Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn Of The Decade!!

Options
  • 08-03-2011 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Well, it's been 10 years and about 5,000 posts since an 18 year old Jackass was looking to chat to people about the counter-strike computer game and was hoping to arrange some online "clan matches".

It seems like an awful long time ago since those video games were my obsession!!

Since then I've worked many jobs, been through college, been through a few long term relationships, gotten engaged, travelled the world and come back again.

But through this whole time, one thing, believe it or not, was consistent in my life!!

I found like minded people on boards.ie to play Internet video games with, I spent many an hour of downtime after school shooting the sh*t with the funnies in afterhours, I've gotten help and advice from boards.ie members whilst going through college, I went through a really tough long term relationship breakup, where the anonymity of personal issues game me an outlet to grieve and seek comfort in a way I couldn't get from close friends or family, for fear of being vulnerable or judged, I've met fellow travellers abroad through boards, I've gotten a job through boards, I've given people jobs through boards, I've even gone on nights out with people I've never even met through boards.ie.

I've debated everything from the effects of holding in a pee, to who will be the rugby champions of Europe, to Economic global stability, to who will lead the Government to why men have nipples on this website.

I've laughed pretty hard making some posts at the best of times, and I've cried even harder when making others, when times weren't so great.

In summary, for pretty much my entire adult life, boards.ie has been a constant companion and a source of so much in my life when I needed it. That sounds so insanely ridiculous, but the more I think about it and look at my life over the last 10 years, when noticing this milestone on my boards account recently, the more I realise what an amazing source this place has been for so many countless things in my life.

I know this was initially set up as something very different, but the way it has grown, and the thing that it has become, has been adapted year on year with the purpose for which I visited the site.

So, in summary, I'd just like to say a massive thank you to Dev, Cloud, Victor, Seamus, Des, Beruthial, Ruggiebear (a long and constant presence on my favourite board), and all the other senior members that have been on this site for so long and have contributed so much to, I'm sure, the lives of many, in such a massive way that I'm sure many users and posters don't even contemplate or realise, just what a source of information, help and entertainment boards.ie is to so many people.

Thank you to all, and here's to another 10 years! :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nice post - well written. Seems Boards.ie has served you well, and your experience is definitely a two-fingers to the sneers of "Loser nerd forum for people who don't have a life and aren't living in reality"...

Although I initially confused you with a different member and briefly thought this thread was some sort of biblical apocalyptic warning... :pac:

(Sorry Jakkass - but I did! :o:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Thanks god, I thought it was another good-bye thread :)

Nice post Jackass

/echo Jackasses sentiments. too lazy to do it myself

Advertisement