Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia to launch dual-gpu geforce gtx590 next month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

but will it overheat and break down from defects? Will nvidia deny all wrong-doing for months until enough damning journalist reports state otherwise?

Whatever the case I would be delighted if the 6990 out-does this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I wonder if the HD6990 will beat it (outside TWIWMTBP titles of course, as they usually have CF-blocking measures hardcoded), given that it will be two slightly-underclocked HD6970s, whereas the GTX590's GPUs will most likely have to be heavily underclocked extra-hard if not also crippled at the silicon level?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I was going to wait to see if this was worth a look, but figured I'd go for a 580 now instead after hearing the potential cost (€700+!).

36055.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Solitaire wrote: »
    I wonder if the HD6990 will beat it (outside TWIWMTBP titles of course, as they usually have CF-blocking measures hardcoded), given that it will be two slightly-underclocked HD6970s, whereas the GTX590's GPUs will most likely have to be heavily underclocked extra-hard if not also crippled at the silicon level?

Bang on the money as always Solitaire :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

erm, just dont overvolt it, most reviewers cards are literally blowing lol
    magicsmoke_small.jpg
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_590/26.html
    I tried 1.2 V to see how much could be gained here, at default clocks and with NVIDIA's power limiter enabled. I went to heat up the card and then *boom*, a sound like popcorn cracking, the system turned off and a burnt electronics smell started to fill up the room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc
    Settings used during card failure:
    GPU Clock @ 772 MHz
    GPU VCore @ 1,025 V
    ( stock is .938 )

Although i think going from .938->1.2 is just bloody stupid the SweClockers one was a lot lower, and there are more and more reports appearing around the web on cards dying with overvolting.

• Advertisement

Its always the first thing people do to a highly-stressed card...

"Hey, we can't get any OC out of this at stock volts! That's okay, we'll overvolt it!!1!"

Never mind the fact that most highly-stressed cards are already near their ultimate design threshold for voltage as well as speed:stability... :eek: You push the volts, you melt the GPU or the VRMs. Everyone thinks they can let out the hidden magic by just cranking the voltage... all they do is let out the magic smoke instead! :pac:

Anyway, looks like its the current drivers ignoring the VRM temp sensors that's causing the bulk of the current explosions...but seriously, 0.938 > 1.2V?! What were they thinking?! :eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

who cares, I'll still anti-fanboi rabble their asses :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

And its full of frothing-at-the-mouth fanboiism - thanks Chris :rolleyes:

Haters gotta hate... any real reviews out there? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Solitaire wrote: »
    And its full of frothing-at-the-mouth fanboiism - thanks Chris :rolleyes:

Haters gotta hate... any real reviews out there? :pac:

I must admit, there was a time when I would suck up all that was written on Tom's, but older and wiser now.
    If you can strip away some of the hype, it is still possible to get some useful info out of them

• Advertisement
Advertisement