like Quake, poker, Counterstrike.

It does need some search functions like 'Search by User', & 'Threads/Posts by me'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

its grand.good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭resistantdoor

It's really good! Clear, concise and easy on the eyes.. What else would you want? Good job!!

Money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DaveMaC

Nice one, Boards was crying out for a good search engine like this; well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Me likes too, well done, much better than old search button!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Darragh wrote: »
    Hi folks

We're launching http://search.boards.ie to the site soon but we'd like you to test it first and let us know what you think.

Major kudos to Ross and the moderators who have been working on and testing this out over the past while.

Thanks in advance!

Darragh

Excellent spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

pretty slick guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I prefer the new one , good stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

this is so efficient and a real time saver. This board is huge and takes ages to weed thru the forums.
    Thanks for the good job!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Nice stalker friendly tool.

E.G,

Search for DeVore.

http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=devore

I can see he frequents the Helpdesk most, then After Hours. And he like Quake, poker, Counterstrike.

It does need some search functions like 'Search by User', & 'Threads/Posts by me'.

Doesn't that just mean that's where his username is used most by others, and not where he posts the most?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I like it too, its fast and provides the results Im looking for. Dont change it please!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love it - hope you keep it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

I love it. thanks so much. Its great the way you can just hit the back button if the thread doesn't suit and all of the search results are still there. This didn't happen with the old search engine on Boards. So thanks a mil. Very helpful. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

It very googlike(it my new word meaning "like google").
    People will recognise that and find it easy to use.

Good work!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement