Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo

Options
  • 08-03-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of putting in about 4 or 5 screening plants of 4 to 6 foot high. I thougth bamboo would be a nice idea, but nearly fell over when I saw the price of them. I'm finding there are different types out there too. I guess I would like one that was a little bit different and unusual, but of course, the price is a serious consideration. Anyone any advice? :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Price is a braking factor when most people think of puttnig a few of them in the garden.

Shop around and you will find cheaper plants also look at nursery sources who will often sell smaller quantities no problem.

As a screen they are effective but don't like to be lashed with wind all day.

For a screen you will be better of with one of the Fargesias or clump forming varieties. As opposed to the spreading varieties which can run across your lawn once it has established.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

As mentioned above bamboo does not like wind, it also needs lots of water.

Often they are planted with a sprinkler/watering system in the trough they are planted in.

Certain varieties can cause serious damage to walls as there growth is so vigorous, so you need to do your research properly.

They are expensive and aren't the best at surviving the Irish weather.

These guys are supposed to be the cheapest and also the most knowledgeable for bamboos...

http://www.scalpwood.com/

good luck :)

Advertisement