Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TEST LAUNCH] http://search.boards.ie - now ye're searching

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

ok... obviously no time to read all 17 pages, so will just give my own opinion:

1) i hope the new search will allow for short strings (2-3-4 letters) and wildcard, with instructions readily displayed on how to use the different search operators (""/+/-/AND/OR/*), etc
    2) layout = not good. different from the rest of the site. not good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

In the old search when you clicked on the user's name above the post it brought you to their profile. Now the name is below the post and when you click on it it brings you to the same page that you are already on. It's a bit annoying.

Also I just looked at a spammer's posts because I was going to report all 4 of them but only 2 of them came up in a search so I got annoyed and didn't bother reporting them. :o They hadn't been deleted either so that wasn't the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Just used the new Search facility for the first time. Great, it worked perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've just tried to find athread about waterfords bin colection service, I had a post on the thread so used my name plus terms like Bin collection waterford/bin service waterford/bin charges waterford. Nothing! Bloody hopeless.

I typed mike65 bin collection into google and it found the thread I was looking for.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thread title only and threads started by are now in - nice!

On the other hand, I just spend 10 minutes trying to find a post I made in Broadband a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find it at all. I can't remember the exact content of the post but it found none of the words I know were in it. This used to take 5 seconds with the old search. So that really sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Thread title only and threads started by are now in - nice!

On the other hand, I just spend 10 minutes trying to find a post I made in Broadband a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find it at all. I can't remember the exact content of the post but it found none of the words I know were in it. This used to take 5 seconds with the old search. So that really sucks.

Thats a big improvement, currently when I click newest first it's bring them back in the order I posted, would it be possible to put in another option that sorts the results in the order of when the threads returned last received any post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mike65 wrote: »

I typed mike65 bin collection into google and it found the thread I was looking for.

I've been using google to find boards.ie threads now too - for me the new search engine has been next to useless.

Its really infuriating me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Neither of these will bring up the liverpool superthread on the first page of results (even when I limit results to sports) :confused:

1. search for liverpool, thread titles only selected, return best matches
    2. search for liverpool, thread titles only not selected, return best matches

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Seen as there's already been mention of vanity searches.. would it be possible to have an option to sort posts by 'last thanked'?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone else getting 503s on Advanced Search?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Anyone else getting 503s on Advanced Search?

I was getting them the other day. I've given up on the search function until it's fixed & the "find quoted posts" function is re-instated.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭knick_knack

the advanced search worked no problem for me, found it brilliant with the layout and everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its not working for me now. Hasnt registered any of my posts for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If I go and search for my posts in a certain forum, it will not work, it will give me all the posts I have made everywhere.

What am I missing?

Sorry if this has been asked already..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭KurtRussel

Yeah this search engine is kind of crap. I can't find a thread I started earlier. It's in the Travel forum, but not in search results. Why don't my posts appear in most recent posts????

I don't think I can search for any threads I made by the way... I can't search for my name which I do to see who has quoted me. And the "search for threads made by me/jimmy/whoever" button is missing... that was a very handy button. This new "search"is a feckin' mess of a thing actually, the new system is shite! Like it's understandable releasing a beta for testing but why release a non-functioning system. Ah well.

ALSO is there any link i can click on the search page that will bring me back to the boards home page?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Tried to do an "advance search" of my posts, it returned 20,855,663 results, the newest was 1 year and 12 months ago.

Nothing for me or the word I was looking for :mad: not good.

The old vBulletin search returned the results I was looking for.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I think something as changed as I had good results initially but recently the searches are not returning correct results at all. Especially when searching by poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Much, much, much preferred the old way tbh.

The layout is horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm closing this thread now and I've kicked off a new one to carry on the feedback based on the changes we've made with your help.

Thank you folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement