Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 in Chicago

• 08-03-2011 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi! Me and 5 friends are travelling to Chicago this summer for 2 months. We are looking for accommodation but having trouble finding something as it is either too expensive or not furnished...We would like to live in the center, not southside, in an appartment suitable for 6. Can anybody help us and give some tips, hints or links to websites with info, any help would be appreciated, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bobo the clown

bunratty wrote: »
    Hi! Me and 5 friends are travelling to Chicago this summer for 2 months. We are looking for accommodation but having trouble finding something as it is either too expensive or not furnished...We would like to live in the center, not southside, in an appartment suitable for 6. Can anybody help us and give some tips, hints or links to websites with info, any help would be appreciated, cheers

Hi. I'm going to chicago myself with 3 other people. Some of my friends went last year. You wont find a cheap place to rent that is furnished. I was over for 10 days last year and every house I went into had blow up beds. The furniture can be gotten on craigslists as people leaving houses cant leave furniture in their old house and give it away for free.

The area where most J1 students live is in Wrigleyville which is north of the city. I'm not sure what price rent is but most J1 people have enough housemates to make rent cheap. A group of8 of my friends stayed in a 3 bed apartment. The life of a J1er seems different to what you imagined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I stayed in Wrigleyville a few years ago as well, definitely a great place to stay, get down to Bubba Gumps on Navy Pier as soon as you arrive, they usually hire loads of staff at the beginning of the summer.

As above, accomodation is usually unfurnished but if you're willing to share with a load of people you can pay as little as $50 a week (but that was in a real kip)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 youngb

Hey, me and 4 of my mates are also heading out, flying out of Dub on the 24th with BA..
    I've a few questions:confused:;
    How much money should ya bring out do ya think?
    We really wana live in wrigley/lakeview as heard its the best spot, whats the best way about getting accomodatioin?!.. We have no problems sharing with people! Keep costs down and meet people!
    Any things ya have to do when ya get out there? Really want to make the most of it! ::D)

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TuxedoGav

Hey guys, Myself and a mate (two lads) are heading over to Chicago on a J1 in June and hoping to visit a few other places while there until September.

We've tried to look for some jobs and accommodation online but theres not alot out there, so we're planning on finding work and place ta live in the city when we get over there.

Anyone else headin over to Chicago this summer that would like to house share?smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dec the tall

Hello myself and two friends have just agreed a lease on an apartment in Evanston , it is beside Northwestern university, which seems like a cool area full of students and bars with tons of frat houses

The apartment is really nice with 3 bed rooms and is only a 8 minute walk to a train which runs every 8 minutes to downtown Chicago... The train takes 45 mins to downtown and costs 2.25$ per trip which is really good.it takes about 25-30 mins on the train to get to Wrigelyville ... The apartment has 3 bed rooms of which 2 have 1 single bed and the other room has a double bed, two bathrooms a fully furnished kitchen a table, chairs and a couch, which can be converted into a double bed.. The apartment is really nice and is pretty spacious for Rent it would cost for 5 people $300 each a month plus a $300 security deposit..... for the 1st month which would be paid back on september 10th 2011

Let me know if you or anyone eles who sees this is interested my email address is declanclear25@hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭silverwater

Hey lads,
    I know it's a bit late, but in the off-chance any of you read this, I am a J1er and I run a night for J1ers.
    I have good idea of what you guys want to drink and hear, and am always open to more suggestions. I even ordered in some boxes of Tayto, and we give a packet for free if you have Irish ID. You won't find that anywhere else.

So, consider Hi-Tops Sports Bar at the Fullerton Red Line on Sunday Nights.
    Deals include - $1 Busch Light cans, $1 PBR Draft, $3 All Drafts, $3 Vodka Cocktails, 2 for 1 Jager Bombs, $20 all you can drink for 3 hours.

Music includes The Fields of Athenry, Where's Me Jumper? and N17. And whatever else you want to hear.

Find us on Facebook here, and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_170352226360326

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LCoops

Was thinking of going on a j1 this summer. My friends and i were thinking either boston, myrtle beach or chicago. Where would be best in relation to jobs and irish people?

Advertisement