Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

WHAT
    *opens pripyat again*

ill eat later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

oh motherf***er I accidentally cancelled the download just before it was finished, have to start all over again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

its broken for me anyway. gonna wait till its upped on the official page

in call of pripyat... how the **** do I get to southern plateau?
    i met noah, and he took me there .. somehow. but now he wont take me back and i've no idea how to go back, there's a giant cliff blocking me for miles

in call of pripyat... how the **** do I get to southern plateau?
    i met noah, and he took me there .. somehow. but now he wont take me back and i've no idea how to go back, there's a giant cliff blocking me for miles

There should be a marker on your PDA showing how to get back to the plateau, using the same route
    Noah
    showed you.

• Advertisement

there's not, but I googled and found out a rough area of where I should be looking. found it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is that not nice? People rediscovering classics.

I am tempted to install Pripyat and original too now.... Damm you all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Also, the CoP Complete mod is out

http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2010/04/mod-call-of-pripyat-complete.html

might give it a try as i played CoP for 2 hours and really felt it was kinda "Meh" compared to SoC.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hmm watch interest in nuclear things build in the next few days. I was disappointed I can't stream The China Syndrome on netflix.

pripyat spoiler maybe
    can you pick up an artifact belt seperate from the suit? it's kinda weird only beinb able to equip 2 artifacts, if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

pripyat spoiler maybe
    can you pick up an artifact belt seperate from the suit? it's kinda weird only beinb able to equip 2 artifacts, if at all.
    I don't remember a belt but you can definitely upgrade certain outfits to carry more artifact containers. The SEVA suit especially could carry loads of artifacts when properly upgraded

hehe, yeah as soon as I posted that I remembred I hadn't upgraded my suit fully after giving cardan the calibration tools. 4 spots now.

spent all my money on upgrading this **** though, i miss my second generation night vision

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Pfft nightvision is for pussies. I say go without it. When you only use the light the atmosphere in those underground labs is amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Playing this right now.

In the lab searching for documents... or whatever.

One thing I just noticed that impressed me. I came upon a doorway i knew an enemy was hiding behind. Between the crack in the door where it met the frame there was a tiny gap where i could see him. Most games would show you the environment thru it but there would be an invisible wall preventing shots. Not so for STALKER!

It's the little things :)

Ug0mA.jpg

well, that's pripyat finished

nowhere near as good as chernobyl was, not even remotely close but still enjoyable. Ending was pretty crappy though.

well, that's pripyat finished

nowhere near as good as chernobyl was, not even remotely close but still enjoyable. Ending was pretty crappy though.

That's unfortunate.

When I completed it, I felt that although it wasn't quite as satisfying as Chernobyl, it was just as fun.

You're spot-on with the pants endings though.

well the gameplay was great, the firefights were fun and I loved the upgradeable weapons my main gripe with it was the lack of atmosphere compared to chernobyl.

the maps were kinda... plain compared to chernobyl. I didn't get the same sense of apprehension or tension I got wandering through the areas at night.
    *shrug*

i'll still replay it probably with a few different mods. I kinda wanna give clear sky a shot now, but I cant afford it atm and I dont want to pirate it :) want to see if it deserves the scorn i've read heaped upon it online

well the gameplay was great, the firefights were fun and I loved the upgradeable weapons my main gripe with it was the lack of atmosphere compared to chernobyl.

the maps were kinda... plain compared to chernobyl. I didn't get the same sense of apprehension or tension I got wandering through the areas at night.
    *shrug*

i'll still replay it probably with a few different mods. I kinda wanna give clear sky a shot now, but I cant afford it atm and I dont want to pirate it :) want to see if it deserves the scorn i've read heaped upon it online

I agree with all of your points you made, although luckily for me they didn't spoil the game :)

I want to play CS as well, I've heard it's like SoC without any atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭briany

It really is up there with the greatest shooters of modern times. It easily holds it's own against Half Life 2, Crysis and Far Cry. This has a lot to do with the fact that it's just so different to other shooters and really straddles the genres between shooter and survival horror. Things that make it unique and brilliant shooter include :

Scavenging for ammo, artifacts, guns, food and medical supplies in the dead of night.

A quest system (of sorts)

Night time is actually daunting.

A living breathing game world that doesn't wait around for your presence in an area for action to happen. You can easily stumble upon the remains of a firefight or mutant attack etc.

The music fits the atmosphere so well. There's little of it but when it's there it has a brooding melancholia about it that just perfectly reflects the dank game world.

Firefights are brutal and you cannot just spray and pray. Recoil won't allow it. It often comes down to finding cover and picking off your adversaries with short well timed bursts. Hopefully getting them in the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Clear Sky isn't as bad as people are making it sound. It has less of the underground cramped corridor creepiness and the story isn't as fantastic as SoC, but it's still a fine game worth playing if you liked the first.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Chernobyl: Needs Quicksave @_@

All 3 games have quicksave. F5 to save and F9 to load it, IIRC.

chernobyl is f6 and f7, at least it was in complete mod

wow you both jumped on that post quickly, it probably was up for all of 45 seconds

So im into the 2nd "level" at the start of it. At this point I feel i need to ask: what the hell is going on? Who am I? Why I am I there? Where am I going? So far I've pretty much just bumped around killing dogs and boars and running down a tunnel that tried to electrocute me because apparently I'm either supposed to do that or take on half a dozen armed-to-teeth badasses and I have no idea whats going on. I want ammo for this Uzi! :|

Overheal wrote: »
    wow you both jumped on that post quickly, it probably was up for all of 45 seconds

So im into the 2nd "level" at the start of it. At this point I feel i need to ask: what the hell is going on? Who am I? Why I am I there? Where am I going? So far I've pretty much just bumped around killing dogs and boars and running down a tunnel that tried to electrocute me because apparently I'm either supposed to do that or take on half a dozen armed-to-teeth badasses and I have no idea whats going on. I want ammo for this Uzi! :|

get used to that feeling. and check your pda :)

if I put items in a stash somewhere will it be there later? Do I need to stash items somewhere specific? and is there a good site for a noob guide? :P

The creepy mutant cat calls are starting to get to me

afaik anything labelled stash in one of those rectangular blue boxes will store your items permanently. the one in rad 100 bar does anyway and I never noticed anything being stolen from any of the others.

http://stalker.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    there's the stalker wiki, but it might be risky enough to read if you're worried about being spoiled

best thing to do is just plough on and know it will all come together eventually. with me, I was wandering down the map on my way back to cordon after being all over the place and I suddenly "got" alot of the stuff that hadf been kinda confusing me up until then.

i lost count of how many people ive killed now. the game stats say thousands but that cant be right. this came to mind

fps_mod.png

yeah i wondered the same, you must be awarded points for killing people
    kinda grim

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Started this again a week ago and have started to get into it properly. I did play when it first came out but for some reason I just wasn't really interested.

Finished Fallout: New Vegas a while ago and to me the gameplay in that should have been like Stalker. The movement in Stalker seems to be more fluid and the gunfights are pretty realistic. So far Stalker just seems to be such a better game and much more atmospheric. Installed the Complete 2009 (?) mod which updated textures, weather etc and it is such a beautiful looking game, well as beautiful as an irradiated zone can be.

Seems kinda easy though, so far I'm just in the area north of the barkeep and I've already accumulated 300k through scavenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

People saying CoP has no atmosphere? Are you quite mental?

Advertisement