Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could this work????

• 08-03-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭

I thought about this late last night, and I thought to myself "Is this crazy enough to work?"
    Here is a genius idea I came up with to sort out the country :
    Currently everybody is fucked, you, me, the government, banks, industry etc etc etc.....

The church are in everybodies bad books at the moment due to what they have been getting away with for the last 100 or so years. The church probably owns a shed load of land(my arguement may fall down here if they dont). So I propose the church give their land to the state. Everybody then thinks the church are out to repair the hurt/damage they did to society.

The government it to the banks to prop them up with capital. Banks are sorted so they can start loaning out cash to companies again, which should create/keep jobs!

Then we dont have to pay out cash to prop up the banks any more, we can use our taxes to pay for good public services, no more people left waiting on trolleys, crime goes down etc.

Then with all the jobs that we keep/save/create, we spend more money, tax revenues go up and we pay l'europenas back in double quick time and every body is happy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

No land is worth less than ice-cream these days!

hmmmmmmm ice-cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Who buys the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

no...it wont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

The government it to the banks to prop them up with capital. Banks are sorted so they can start loaning out cash to companies again, which should create/keep jobs!

The banks can fcuk off if they think are getting one more red cent. Even hypothetically, on an internet forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Kasabian wrote: »
    Who buys the land?

Anglo and their developer friends and wayhey off we go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Kasabian wrote: »
    Who buys the land?

Billy Mitchell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Why does somebody have to buy the land, cant they just use it as colateral to back up their debts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Would the land need to be rezoned from R.C. to some other religion or non-religion whatever the case may be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

DOUGAL.....what do you mean you gave away the house???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Maybe if the Vatican just gave money instead of land? Sure its loaded...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Why does somebody have to buy the land, cant they just use it as colateral to back up their debts?

Are you not buying the land ?? it is south facing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

More houses is what we need..... fill that land with housing estates.

Signed : D Drumm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Why dont they start putting all that money they have into our infrastructure instead of spending it on.. Whatever they spend it on.

They also have the cheek to send out these little boxes to your house with 52 little envelopes. On each one it says "Weekly donation". I ****ed it into the fire. Like **** will I give them money when I barely have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sure the churches property if handed over to the state would help however your plan will fail for the following reasons - The church controlled from rome would never hand over property in this manner. The church is a money grabbing organisation and to think that they would consider such a proposal is naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

Nah the church won't hand it over for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

blockedPaT wrote: »
    Nah the church won't hand it over for free

True, you'd probably have to sacrifice your first born son

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What a wonderfully terrible idea.

However, I do believe the Government can forcibly claim the land for themselves on the grounds the Catholic Church has done irreparable damage to the country :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the govt should nationalise church land, Henry VIII style.
    Of course, we'll never have a govt with the balls to do it, so it's wishful thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

What do the church need the land for??

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

We could just take it off them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I believe that RC Church has been transferring assets to affiliated organisations in anticipation of such a move over the last few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I believe that RC Church has been transferring assets to affiliated organisations in anticipation of such a move over the last few years.

Oh but i hope the key board warrior atheists ride the hole off this thread aswell!
    Its a win win situation. The atheists have fun and the Church apologists get all justified!:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Any support for a bit of an old pray??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

What do the church need the land for??

Investment/speculation/laundering

Ive always got a laugh at the way the RCC down through the decades claimed this, that or the other was "a threat to family life" while their sitting on huge land banks was a major contributor towards keeping housing costs artificially high and therefore denying many families a decent roof over their heads.

Look at all the big green bits on a map of Dublin. Barring the Phoenix park and unusable land around the mountains and airport Theyre almost all either Golf courses or land owned by the RCC or its affiliates/subsidiaries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Sonics2k wrote: »
    What a wonderfully terrible idea.

However, I do believe the Government can forcibly claim the land for themselves on the grounds the Catholic Church has done irreparable damage to the country :D

Who's gonna forcibly take the land from the Government after the irreparable damage They did to the country
    what do the church need land for
    well graveyards is a one, But obviously glasnevin cemetary would be better suited to havin a Starbucks on Collins' grave

a lot more of the land is schools and the Pitches & Grounds that go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I thought the church was already handing over some lands/property in reparation for some of the abuse incidents. I am not against the idea of handing over more land but what good will it do? There are thousands of unfinished houses in ghost estates around the country so no point in building more.

If used for community projects where will the money come from? Government and local authorities are broke and fundraising for charity is nigh on impossible with so many people on the breadline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Good point about the golf Courses, Those golfin Feckers got us into the mess we're in today, Lets take the golf courses too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Good idea Billymitchell
    someone asked 'why would the church give it?

It's not about giving. It's more about taking.

The various buildings they own - "churches" contain a lot of metals - chalices, crucibles etc that could be melted down, marble, timber, carpets and variety of materials that could be made into cash. Sundry bottles of wine. Also their clothing -vestments or whatever. The employees -"priests" all are assigned a house to live in. Many of these are in prime locations around dublin. A fleet of cars to be sold also.

Above all there is vast tracts of land, eg miltown. Even in this deflated market would fetch a handsom sum.

Advertisement