Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers Market

Options
  • 08-03-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello,

I'm trying to get my foot in the door on the Farmers Market. My produce would be food stuffs. I know I need insurance etc Does anyone know what I need for when the Healthboard officer calls out? Is it ok to use my own equipment or do I have to have everything in stainless steal...

Any info is greatly recieved

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

If you're working in a domestic kitchen you can't have all the stainless steel stuff, it has to be domestic equipment to be registered as a domestic business. Otherwise it's entering into commercial equipment/business in which case you need a completely separate kitchen space.

Just call your local EHO and they will come out and inspect it and see what needs to be changed, each county's EHO interprets the rules differently so you're better off just calling your local one and speaking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Firey redhead

that's great, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Hello,

I'm trying to get my foot in the door on the Farmers Market. My produce would be food stuffs. I know I need insurance etc Does anyone know what I need for when the Healthboard officer calls out? Is it ok to use my own equipment or do I have to have everything in stainless steal...

when you say foodstuffs. As in fruit and veg or cooking stuff like hotdogs, burgers chips?

Foodstuff like Cakes, scones, biscuits, relishs etc, etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 falsers

What your EHO will need to see will very much depend on your products. If you are making and selling high risk foods this will play a part in what they need to see and how difficult it will be to get approval. You need to have you products down, so you need a definite list of what you want to make and sell.
    You can have stainless steel in your kitchen, they don't expect you to have industrial equipment but if you had a few bits it won't go against you.
    You will need liability insurance to sell your products though and most reputable markets will ensure you have this.

• Advertisement

falsers wrote: »
    You will need liability insurance to sell your products though and most reputable markets will ensure you have this.

Already have that lined up, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 jimkekk

Hello,

There is a new indoor food market opening in Dundrum I believe they are looking for stall holders

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MyAmber.net

You can also ask the organizers of those farmers market.
    They can tell you about the requirements for food stalls.
    Have a look here:
    http://www.vscevents.com/becoming%20a%20trader.html

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Hi - just wondering if you got started in a Farmers Market and if so how difficult/easy it was to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Hi Firey,
    I think your best bet is just clean up the place, have it looking well and use the first call out as a means of chatting and finding out whats needed.
    They are really really helpful. You are allowed to use your own stuff.
    Your house probably wont pass if you have a washing machine in the kitchen as opposed to utility room.
    You are also expected to have a double sink (or a sink and a half if you get me).
    Another bathroom/sink downstairs somewhere would help too.
    You will also have to do a food handling training course, theres ones that run for a day or more serious ones that last a few days.
    Again though , they are very helpful, and they will explain all this to you. Im going by my own experience and what people had told me before I met up with them myself.
    Best of luck with the business!

• Advertisement
Advertisement