Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TEST LAUNCH] http://search.boards.ie - now ye're searching

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ross wrote: »
    Threads merged.

Mod features - you should read the OP of the equivalent thread about search in the mod forum.

Man there is some bile in one or two of these replies, but a couple of genuine grievances that are eminently solvable.

Would you believe I forgot about vanity searches? We tested this thing pretty extensively in the office, then out amongst the moderators, worked out a bunch of kinks, but nobody ever mentioned being able to search for people quoting them as a killer feature.

Hands up, my bad.

There are also a few bugs, but frankly, if we waited to cover every possible use case, A) we'd never launch, and B) we'd never find out the real problems.

I'll address this more in depth tomorrow, but please guys, the old search is still available by going directly to the URL for now. Less of the hate and a bit more information from you would be beneficial.

To those of you that have been eloquent (if frustrated) from the start, many thanks.

In fairness, you're not gonna get a lotta love if you call searching for quoted posts "vanity searches". People use that search function to find posts which other people quoted them in mainly so they can respond to them.

So, if you are posting a thread with a lot of posts in it - say a hot debate topic - you don't have to trawl through every post to see if someone was trying to engage with you in the debate.

Sure, there may be some vanity to it too, but like I said, that's not gonna get you a lotta love.

And if you just wanted love, then why have a thread looking for feedback on the issue? I'd say that's pretty much a Golden Rule for starting any thread on Boards.

And if it's a test launch, you can expect all types of reactions. But I think haters is a bit of strong word for people who aren't as eloquent as you'd like them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

In fairness, you're not gonna get a lotta love if you call searching for quoted posts "vanity searches". People use that search function to find posts which other people quoted them in mainly so they can respond to them.

So, if you are posting a thread with a lot of posts in it - say a hot debate topic - you don't have to trawl through every post to see if someone was trying to engage with you in the debate.

Sure, there may be some vanity to it too, but like I said, that's not gonna get you a lotta love.

And if you just wanted love, then why have a thread looking for feedback on the issue? I'd say that's pretty much a Golden Rule for starting any thread on Boards.

And if it's a test launch, you can expect all types of reactions. But I think haters is a bit of strong word for people who aren't as eloquent as you'd like them to be.

That's what your User CP is for.

Subscribe to threads, pick no email notifications and go to your User CP.

Any unreplied threads are there in dark font.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    That's what your User CP is for.

Subscribe to threads, pick no email notifications and go to your User CP.

Any unreplied threads are there in dark font.

But I'm not looking for unreplied threads. :confused:

But I'm not looking for unreplied threads. :confused:

It subscribes you to threads you've posted in?????

Why otherwise would you be looking?????

Unless people are mentioning you in threads you aren't participating in??????

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

K-9 wrote: »
    It subscribes you to threads you've posted in?????

Why otherwise would you be looking?????

Unless people are mentioning you in threads you aren't participating in??????

He (and other posters) wants to find out when someone has quoted him without trawling through the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Would it be possible to subscribe to an RSS feed for a search similar to the feed you can subscribe to in Google Blog search?

jd007 wrote: »
    He (and other posters) wants to find out when someone has quoted him without trawling through the thread.

Yes, if you use the go to last post button, it'll bring you to where you were at last on the thread.

Still, I can see what you are saying, it should really be in the new search..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In fairness, you're not gonna get a lotta love if you call searching for quoted posts "vanity searches".
    If you're going to start getting offended by industry terms , then you might want to switch off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

seamus wrote: »
    If you're going to start getting offended by industry terms , then you might want to switch off :)

But I don't think anybody is doing it to boost their ego. It's just an easy way to see if you've been quoted so that you can reply back. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Begs the question, why are people posting in threads if they've no interest in following the discussion afterwards (unless they get quoted)?

That's not discussion, it's hit-and-run soapboxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I just used the new search for the first time.
    It's almost useless.
    The old one worked perfectly for me, it had enough advanced features and I generally found exactly what I wanted using the thread search.

With the new search I can't find anything useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Interesting statistics. "800 years" has been mentioned 1527 times,

http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=%22800+years%22

........and was first mentioned in a Quake post on 24th January 1999.:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74756&postcount=7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I believe as i understand it, that a vanity search is looking for where people mention you, as opposed to quoting of you..

I use the "vanity search" so i can keep track of when people quote me so i can reply, without having to subscribe to threads and read them to see if someone quoted me in a response - nothing to do with vanity -simply so i can reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Steve wrote: »
    Begs the question, why are people posting in threads if they've no interest in following the discussion afterwards (unless they get quoted)?

I know what you're saying Steve, but when a thread gets REALLY long, things shift from reading every post territory to engaging in debates/arguments/whatever with certain posters. It's more of a logistical thing - for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Also I find that when a thread gets too long (sometimes after only a couple of replies) The thread goes off at a tangent and loses all comparison with the OP.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rubecula wrote: »
    Also I find that when a thread gets too long (sometimes after only a couple of replies) The thread goes off at a tangent and loses all comparison with the OP.

Yep. This thread was originally about the search engine :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yep. This thread was originally about the search engine :pac:
    My fault for changing tack there - I was just trying to understand the need to use this particular type of search as it seems to be the most contested here.

Dudess, that makes sense and it's probably one of the main reasons I tend not to dive into (potentially) long threads. I was trying to quantify it in a non AH type scenario. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK, update based on some of the feedback we've had...

Ross is working on "match title only", "search threads started by user" and "search posts quoting a user" as a matter of priority for the new Search. We've also now included the link to the old search on the bottom of the new Advanced Search page if you're still stuck as to where it's located.

More updates as we have them.

I wasn't offended in the slightest. I'm as vain as they come - but I don't see the search feature for quoted posts as a "vanity search". Let's call a spade a spade.

The real "vanity search" would be the "Find all thanked posts by starbelgrade" button, which I use several times on daily basis, because as well as being vain, I am also a major thanks whore. In fact, in terms of Boards thanks, I think I am the biggest whore on the entire site.

I've also noticed that with the new search feature, you can list your own posts by the most to least thanked, so if anything the "vanity search" part of the search function has increased ten fold, which is nice for us egosurfers.

;)

Dav wrote: »

Ross is working on "match title only", "search threads started by user" and "search posts quoting a user" as a matter of priority for the new Search. We've also now included the link to the old search on the bottom of the new Advanced Search page if you're still stuck as to where it's located.

We'll call that a result.

Plebs 1 - Development Team 0.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Ross is working on "match title only"

Thanks, will match title only be working with the user search so if you click match title only, enter a user in posted by user and click newest first then it will return all threads you posted in sorted by the order they were last posted in by any user or will that ever be available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

The old search is better, with the exception of the search box using an OR instead of an AND.

Is it possible to keep a link to the old search option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

**** off.

(Test post to wait for response to see if poster is a soapboxer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Can we have the old search back as the default until the new one is finished 100% then?

You don't sell someone half a car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I like the new search. One issue, it isn't displaying posts people made in the Thunderdome. I realise that doesn't matter to most people, but I post there, and the ability to be able to search through other peoples posts so you can ridicule them mercilessly about a post they made a year ago is quite an important tool to have in the arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tahuti

I feel at peace with the new search function.

I can no longer search to find out who's dissing me, or who holds an opinion contrary to mine.

Conflict has been lessened, and I can just merrily breeze my way from thread to thread.

Ignorance is truly bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

The new search function is truly awful... sorry. I dislike things that appear "large" like that, unnecessarily Web2.0, the old default search was functional and worked well, you could see all your options clearly. It doesn't aesthetically match the rest of the forum. The results are by far the worst part, I liked when it was newest first by default, and the advert and general layout make it look like one of those "Placeholder" portal sites when you go to a site that's been taken down, etc.

It would have been better to use the form for the old one, but tweak the algorithm. I don't see the need for the new layout. Forms are just forms and can feed into anything.

And that shade of green does not go with those shades of blue.

Having "by thanks" as an option too, urgh. Then again I've never liked any kind of thanks system, it just sticks it to people who are in the minority in discussions most of the time, or just adds redundant clutter to the bottom of posts in proper two sided discussions. People should be able to judge posts on their merits without needing a little popularity contest, "Most thanked" has very little to do with relevancy in searching, unless you're writing an essay on herd mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

liah wrote: »
    Am I the only one who hated the old one? It was such a pain to search a specific forum, had to scroll for aaaaaaaaaaages and miss it about 10 times til you could select it.

I like this one a hell of a lot better than the old ugly one.

But you could just go "search in this forum". Now, you can't do that, as "search in this forum" brings up the new search.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The reason i use it steve is because i might log onto the internet for literally a min or two during the day at work

I quickly check my email to see if there are any emails in and then go quickly log onto boards and do a "vanity search" to see if i was quoted, then if its something i think i can reply to quickly i will then log off.. i can do the same "vanity search" a few hours later to see if that person replied.

Im on boards near 5 years, its just my routine, i am a creature of habit..

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »
    **** off.

(Test post to wait for response to see if poster is a soapboxer)
    How thoughtful, bless you. :)
    snyper wrote: »
    The reason i use it steve is because i might log onto the internet for literally a min or two during the day at work

I quickly check my email to see if there are any emails in and then go quickly log onto boards and do a "vanity search" to see if i was quoted, then if its something i think i can reply to quickly i will then log off.. i can do the same "vanity search" a few hours later to see if that person replied.

Im on boards near 5 years, its just my routine, i am a creature of habit..
    That's good info snyper and hopefully useful for Ross. I wasn't having a pop at anyone there, just trying to understand what the 'need' was if you get me.

If that feature can be accommodated in the new search in a way that it doesn't make the servers groan then maybe it will satisfy a lot of the people in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement