Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Reading some of the comments here I really have to start playing SoC and finish it so I can play CoP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I got the game when it first came out, couldnt get into it at all...so gave it away.

Then everyone started raving about it, and I thought, well maybe I didn't give it enough time.

So in the steam Xmas or January sale, whatever it was, I bought both games, downloaded and isntalled SoC. And once again hated it.

The first mission, you get sent accross to attack some place, and are told you can use stealth,....but it doesn't work in the slightest. Then when you are spotted, and in a firefight, a bullet to the head doesn't kill them, in fact it takes near a whole round, most of the little ammo I have to kill 1 person.

So, had enough and haven't touched it again, my STEAM account lists me as having 0.1hrs on record. Not even isntalled the sequel and don't intend to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're missing out because it gets so much better later on. Also the reason head shots aren't working is probably because you are using such crappy weapons with terrible accuracy. At that stage all you have is a pistol.

I tried, I really did try to like it. I "wanted" to like it. Just didn't happen for me, my first playthrough I actually got a lot further, had decent AK-47s etc,

Also wanted to get into Metro, which was a similar tone..which i also bought, but it didn't want to work on STEAM, started giving me some stupid message, so never got the chance with that.

And got errros with Dragon Age recently too now that I think of it and couldn't play that either, someone wants me just to stick to L4D2 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, i remember playing this a couple of years ago, and it kept crashing on me, and then deleted a save file, so i put it away, and was a pc gaming n00b at the time so didn't realise that there may have been a mod.

After reading this, i want to play it again, as i can remember enjoying what bit i played. So, where does one get this Complete mod? And will the original game do or would i be better getting a more recent copy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I got the game when it first came out, couldnt get into it at all...so gave it away.

Then everyone started raving about it, and I thought, well maybe I didn't give it enough time.

So in the steam Xmas or January sale, whatever it was, I bought both games, downloaded and isntalled SoC. And once again hated it.

The first mission, you get sent accross to attack some place, and are told you can use stealth,....but it doesn't work in the slightest. Then when you are spotted, and in a firefight, a bullet to the head doesn't kill them, in fact it takes near a whole round, most of the little ammo I have to kill 1 person.

So, had enough and haven't touched it again, my STEAM account lists me as having 0.1hrs on record. Not even isntalled the sequel and don't intend to.

Cause scoring headshots with a ****ty old makarov pistol on a moving target is so easy in real life :rolleyes:
    Youre not gonna get instant gratifaction and +100 POINTS HEADSHOT! notifications every 2 seconds in stalker. Its not like that. It takes pereverance. To play it for less than an hour and write it off is moronic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Gift it to someone who likes good challenging games :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i was the same way with stalker when I first tried it, but then I went back half a year to a year later and just decided to stick with it and I am so glad I did. one of my favourite games now.

--edit

also for the love of god, when you get errors installing a game.. google the damn thing for a solution, or check the steam forums. You are very unlikely to be the first person to get a particular error.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

People saying CoP has no atmosphere? Are you quite mental?

Oh god I loved playing stalker at night rain and lightning. It was soooooooo scary!

These bids are just forcing me to reinstall stalker!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PotatoSTALKER

I have STALKER SoC and Clear Sky, best gift I ever recieved on Steam.
    Oh and Call of Pripyat too, although I still have to buy a copy of that (:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

@ShadowHearth

Yea, the rain and lightning at night is awesome. Plus it's easier to hide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

PandyAndy wrote: »
    @ShadowHearth

Yea, the rain and lightning at night is awesome. Plus it's easier to hide :D

Easier to hide for who lol? You or blood suckers?! :))))

Best ever night/weather atmosphere in any game. End of story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Even the day is creepy with the crows, used creep my Missis out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're missing out because it gets so much better later on. Also the reason head shots aren't working is probably because you are using such crappy weapons with terrible accuracy. At that stage all you have is a pistol.
    Cause scoring headshots with a ****ty old makarov pistol on a moving target is so easy in real life :rolleyes:
    Youre not gonna get instant gratifaction and +100 POINTS HEADSHOT! notifications every 2 seconds in stalker. Its not like that. It takes pereverance. To play it for less than an hour and write it off is moronic

There is actually a fairly annoying hit probability limit in the code of the game.

Basically, you can score a definite hit and it won't count, the limit is '10' by default, basically you will hit from 10 metres if you aim correctly, at 11 probability comes into it, and you get situations where you dump a magazine into a guy for him to not even flinch.

I got rid of the probability factor by setting the distance it kicks in at to '2000', effectively ridding the game of it.

Enemies hit you more, you hit them more, but based on actual accuracy now rather than probability, it is well documented online for anyone who wants to look up how to change it.

It takes pereverance. To play it for less than an hour and write it off is moronic

That was the 2nd playthrough, as I had already played it before for a good few hours, to the stage where i was helping some village/band of people who were being attacked

That was the 2nd playthrough, as I had already played it before for a good few hours, to the stage where i was helping some village/band of people who were being attacked

In Garbage? thats not even getting to the good weapons. The game is hours and hours long, thats the beginning and the weapons then are crap

I couldn't tell you where/when. From memory it was some town north of the starting point, and you have to go through some big gate...and there's an old bus and stuff blocking the path I think.

I couldn't tell you where/when. From memory it was some town north of the starting point, and you have to go through some big gate...and there's an old bus and stuff blocking the path I think.

Yes, thats Garbage, You gotta fight off the Bandits, who turn out to be pretty easy to defeat when you get better weapons. Now the Spetznaz, thats another story :D
    If you still got the saves give it another lash, you're not really into it yet, gets better, weapons get better, enemies get tougher. It only gets going from there, You've not met the factions

aye, that's very early into the game
    I was just getting the hang of it when I first went there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yes, I agree.

In the games I've played, it has the best night time atmosphere. There may be some who come on and go "Oh no no no. __________ had the best night atmosphere" ,but, for me, Stalker is the only game that I have played for which going out into the inky pitch black that really gave me some serious feelings of dread.

One of my favorite moments in the trilogy had to be in Clear Sky at Yantar. I was repelling a wave of zombified soldiers from the scientists' base and I was facing off against two final adversaries but the problem was that I was out of ammo so it came down to me stabbing these final two zombies to death in the pouring rain and lightning. Now that's a great moment right there :)

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes, thats Garbage, You gotta fight off the Bandits, who turn out to be pretty easy to defeat when you get better weapons. Now the Spetznaz, thats another story :D
    If you still got the saves give it another lash, you're not really into it yet, gets better, weapons get better, enemies get tougher. It only gets going from there, You've not met the factions

I will down the line when I get time, unfortunately I've built up a backlog of games that I still have to get through. Got Portal 2, Shogun 2, Crysis2 and Both dragon ages last week...but not played any of them yet as I find it hard to get into Single player games when the possibility of playing with friends online is there.

How long roughly do I need to dedicate before I get a feel for the game. Surely 10hours is enough ?

How long roughly do I need to dedicate before I get a feel for the game. Surely 10hours is enough ?

It kind of ups a level not far from there when you meet the duty faction up the road. Give it another short while and you'll see. Gets hectic in some battles after that.

Whats the story when your running somewhere and all of a sudden a beeping noise starts, the screen gets blurry and you lose some energy?

Yakult wrote: »
    Whats the story when your running somewhere and all of a sudden a beeping noise starts, the screen gets blurry and you lose some energy?

They are anomalies, some are mini tornadoes, some a blurry gravitational field.

Anyway to dodge 'em?

Yakult wrote: »
    Anyway to dodge 'em?

You can see them, hear them, and you have a detector that beeps.

you have an infinite supply of bolts (weapon slot six I think) that you can throw in front of you when you start to hear the beeping, they either activate the anomaly or they bounce off it's perimiter. it's handy to either activate some trap anomalies before you try to run through them, or for navigating small areas with five thousand bastard anomolies in a tight group

i think the detecter is the o key..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 g hughes

only new to stalker, but I seem to have technical problems now. not really into computers,but had to reinstall xp as it crashed , shortly after starting stalker shadow of chernobyl. did complete reinstall of xp, game now runs very slowly (had worked fine previously). Has anyone any ideas of how to resolve this issue as it seems to be a very good game. thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Installed Stlaker complete and it makes a huge improvement to the visuals. However the visual effects are too much for my PC and it ran at less than 5 FPS with tonnes of hard disk caching. Think I need a new rig.

• Advertisement

I installed complete too and makes the game alot more appealing. Enjoying the game very much!!

Advertisement