Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been to Trabolgan?

Options
  • 08-03-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We're thinking of heading to Trabolgan for a few days with friends.
    There would be 4 adults and 2 kids (under 3) in total.
    Just wondering if any boardsies have been there and what you thought?
    I suppose I have always been ignorant about it and thought of it as a bit of "hi-de-hi" camp!
    But our friends have suggested it so I had a look at the website and it looks nice!
    All comments welcome please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I went before. Myself, my wife, son and his cousin at the time. Had a very nice time. It's not luxury central or whatever, but there's plenty to keep the kids entertained. I found the price prohibitively expensive during the school holidays though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tishiewishie

Hi,
    Trabolgan is lovely. Went there last year brought my nieces they loved it, there's lots for kids to do.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I have never been because any time I have looked it up in the past it has been way too expensive. Would love to give it a go if the price was right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

it is expensive but worth it for a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

We went there quite a few times when I was younger. Accommodation is expensive, but so many of the activities are included in the cost, or very cheap. We loved it, really good family holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

OP here. Thanks everyone for the replies. We were thinking of a few days in May which seems to be just €209 for a house for 3 of us, which is good. I believe it gets much more pricey in the summer months.
    I think the kids would love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

On the expense front: I found it approximately the same cost as going to the canaries during school holidays. It seems madly expensive at certain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

We went there 2 summers ago! Myself, my husband and our 2 kids! I thought it was very expensive and not worth it at all! We didnt have a great time, even the kids got bored with the repetitiveness(sp) of it all. I would not reccommend it, but then again others have had a great time there and go back alot. It just wasnt for us!
    As the above poster said, for the same price you could get away somewhere foreign and I would much prefer that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It is not the place it was, some of the houses are extremely basic and also could do with a good clean. It's ok for a day trip,but that's as far as I'd go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

We go there every year and i cant recommend the place enough,its fantastic for the kids and so much to do for all ages!!Actually going back this summer but with the hubbies work,only time we can go is july which is the most expensive time,but so worth it i dont care!!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone again. Mixed reviews which makes me a little unsure about going but I'll have a think about it.
    Happy holidays people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

Op,as someone said,for the same price you can go abroad,but on the other hand you are getting full access to the golf course,swimming pool,all the kids activities,2 play areas with ball pools ect,playground,the kiddies discos every evening,the barney concert and loads more,and for small cost you have got go carting,zip wireing,mini golf,paddle boats,and more of the like.
    I cant see how anyone would be bored.
    When you enter the site,you are given a couple of voucher books which have great deals like free kids breakfast with every adults breakfast and half price mini golf and so on.
    All the houses are close to the center of the site,where all the activities take place,there is karaoke for both kids and adults,magician shows and the likes all included in your price,so theres something always going on.
    So for the may prices it really is worth going,imo.
    Sorry for the detailed reply but i just wanted to get the point accross that yes it would cost next to the same to go abroad,but when you add up the cost of entertaining kids aswell its a bargain!!I think everyone should experience it just once,as i have had many happy memories of the place!
    Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's an expensive kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

If you are restricted to staying in Ireland then it will do but honestly for the same price you can some somewhere where the weather will be a lot better and the daily expenses a lot cheaper.

mumto3 wrote: »
    Op,as someone said,for the same price you can go abroad,but on the other hand you are getting full access to the golf course,swimming pool,all the kids activities,2 play areas with ball pools ect,playground,the kiddies discos every evening,the barney concert and loads more,and for small cost you have got go carting,zip wireing,mini golf,paddle boats,and more of the like.
    I cant see how anyone would be bored.
    When you enter the site,you are given a couple of voucher books which have great deals like free kids breakfast with every adults breakfast and half price mini golf and so on.
    All the houses are close to the center of the site,where all the activities take place,there is karaoke for both kids and adults,magician shows and the likes all included in your price,so theres something always going on.
    So for the may prices it really is worth going,imo.
    Sorry for the detailed reply but i just wanted to get the point accross that yes it would cost next to the same to go abroad,but when you add up the cost of entertaining kids aswell its a bargain!!I think everyone should experience it just once,as i have had many happy memories of the place!
    Hope this helps :)

Whatever happens Mumto3, I'm going to tell them you should be on commission!! Ha ha! :D
    Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Went there on a day out when my son was 3 and there was nothing for my 3yr old to do there. You had to be 6 to go on activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 niamh2012

hi i was wondering if somebody could tell me if trabolgan r very strict on the number of people per house,im hoping to book the 6/7 forest house,i have 3 bed sleepin kids and 4 adults. but i have 2 infants who sleep in cots so i dont need a bigger house, i was just wondering will they make pay for a bigger house or would i get away with paying for the 6/7 house thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

niamh2012 wrote: »
    hi i was wondering if somebody could tell me if trabolgan r very strict on the number of people per house,im hoping to book the 6/7 forest house,i have 3 bed sleepin kids and 4 adults. but i have 2 infants who sleep in cots so i dont need a bigger house, i was just wondering will they make pay for a bigger house or would i get away with paying for the 6/7 house thanks

They're strict when your booking , we went last year and stayed in the Forest Oak. My sisters house had 4 adults , 2 kids and 2 infants. They told her she was over the amount allowed for the house so we had to put one of the infants as staying in our house as we had one person less. When we got there she took the cot from our house and put it into hers. There was plenty of room , she still had a double bed and 4 singles meaning one bed was empty.

If you can bring one travel cot with you and just book one infant in you wont have a problem as they never checked how many of us there were , they ask for one person in the party to check in and collect the keys and wristbands as its too busy for everyone to be there. And the only time anyone came to the house was a couple of hours after checking in a housekeeper knocked and asked was everything ok , did we have any problems.

And they don't give wristbands to infants so you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

FYI,

the last weekend of the season is the most interesting. :D

No children allowed. No lie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mumsy79

Trobolgan is amazing!! I was there once when I was younger but Im not sure what the standard is like now. I haven't brought my little one there yet but intend to eventually!! There used to be a pool that had waves and a really good play area with monkey bars etc!! From what I remember of it years ago anyway I would say go for it, but don't hold me that if the standard isn't up to much!! Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement