Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throw this in the IP pile...

• 08-03-2011 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

So having joined IP last week, I decided I'd start a log once I got tested. Finished up in work a bit early today so I got to test...

Weight: A whopping 71.9kg :pac:

Bench 1RM: 75kg. I went for 80 but when I lowered the bar, it decided it didn't want to come back up.
    Pull Ups: 5. FML.
    Push Ups: 42. Made a balls of this, completely burned out for the last 15 seconds.
    Inverted Rows: 12. Quite annoyed with myself for this one, as even though I had the strength to bring myself up, I just couldn't hit the bar. Although Will explained that although I had the bicep and lat strength, the middle of my back(He used the proper phrase) was where I needed work.
    TB Deadlift: 130 kg. I went for the 140 but it just wasn't shifting.
    Spider Test. 105, 90, 90, 85, 85, 85. Could've sworn I was gonna hit the full set on my first go but who knew 30 seconds went so quick?

So today I learned, the spider test is torture and I'm **** at most things. :pac: On the plus side, what a smashing place to train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Took a rest day yesterday as I have a fairly busy day of training today, so....

Morning session

10k backpack walk in the phoenix park with work. Did it in boots, uniform and obviously backpack with about 35lbs. Scout paced most of it but felt like I was coasting it, although the legs were a bit tight. Got it done in 1 hour 17 mins.

Then went home for an hour and a half, got some grub and off I went to IP.

S1

IP Warm Up x3

Front Squat
    30kg 1 x 8
    35kg 1 x 8
    40kg 1 x 5
    50kg 1 x 5
    55kg 3 x 5
    60kg 1 x 3

Went for the 60kg as I'm still trying to feel out what I can push to. Felt pretty good though, just trying to keep my form ok.

Supported RDL
    12.5kg 2 x 12
    15kg 2 x 8

These are bastards.

DB Sit Ups
    10kg 3 x 15

Neutral Grip Pull Ups
    Grey Band 2 x 12
    Green Band 5 x 12

The last set on the green band involved some furious kicking for the last rep or 2 on the last set to get all the way up. :pac:

Alternate DB Incline Press
    12.5kg 1 x 5
    15kg 1 x 5
    17.5kg 3 x 5
    22.5kg 2 x 5

Ab Roll Outs
    3 x 15

KB Shrugs
    16kg 2 x 12
    24kg 3 x 12

Then tonight I have an hour and a half of gaelic training. FML.

Got out of work late today, which in turn meant getting to IP late and then had to leave early to head to a family function...

S2(ish)

IP Warm Up x 3

Deadlifts
    40kg 1 x 5
    50kg 1 x 5
    70kg 3 x 3
    80kg 2 x 3
    90kg 1 x 3
    95kg 1 x 3
    100kg 1 x 1

Just went for the one at 100kg to see how it felt, came up ok so I'll go a bit heavier next time.

Reverse Hypers
    40kg 3 x 15

Alternate Plate Sit Ups
    20kg 3 x 20

DB Bench Press
    17.5kg 2 x 8
    22.5kg 2 x 5
    25kg 2 x 5
    27.5 kg 1 x 3 and 1 x 2

Ring Inverted Rows
    3 x 12

I'm bringing a mate over to IP tomorrow as he wants to join and I said I'd go through C1 with him. Assuming conditioning doesn't kill me, I'll hopefully do a bit of work to make up for what I missed today.

It was a good session though, I was feeling pretty good through the whole thing. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Good to see more people are logging their training. Think I saw you up there tonight alright. Hadn't a clue who you were before and still wouldn't have if I didn't see you pulling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

We'll start issuing name tags with people's username on them at the front desk.

Da Za wrote: »
    Good to see more people are logging their training. Think I saw you up there tonight alright. Hadn't a clue who you were before and still wouldn't have if I didn't see you pulling.

Was that you in the hoodie doing TBDL's?

This morning's session...

C1

Con Block 1
    80kg prowler pushes

10 in 10 minutes, handy enough

Work Block 1
    10 Box Jumps
    10 T Push Ups
    10 Upright Rows with 16kg KB

8 rounds in 15 minutes

Con Block 2
    Prowler Pushes
    5 with 80kg and 5 with 100kg. Done in ten minutes.

100kg definitely were harder, think I'll go for the 10 at 100 next time.

Work Block 2
    10 Single Leg Squats 5 e/s
    10 Sit Throughs 5 e/s
    5 Pull Ups... Had to break out the red band for a while. Really need to work on my pull ups.

8 rounds in 15 minutes.

Off to GAA training now.

Did a different work block for my second one as team conditioning was on and didn't wanna get in the way with bounding. Had a friend join today and did C1 with me... 7 minutes into the first set of prowler pushes he had to take a trip to the jacks to spew his guts up. Splendid stuff. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Poccington wrote: »
    Did a different work block for my second one as team conditioning was on and didn't wanna get in the way with bounding. Had a friend join today and did C1 with me... 7 minutes into the first set of prowler pushes he had to take a trip to the jacks to spew his guts up. Splendid stuff. :pac:

I've figured out who you are - I was bounding same time as you - I'll say hi next time I see you. I remember thinking your friend was gonna regret attacking the prowler with such gusto first time out :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've figured out who you are - I was bounding same time as you - I'll say hi next time I see you. I remember thinking your friend was gonna regret attacking the prowler with such gusto first time out :D

I think I know who you both are now.

Well... I've it narrowed down to 2 out of 3 people.

Hanley wrote: »
    I think I know who you both are now.

Well... I've it narrowed down to 2 out of 3 people.

My shorts had "Army" written on them, so that should solve that problem. :pac:

I know who you are now, same goes for COH... Think I know who gymfreak is too.

My shorts had "Army" written on them, so that should solve that problem. :pac:

I know who you are now, same goes for COH... Think I know who gymfreak is too.

I wasn't checking out your package dude...

Hanley wrote: »
    I wasn't checking out your package dude...

I have no comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Think I know who gymfreak is too.

Very attractive-looking shins at the moment...yes, that would be me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

This is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Was that you in the hoodie doing TBDL's?

That was myself.....all swole in my hoodie!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

This is sad.
    I know! I too was incredible sad that I had to cover my shins this weekend and couldn't wear a dress.
    Thanks for the sympathy..I knew you'd understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Now I'm trying to figure out who you are too.. You weren't the guy pushing the prowler with me the other day were you? If that's you, slow down next time - I need longer fecking breaks!!!!:p

G86 wrote: »
    Now I'm trying to figure out who you are too.. You weren't the guy pushing the prowler with me the other day were you? If that's you, slow down next time - I need longer fecking breaks!!!!:p

Alas that wasn't me, it was one of the lads I train with :pac:

Well today got off to a shocking start, while at gaelic training in work today I went up for a ball and ended up ****ing up my thumb. Too much pressure causes me quite a bit of pain... Went to IP anyway.

S1

Front Squats
    30kg 1 x 8
    40kg 1 x 8
    50kg 1 x 5
    55kg 4 x 5

55kg wasn't too bad but my thumbs was causing snags so didn't risk 60kg.

Single Leg Supported RDL's
    15kg 3 x 8
    17.5kg 1 x 8

DB Sit Ups
    7.5kg 3 x 15

Had to go with the 7.5kg's as the 10kg's were in use. Handy out.

NG Pull Ups
    Grey Band 2 x 12
    Green Band 5 x 10

Alternate Arm DB Press
    12.5kg 1 x 5
    15kg 1 x 5
    17.5kg 1 x 5
    22.5kg 4 x 5

KB Shrugs
    24kg 3 x 12

Had to rush the end a bit, wasn't the best session I've ever had but onwards and upwards.

S2

IP Warm Up x 2

Deadlifts
    40kg 1 x 5
    50kg 1 x 5
    80kg 3 x 3
    90kg 3 x 3
    100kg 2 x 3

Happy out with these today, they felt good.

Reverse Hypers
    40kg 3 x 15

Alternate Plate Sit Ups
    20kg 3 x 20

DB Bench Press
    15kg 1 x 8
    17.5kg 1 x 8
    22.5kg 2 x 5
    25kg 3 x 5

Inverted Rows
    3 x 12

These were meant to be ring rows but when I was setting up the rings the straps kept slipping, so I decided against using them until I figure out how to do it. :pac:

45 Deg Side Arches
    3 x 10 e/s

Single Arm DB Press
    17.5kg 2 x 8
    20kg 3 x 8

Really enjoyed this session today, I went in planning to get at least 1 x 3 out of a 100kg deadlift so I was happy to get the 2 sets without it killing me.

I'm on duty tomorrow and head off to London for the weekend with my better half on Friday so I won't be back in IP until Monday, when I plan on sweating away all the booze and food I'll consume over the weekend. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Rings: You threaded the webbing the wrong way through the cam. There's a little feed direction arrow for next time you're doing it.

I had a feeling it was me being a retard rather than anything to do with the rings.

So, yesterday was supposed to be my first day back training since London.

Playing gaelic yesterday I went up for a ball and came down awkwardly on my left arm. Was a bit sore but thought nothing of it really, just decided to rest it. Woke up today with my wrist absolutely aching and not capable of much movement of my left hand. So spent today in the hospital in work and now I've to get some x-ray's done tomorrow to see if I've fractured anything. Hopefully it's just a sprained wrist or something that's not serious.

FML.

Eh... just throw some strapping on it and ignore it til it goes away?

Went up yesterday for a bit of S1 to see how the wrist held up.

Felt decent to start with, however soon as I tried to do some pressing my wrist wouldn't even hold out for a warm up set. So aside from getting my deadlifts done, along with reverse hypers and some sit ups, my wrist decided to be a ****.

Took today off, wrist is feeling close to normal again though so gonna head back up tomorrow for some conditioning and maybe a bit of pressing afterwards just to see how the wrist is.

This whole not training thing is driving me up the walls.

So after being told by an Army doctor that nothing was wrong with my wrist, I've spent the last month training on it like a mong even though I can't push a door open without feeling serious pain cause of my wrist. Decided to go see a real doctor this week and it turns out I've damaged the ligaments in my wrist and due to spending a month training with it, playing gaelic etc. I certainly didn't help the recovery process. So for 3 weeks now I can't do anything that involves my wrist.

I've been away with work for pretty much all of April so didn't have the time to be in IP. Was pretty **** to hear it closed, the short time I was there opened my eyes to how much of a retard I was when it came to training properly. Hopefully Will and the lads do well in their future endeavours. I'll be back to RAW once my wrist stops being gay, then I've to try figure out what I'm doing all over again :pac:

This week when I got the chance, I got back to running properly since I can't do anything else...

Thursday - 6.5 miles purely on concrete, shocking on the knees.
    Friday - 5.5 miles on the Curragh Plains, love running down there
    Saturday - 8.4 miles, on a mix of concrete and trails but felt pretty good throughout.

Starting from tomorrow I'll be tracking times, just wasn't arsed this week. Gonna hopefully sort this wrist out and then spend the rest of the year training for the EU Battlegroup that kicks off next year. Huzzah.