If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region Free Blu Ray Players?

Options
  • 08-03-2011 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

Not sure if it's appropriate but i was wondering if you guys have region free BD players in stock?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's appropriate but i was wondering if you guys have region free BD players in stock?

Bullseye,

thanks for the post & apologies for the delay getting back to you.

We don't have ANY Blu-Ray DVD Players that are multi region for Blu-Ray, the people at Blu-Ray towers have that pretty locked down so that it's virtually impossible to unlock the regions - however if you are looking for a Blu-Ray that is multi-region for standard DVD's we can help you out there as we can do the Philips BDP5100 in Multi region mode at £119.95 / €144.99.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/philips/bdp5100-mr/phil-bdp5100-mr

Keep me posted if we can assist in any way!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Thanks for the reply John. It's a pity on the region locking. But i do recall Pioneer after a while producing region free DVD players. Hopefully in the coming year or so they will do the same.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply John. It's a pity on the region locking. But i do recall Pioneer after a while producing region free DVD players. Hopefully in the coming year or so they will do the same.

Not sure they will to be honest but I'll send you a PM on the issue,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's worth mentioning Bullseye1 that a lot of Blu-rays come region-free.

You can use this website as a resource to determine if they are.

Basq wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning Bullseye1 that a lot of Blu-rays come region-free.

You can use this website as a resource to determine if they are.

True Basq,

And even some that are marked a 'locked region' are actually region free - however the controls ARE FAR tighter on BR than standard SD DVD.

But yep, you are dead right & I should have mentioned it!

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

sorry to hijack this thread :) was looking for a blu ray player myself just wanted to check what the best price richersounds can do :D

coadyd wrote: »
    sorry to hijack this thread :) was looking for a blu ray player myself just wanted to check what the best price richersounds can do :D

If you are happy with an open Box unit - I have a Philips BDP2500 that I'll clear at £49.95/€59.99

If you are looking for a basic brand new boxed unit I can do the Toshiba BDX2100 at £59.95/€74.99
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/toshiba/bdx2100/tosh-bdx2100

Thanks again & keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

@Richersounds.ie: John, I've seen people on UK forums saying that there are non-brand/no name BluRay players out there that are region free. Apparently Tesco in the UK had been selling one <£100.

Are you aware of any of these units in Ireland and would ye look in to getting them in future? While yes some Blus are region free that's of little use to us who want to watch the likes of Criterion on blu-ray.

@Richersounds.ie: John, I've seen people on UK forums saying that there are non-brand/no name BluRay players out there that are region free. Apparently Tesco in the UK had been selling one <£100.

Are you aware of any of these units in Ireland and would ye look in to getting them in future? While yes some Blus are region free that's of little use to us who want to watch the likes of Criterion on blu-ray.

Butch,

The party line on Blu-ray is that it the machines are region locked and I have yet to meet a credible manufacturer who will state otherwise.

I understand that the Tesco model is also progressively being restricted via firmware updates.

There are a few machines available that will allow you limited region changes - however as soon as you use any of the enhanced online functions they will lock the region of the machine - with SD DVD MR is an option on many machines - however at present we don't offer any multi-Region Blu-ray players.

To be honest the majority of BR titles are still region free so it is less of a hassle than was the case with SD DVD, but I'm afraid that I cannot assist you with an MR BR Player.

Thanks for the posts,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.