Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment 55: Macro

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

bloodsucker.jpg

flower.jpg

oops.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

Bogmanfan,the first fly is so stunning,looks like encrusted in gold and diamonds.What lens are you using,if I can ask?

Bogmanfan,the first fly is so stunning,looks like encrusted in gold and diamonds.What lens are you using,if I can ask?

Cheers. It was taken with my Canon EF-S 60mm macro and my recently-acquired MR-14 EX ringflash (thanks oshead :D). It's cropped slightly from the original, mainly just to centre him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

simply stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

5537683855_4d290a8ae4_b.jpg
    Bruscar by G-White, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Hey guys, just came across this forum after the checking up on the Limerick photowalk. Loving the idea of the photo challenges, here are some I took while waiting for the parade to kick off yesterday.

DSCF1014.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Fur70SzxPjJstD3R86pOVA?feat=directlink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lainy2

March2011019-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

5540991582_0e6bf4570a_z.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

ooooo i want those boots!!! @ thecageyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

199971_111706485575599_100002087453570_100790_1623321_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

5532333775_398f03bb37.jpg
    Petals by magnum_lady, on Flickr

ooooo i want those boots!!! @ thecageyone

Ha, they actually belong to our 3yr old, she's a right little punk :D Whenever she see's me with my Doc's on she goes running for these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

0C63881EAB9F4F2E9D0ED8665CACB1CC-0000314502-0002225711-00800L-6E1839AF6413455B9D2724F19E89EAB6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭salamanca

7299AB30D4BE4E4C93403A52B685DD81-0000320721-0002225760-00800L-29C90ABE68924F62A0BD7CA1D13A4AEC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

First Spider through the lens this year:)

Canon 7D, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens, 1/100", f11, iso 100, Canon MR-14EX Ringflash 1/4 power, Handheld
    Spider_200311_1.jpg

First Lady

5544731002_c93e20fe05_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

7304783AA16643868B6203E1020BC6D2-0000340195-0002227332-00800L-3BDF8864238D4DD4866D85C3D81EE6EF.jpg

Filth

5545344968_e6a4316b3e_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

053EB7561B2D4306A22E94B9E79471D2-0000328476-0002227529-00500L-AB796EFDBC7041AE8146A80631B68B6F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

nails2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

DB084592560D44D2A59A680C9C3489AD-0000327511-0002228320-00800L-23EC9AD19F944FC4B6C3DC5CBF725D68.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

5548179416_7bf4455aac_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

F3F98722A917459086541DA8DC794B1C-0000332366-0002228784-00800L-05E757EC0FB04B0689220E97A86149C8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Damokc

5548811156_b3986d13fd_z.jpg
    NeoCube by Damien Casey, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

DSC06912.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

DSC03916.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭aislingj

FoxT wrote: »
    IMG_2349.jpg
    And the winner is FoxT.... congrats - great shot!:cool:
    Over to you for the next challenge!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Wow, Thanks everybody!
    I learnt a lot from this, especially from some of the great contributions by others.

I am going to bask in the glow for a while & will come back later with an idea for challenge #56!

Cheers,

FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Damokc

well done...think you had it won very early.great shot.

Thanks! Actually I thought there were some better ones than mine, which had real visual appeal & were more 'macro'. Getting my pic up there early helped I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Well done. Great shot. Looking forward to next challenge.

Well done, it is a great shot, not macro at all really but again, people are voting for the image not how it fits the challenge it seems. Never mind. It's a great 'close up' ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Miaow!

Well done, it is a great shot, not macro at all really but again, people are voting for the image not how it fits the challenge it seems. Never mind. It's a great 'close up' ;)

This is a pretty tasteless remark I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Bitchy stuff :)

@thecageyone: I am glad you like the photo, thank you.

If you feel that submitted photos are not in keeping with the spirit of the thread, or are breaking a competition rule, I suggest you contact a mod, who will, I am sure, deal fairly with the situation.

Regards,
    FoxT

Oh now I get it. Talk about ruffled feathers!

I was being honest, your shot was not macro. But I did say I liked it. Just simple pointing out of fact. Tell me where I'm wrong. I see no malice here, just maybe a bit blunt. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Oh now I get it. Talk about ruffled feathers!

I was being honest, your shot was not macro. But I did say I liked it. Just simple pointing out of fact. Tell me where I'm wrong. I see no malice here, just maybe a bit blunt. Seriously.
    This is not a C&C thread... If you have a problem with a post, report it.

Everyone knows that :)

First of all, I want to say that I do not not know who you are. I do not know who Ghost, Zillah,Dades, or any of the people who commented on my win, or voted for my photo are (except for 1-2 people that I met on a recent photowalk). I am all the more appreciative of their votes & support. Also, I have no axe to grind with you personally, but I do have a problem with your post.

I will state clearly that I do not regard my shot as not a macro shot, I do not have macro equipment. My understanding of the first 10 or so posts is that a technical macro shot was not required, and so on that basis I entered a number of photos, one of which received the most votes. I am happy to say that in my view there are photos in this assignment that I regard as better than my own,and I would have voted for them more than once if I could.

I think your comment was sarcastic and negative, and offered no positive critique of my own photo or anybody else's here. You are certainly entitled to express your view, but the spirit of these assignments is, in my opinion, to offer encouragement and/or critique. This you have not done.

Tallon wrote: »
    This is not a C&C thread... If you have a problem with a post, report it.

Everyone knows that :)

And you didnt say this to fox t because? I stand by what I said. Nothing ignorant about it whatsoever. I stated a fact. The shot was good, but not macro at all. Fox t is whinging and gaining sympathy for no reason, yhere is zero merit to his post. He carried it into another , now deleted thread. The others should seriously re read my post and wonder why you get so uppity about these things. fact is fact. I didn't realise there was such sensitive souls. Fox t has already pm'd me to say he reported my post with the above overly sympathetic post, Sorry, but that is all it is. In fact, how dare he have a go at me when all i did was speak the truth. This is basically censorship he wants. Looking for someone to punish me for saying what is. I still dont get the complaint. It would have been very easy to see that my post was just as is. Blunt but fair. As I told him on the reply, he said himself it wasn't macro! That is what my post was responding to! What is wrong with you!?

FoxT wrote: »

I will state clearly that I do not regard my shot as not a macro shot, I do not have macro equipment. My understanding of the first 10 or so posts is that a technical macro shot was not required, and so on that basis I entered a number of photos, one of which received the most votes. I am happy to say that in my view there are photos in this assignment that I regard as better than my own,and I would have voted for them more than once if I could.

I think your comment was sarcastic and negative, and offered no positive critique of my own photo or anybody else's here. You are certainly entitled to express your view, but the spirit of these assignments is, in my opinion, to offer encouragement and/or critique. This you have not done.

I'm glad you can admit that yourself. And that is all I pointed out after you said it yourself! What is your problem? You didn't get positive feedback from one person and you have a rant about them? Even when I did say he shot was good. You're sore becUse inpointed out what you'd already done so yourself! I'm sorry, but yours the one out of order trying to shut me up.

Again: you shot was good but it didn't fit the brief. It isn't anything close to macro it is merely a close up. If you entered a colour shot into a black and White competition and I pointed it out would you have made that same speech?

Zillah wrote: »
    This is a pretty tasteless remark I have to say.

I strongly disagree. Nothing tasteless about it. I shouldn't even feel a need to defend it but since you're ganging up up what is clearly just a bold statement of fact . . .

This happens here All the time. People automatically assume the worst from any non back patting post and next thing there's a mini mob. I've already stated what I meant. Fox t is out of order with his second post here. He's also contradicted himself as in the first he admits he's glad I liked it but . .

Then the second is a rant. Saying he should only get positive or no feedback. I know it's not a c&c thread but there are guidelines and rules.

Sorry for the triple responses but I'm on a phone and it's a bitch to
    post from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Holy shìt would you build a bridge already?

You made, by your own admission, a blunt (I'd call it tactless) comment, it was taken exception to. FoxT's post was perfectly polite and a reasonable reaction. In glancing at your subsequent posts I see the words 'sore' and 'rant' but if they are aimed at someone else, maybe you should look a little closer to home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Your initial post could be construed as looking for an arguement. The thread was moving along nicely but you seemed intent on ruffling some feathers. FoxT mentioned you could contact a mod if you had an issue with a photo rather than mentioning it on thread- effectively derailing the thread.

While being blunt can often at times be the way to go you have to remember that not everyone is going to appreciate it. FoxT didn't say they were after a pat on the back, they mentioned that you offered no positive critique- in the sense that there was nothing constructive about it as opposed to asking you to tell them how great it was. I fear you've misunderstood what they meant by positive critique.

Calling the poster a whinge is hardly in the spirit of the forum- is it? I don't see anyone heaping sympathy on the OP- most people are simply saying that you were out of line- blunt for no reason.

How dare they have a go at you? C'mon....... are you not being a tad sensitive now yourself?

I strongly disagree. Nothing tasteless about it.

It came across as sad, bitter and pointlessly contrary. These competitions are supposed to be a laugh and a way to give some stucture to your shooting, there's no prizes, no need to make passive aggressive comments after it is done. Maybe I took you up wrong, maybe it was a completely harmless observation, but your continuing attitude would say otherwise.

Also, claiming what you said was true doesn't make it any less tasteless. Telling a widow that her recently deceased husband was a wanker could be an accurate observation but doesn't make the person saying it any less clueless and offensive.

Just lighten up, basically.

Advertisement