Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

stupidly idiotic move from a dev who is predominately a pc developer and should know better, this will only lead to people pirating the game more, in fact id nearly have money on the fact that this is what they want so the can use the pirate excuse to move ship to the consoles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    The idea of implementing DRM came in as a possible anti-piracy solution. That said, there is no firm decision to go for DRM with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. We do realize how uncomfortable this solution is for the players, so we'll continue looking for most effective, yet acceptable (for everyone) way of protecting the game by the time of its release.

guess the giant mess of angry fan comments on their facebook page and around the web have spurred a bit of a rethink. hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jesus christ, I thought vanilla stalker was unforgiving at the start

my ****ing god.. this stalkersoup mod has been kicking me in the nutsack ever since I started it up, ****ing anomolies *everywhere*

and the bolts that you use to detect them? that were infinite in supply in vanilla? you only have 1!
    and you have to find and pick the ****ing thing up after you throw it away

--edit

ok, i patched to the latest version and my infinite supply of bolts is back
    jesus christ, i guess i wasnt the only person who found that a tad too realistic :)

you are gona need a beast of a machine to run it well.. i've an i7 920, 6 gigs ram, hd5850 and I still get stuttering every now and again. not for long, lasts about 1-3 seconds but still annoying.

--edit

****ing artifacts irradiate you even if you only have them in your inventory!
    i know that makes sense but.. jesus christ

this video explains some of the differences between it and regular chernobyl, it looks pretty cool, but hard. really hard.

that mod looks savage! where do you get it? is it easy install mod?

http://www.tecnobacon.com/

you just download, extract and copy the gamedata folder over

then you can download/install all the newer textures and stuff too from the same site, makes the game look a little better. same deal just download and copy into gamedata I think.

it's a ****ing killer on machines though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭briany

guess the giant mess of angry fan comments on their facebook page and around the web have spurred a bit of a rethink. hopefully anyway.

A good way to ensure maximum buys would be to include a compelling online/multiplayer element. I think that the STALKER franchise is very fertile ground for a well fleshed out multiplayer MMO dimension and also simply trying to embrace the fan community as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

briany wrote: »
    A good way to ensure maximum buys would be to include a compelling online/multiplayer element. I think that the STALKER franchise is very fertile ground for a well fleshed out multiplayer MMO dimension and also simply trying to embrace the fan community as much as possible.

Stalker does not need a multiplayer. End of story.

i dunno, i can't argue with the logic re. sales but I would much rather they focus on providing a quality single player experience rather than having to farm out time to creating and fleshing out a multiplayer. i'd imagine they're busy enough atm anyway making sure it works properly on pc and consoles.. I just hope pc doesn't get a dumbed down version as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Was posted on Kotaku; the unfortunate truth:
    340x.jpg

while that's accurate, it's not at all why people pirate movies/games

people steal movies/games because they don't want to pay for something they can get for free. That is the only reason for 99.99999999% of people. while there might be 1 or 2 people out there somewhere on planet earth who steal because of some anti-drm principle, I doubt that's even the case and they've just convinced themselves they're not cheap bastards.

it is terrible that the industrys solution is to **** with paying customers though, but what else can they do.

stalker does not need mp ffs, every game these days thinks it has to have mp to be relevant and they dont, i really hope sp story driven games make a stronger come back next gen as im sick of cod and its ilk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

while that's accurate, it's not at all why people pirate movies/games

people steal movies/games because they don't want to pay for something they can get for free. That is the only reason for 99.99999999% of people. while there might be 1 or 2 people out there somewhere on planet earth who steal because of some anti-drm principle, I doubt that's even the case and they've just convinced themselves they're not cheap bastards.

it is terrible that the industrys solution is to **** with paying customers though, but what else can they do.

I agree it's not the reason why the majority pirate, the reason of course is as you say it's free if you pirate it. I agree with the overall sentiment of it though, pirates generally get a superior product especially if companies start going with drm like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wasn't saying "Let's replace the story with some run and gun multiplayer maps" I'm merely saying that instead of stepping up the DRM, there must be some way to reward the players who do buy the game. Now it's fair to say that users ought to buy games simply to support the developers who supply the media we enjoy so much but the flipside of that is that gamers who do pay and play by the rules do have to put up with the DRM that pirates pretty much do not have to.

briany wrote: »
    I wasn't saying "Let's replace the story with some run and gun multiplayer maps" I'm merely saying that instead of stepping up the DRM, there must be some way to reward the players who do buy the game. Now it's fair to say that users ought to buy games simply to support the developers who supply the media we enjoy so much but the flipside of that is that gamers who do pay and play by the rules do have to put up with the DRM that pirates pretty much do not have to.

easy just give me the game at a reasonable price, no stupid drm and have the game in a state that im actually able to play it "cough Rage cough", thats all i want if im paying for a game, i dont need no fancy dlc or any stupid mp modes

http://www.tecnobacon.com/

you just download, extract and copy the gamedata folder over

then you can download/install all the newer textures and stuff too from the same site, makes the game look a little better. same deal just download and copy into gamedata I think.

it's a ****ing killer on machines though

if anyone did install this, be sure and check the site again and download patch 8. improved performance for me a lil bit and stability quite alot. Might have to start a new game, im not sure.

Advertisement