Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funeral for a Friend - Welcome Home Armageddon!

Options
  • 08-03-2011 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Any fans of these guys in here?

Stormed onto the scene with their first 2 albums (Casually dressed) & 'Hours'.

Decided to go for a concept on their 3rd album(Tales dont tell themselves), alienated alot of hardcore fans, as with the 4th Memory & Humanity.

Personally I have liked them the whole way along(even if 3 & 4 grated a little after a while) or smacked of cheese not sure which? :cool:

AAANyway!
    New album is out next week(I have obtained a copy - ahem) - Welcome Home Armageddon and I must say, the reviews are fairly spot on... A triumphant return to form!!

Some epic tunes on here from heavy - Front row seats to the end of the world allow some drummer screaming to lead while there is still the od pop song in here - 'Are you watching'.

Overall I think this is exactly where they needed to return to. Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I haven't listened to the new album yet but I loved Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation and Four Ways to Scream Your Name (recorded by the legendary Colin Richardson). I saw them in concert twice around the time it was released, in Dublin and London. The Dublin gig was in the Ambassador and absolutely rocked. I remember seeing a pair of kids partway through a snog just as the band tore into Rookie of the Year. Everyone around me started jumping around and I lost sight of the couple. I hope they managed to disentangle themselves before getting hurt.

Memory and Humanity was very dull the few times I listened to it. It seemed like they had gone for a radio-friendly sound which just made them sound like "generic rock band #437" rather than the distinctive sound they had on their earlier releases. I liked Into Oblivion from Tales Don't Tell Themselves but otherwise it suffers from the same problems as Memory and Humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Used to be a huge fan of these and loved Casually Dressed and Hours as well as the older stuff. They kinda lost me around Tales Don't Tell Themselves though and I only liked Into Oblivion.

Haven't listened to Memory & Humanity at all but just finished my first playthrough of Welcome Home Armageddon after reading this thread and must say I don't think it lives to the earlier stuff. I did enjoy it more than Tales though.

I was also at the Ambassador gig and got to meet the band in Schuh earlier that day and they were sound. Turns out they're playing in a tiny club near me at the end of the month so I'll pop along to that as they're really good live!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Will probably end up checking this out, I like Hours and even enjoyed a lot of the more melodic stuff on Tales don't tell themselves...Open Water comes to mind as a stand out track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Turns out they're playing in a tiny club near me at the end of the month so I'll pop along to that as they're really good live!

And where would this be Cherry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Really liking new album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

HBK wrote: »
    And where would this be Cherry?

I'm living in Newcastle upon Tyne at the moment but they're playing a small club in Durham at the end of the month. Plus it's only £12 so might as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

best put down i ever heard was when a friend said: "who is that band again? famous for a fortnight?" :D

sorry, i'll get me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

best put down i ever heard was when a friend said: "who is that band again? famous for a fortnight?" :D
    *cringe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lucanlad

Great band, great new album, 'Spinning Over The Island' what a tune.

Hopdfully an Irish gig this year though turnout was a bit disapointing last time they played here in 2009 in The Academy, though with the new album im sure a gig here would do well.

I see they are playing Download this year, typical ive booked tickets to Sonisphere :rolleyes:

Advertisement