Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TEST LAUNCH] http://search.boards.ie - now ye're searching

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭knick_knack

seems to work pretty well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Don't like it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Heyo,

Just an update to let you know that the "advanced" search page is now live for testing, you can access it by clicking the "advanced search" link on either the search homepage or at the top of each result page.

A couple of example searches:

Searching for Japanese Earthquake in March - http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=Japanese+Earthquake&date_from=01-03-2011&date_to=31-03-2011
    Searching for "Total Fitness" in Health & Fitness - http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=%22Total+Fitness%22&f=252
    Searching for mentions of "saorview" in Terrestrial, Satellite and Bargain Alerts since January 1st, 2011 - http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=%22saorview%22&f=346,55,56&date_from=01-01-2011
    Searching for world trade center on September 11th, 2001 - http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=world+trade+center&date_from=11-09-2001&date_to=11-09-2001

Thanks for all your feedback so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Ross wrote: »
    Heyo,

Just an update to let you know that the "advanced" search page is now live for testing, you can access it by clicking the "advanced search" link on either the search homepage or at the top of each result page.

Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Progress :)
    Can you add the title only/search body and show as posts/show as threads options?

The dropdown menu doesn't work (in Beta, on Firefox 3.6, windows XP) but I guess you know that.

Also, if ever that clunky forum list can be replaced by the "find a forum" box from the beta menu, that would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

if you type in "you laugh you lose"..id expect the thread to be first, but you get everything except that !! or am i doing it wrong ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's the point?
    Agreed. The old system seemed easier to use, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I used to search for any posts quoting me by searching 'brummytom', 'by post'. Don't seem to be able to do that with the new search?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

How do i search by thread titles again?? I miss the old search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

No searches come up for my username (i search this to see if anyone quoted me recently)

wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Daegerty wrote: »
    No searches come up for my username (i search this to see if anyone quoted me recently)

wtf?

+1 Yeah that's what I came to say as well. That was the only thing I ever used the old search system for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I don't think a lot of people know about this but there's an easy way to find who has quoted you
    www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?do=process&showposts=1&query=

Put your username in after the equals sign on that link, it'll show when people have quoted you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lellskells

I dont like it, it is not throwing up the results I used to get, then again I dont like change:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

It's not possible to return results by threads rather than posts.
    With the old advanced search I could get it to return all threads I posted in returned in order of the most recent post by someone in there.

There's a few things missing but that in particular i'd miss, if it's not broke why fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

brummytom wrote: »
    I used to search for any posts quoting me by searching 'brummytom', 'by post'. Don't seem to be able to do that with the new search?

Came here to post this.
    98% of the time when I use search, it is to do this to see if anyone has quoted/responded to posts I have made.

It is not working for this.

Has the old search been removed now? I can't find it, was able to get to it a few days ago.
    :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Reduced functionality.
    The VB search is very hard on the servers and every search gives it a hammering, remember a couple of years ago search was just turned off because it was such a resources hog. The new search is obviously more efficient, but it would be nice if it had the same functionality.
    Previously they just bought more servers, but when you have employees, their salaries are several good servers each per year.
    I guess this is a growing pain, but hopefully the issues will be resolved.

Example search your own posts, the little images that showed if somebody had replied or quoted you are now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have to say I'm not a fan. I liked the old search, it was very quick and easy to find the information you were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Definitely don't like the new search.

I only used the old search to look up who quoted me and, on occasions, look up specific subjects / terms someone might mention by post. Was incredibly handy though it might have been an absolute hog on the servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hell no, I dont like this search now that it has been forced.
    The old one used to display a different icon if someone had responded to a thread you posted in when you select "Find more Posts by Jumpy"

Definitely not a fan.

Posts appear to be shuffled in the wrong order now too. It's like the Boards Google search which just returns random results.

Very much in agreement with the posts above - no likey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Can we have the old search back? This new one is ****e.

Well there's obviously a reason for getting rid of the old search - it's too much of a strain I believe. But could the new one be in some way matched to the old one? Because it lacks quite a bit of the old one's functionality. Random results being returned? Might as well be no search facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't like that this has now totally replaced the old search.

I reckon 90% of what I searched for were thread titles only, this no longer seems to be possible (unless I'm blind).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

The new search engine is rubbish, PLEASE bring back the older one, why the hell would you try to fix something that's not broken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

The new one is rubbish, as you can see in the test launch thread many people are unhappy with it. So let's recap:

1. It has been test launched

2. Turns out it's a load of shyte

3. Obvious next step is to bring the old search page back.

Why was the search changed anyways? It doesn't make any sense to try and fix what isn't broken, there was absolutely no need for it to be changed, unless you wanted to make a mess of a good website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What a load of cock. I'm all up for adding to the functions of Boards, but not if it means taking away one of the best ones it had already.

Search engine = FAIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Seconded, the new one isn't a patch on the speed or ease of use of the old one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

The old search is still accessible here but itll probably get shut down eventually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement