Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New House What TV Stytem

• 08-03-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi All, I have a new house and there is cat 5 to all rooms along with TV aerial cables. I would ideally like to have TV in each room. Any advice on the setup I should use.

FTA would be ideal if I had RTE and TV3.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

newholland wrote: »
    Hi All, I have a new house and there is cat 5 to all rooms along with TV aerial cables. I would ideally like to have TV in each room. Any advice on the setup I should use.

FTA would be ideal if I had RTE and TV3.

Thanks for your help
    Hi, first of all, whereabouts approximately in the country are you? We will need to know whether you are in an area where Saorview is receiveable for free to air Irish DTT. You may also be in range of Freeview from the UK or Northern Ireland via tv aerial. Have you installed or thought of installing a large satellite dish to pick up UK television free to air via Astra 28.2 East? A dish of about 90cm upwards is much more reliable in heavy rain with everything tightened well and correct alignment and the proper lnb skew angle. I would suggest a quad lnb. A quattro lnb will require multiswitches. Freesat HD branded sat receivers with disecq and a full 7 days EPG are the ones to go for. A Humax Foxsat HD receiver is probably the best with a 500GB OR 1TB hard drive included inside for recording purposes. Since cables are already installed, a variable gain low noise amplified distribution box would be ideal or a combiner/diplexer depending on your requirements etc. You could also stream television from a HTPC to other rooms since you have cat5 cable already installed. Multiple settop boxes however or suitable IDTVs will be needed in order to receive free digital tv so expensive unless you want to stick with analogue reception for another year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

I have the same issue, just moved. I had a SKY HD + Multiroom set up and I still have the boxes. I actually have a standard box, a SKY+ box and a SKY+ HD box.

I have the new place wired for SKY but I am now wondering about freeview since my mortgage has gone through the roof. At the moment I dont have any dish.

Whats the cheapest option ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

MercMad wrote: »
    I have the same issue, just moved. I had a SKY HD + Multiroom set up and I still have the boxes. I actually have a standard box, a SKY+ box and a SKY+ HD box.

I have the new place wired for SKY but I am now wondering about freeview since my mortgage has gone through the roof. At the moment I dont have any dish.

Whats the cheapest option ?

Cheapest option for you is probably get a dish, quad lnb and some satellite cable and use the sky boxes as a free to air box. You will able to pick up all ther free UK satellite channels. If you want to get the irish domestic channels then you are going to have to get a saorview box or a digital tv receiver (Mpeg4 and HD)that can pick up the saorview audio and video. You will need some form of UHF aerial for that aswell, if you don't have one. If you want to just chuck the sky boxes altogether you could get one of the many digital satellite combo receivers on the market that let you get the Free Irish & UK channels on them. If you want TV in several rooms use the old sky boxes for that purpose?

Just suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Thanks for that !

I have all the rooms wired out to the aerial location, so if I get a dish with a quad LNB I should at least have some tv for the moment??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

MercMad wrote: »
    Thanks for that !

I have all the rooms wired out to the aerial location, so if I get a dish with a quad LNB I should at least have some tv for the moment??

Should do alright but for the cheapest option, that's your best bet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement