Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading HDD to SSD

Options
  • 08-03-2011 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Anyone upgraded their HDD to an SSD (Solid State Drive)?

Half thinking of upgrading to an SSD on my laptop in the coming months. Just interested to hear experiences of others and if their computer was much faster after the upgrade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It depends on your uses. It will give you faster boot times and access times. It's nice when you can get straight into using it without waiting for things to load up after startup. You mainly notice the difference when going back to a HDD rather than the improvement.

It's good in a laptop as having moving parts in a computer that is also moving isn't the best. However, as you know space is expensive, so you have to be a bit more careful with how you allocate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Monotype wrote: »
    It depends on your uses. It will give you faster boot times and access times. It's nice when you can get straight into using it without waiting for things to load up after startup. You mainly notice the difference when going back to a HDD rather than the improvement.

It's good in a laptop as having moving parts in a computer that is also moving isn't the best. However, as you know space is expensive, so you have to be a bit more careful with how you allocate it.

another benefit is ssd hard drives dont get as hot as traditional disk hard drives do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

another benefit is ssd hard drives dont get as hot as traditional disk hard drives do

Less power as well, good pro for a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Another nice thing is that the OS doesn't get sluggish over time. Doesn't matter how much the drive fragments, or how much crap is in your registry, you boot/seek times will still be the same a year from now - assuming the drive has TRIM of course - that they were on day one.

I myself replaced a 74GB Raptor with a 32GB OCZ Onyx. It's a value SSD, and probably one of the worst performing out there, but I still saw a speed bump. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have my eye on an Intel X25-M drive. I can't remember exactly, but I definitely seen a 160GB version advertised and possibly a 120GB version. My laptop drive I'm thinking of changing is around 100GB from what I remember so I'd like something similar in capacity.

I don't have the cash for it just yet, but perhaps in a few weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ui900

Maxtor 1,04% (contre 1,73%)
    - Western Digital 1,45% (contre 0,99%)
    - Seagate 2,13% (contre 2,58%)
    - Samsung 2,47% (contre 1,93%)
    - Hitachi 3,39% (contre 0,92%)

from
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2147063

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

ui900 wrote: »
    Maxtor 1,04% (contre 1,73%)
    - Western Digital 1,45% (contre 0,99%)
    - Seagate 2,13% (contre 2,58%)
    - Samsung 2,47% (contre 1,93%)
    - Hitachi 3,39% (contre 0,92%)

from
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2147063
    what does "contre" mean?

OP i believe that putting an SSD into a laptop wont yeild the same results as in a desktop. it'll be fast im sure, but probably not those benchmark figures fast.

Advertisement