Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cracks in walls/homebond

Options
  • 08-03-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I moved into my new house just over 2 years ago. Shortly after moving in cracks appeared in the walls both inside and outside, the wall between me and the neighbours the crack is quite a large crack that you could nearly push something through it.

Inside the house there is cracks in every room, now at first I was told that this was settlement cracks but some of them appear larger now especially in the kitchen and one of the en-suites.

The builder I purchased the house from is my friend’s brother and I understand when contacting Homebond you must also write to the builder and I don’t want to fall out with anyone over this issue but at the same time I paid a lot of money for my home.

The problem I have is do I contact Homebond and what exactly will they do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Homebond are not great at helping. Seemingly the only cover a certain amount per builder.

I have an apartment with Pyrite and am having the same issues, big court case.

I don't mean to worry you but try to get things done as quickly as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Oh no, I did e-mail them and heard nothing back as I couldn't be holding on the phone for ages and then I wrote to them. They wrote back telling me I had to send a letter to both them and the builder. I haven't done this yet, I know some of my neighbours have had cracks appear in their walls as well but not sure if they have done anything about it. Might ask one of them this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Do ask around the neighbours.

I wouldn't worry in the slightest about falling out with the builder over this, even if he is your friend's brother. A house is probably the biggest purchase in your life, it HAS to be put right. Do up your letters, be honest and professional about it, don't leave anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

shoes34 wrote: »
    I moved into my new house just over 2 years ago. Shortly after moving in cracks appeared in the walls both inside and outside, the wall between me and the neighbours the crack is quite a large crack that you could nearly push something through it.

Inside the house there is cracks in every room, now at first I was told that this was settlement cracks but some of them appear larger now especially in the kitchen and one of the en-suites.

The builder I purchased the house from is my friend’s brother and I understand when contacting Homebond you must also write to the builder and I don’t want to fall out with anyone over this issue but at the same time I paid a lot of money for my home.

The problem I have is do I contact Homebond and what exactly will they do?

Don't mean to put a downer on things, but having seen an exposee on homebond recently you want to get in early and get it fixed asap. Homebond only covers less than a million per estate, so whiles it grand for dealing with isolated issues, its about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike if your estate has a systemic issue, such as pyrite, and consists of more than a handful of houses.

Advertisement