Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are university tests graded?

Options
  • 08-03-2011 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone would be able to tell me a liittle bit about how university tests are marked.

What percent do you need for a 'first', a '2.1', '2.2', etc. I have no idea about this kind of thing and was just curious. Does it vary from course to course, or is there a standard system (á la the Leaving Cert)? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

First class (I): 70% or higher

Second class, first division / "upper second" (II:1): 60-69%

Second class, second division / "lower second" (II:2): 50-59%

Third class (III): 40-49%

Fail: 39% or less

This applies to pretty much all university courses except professional training courses (e.g. medicine). Some courses subdivide Fail grades into two or three categories, but that's just an issue of what fail grades can be compensated for, versus forcing you to repeat the year.

Also, this doesn't mean that getting a high grade is easier at university. In fact, university marking is particularly harsh from the perspective of someone used to the Leaving Cert. A mark in the sixties is good: one higher than 75 is usually a once-ever occasion. (Exception: mathematics and science courses where there is no room for interpretation from the grader.)

Also, this doesn't mean that getting a high grade is easier at university. In fact, university marking is particularly harsh from the perspective of someone used to the Leaving Cert.

Yeah I'm doing a science course at the moment, and all the people I know who were used to full marks in secondary school tests freak out when they see results. I'm in second year now and I still know people who think they're doing really badly because they got 70%, even though it's about the highest mark anyone got. Basically in college it's better to judge your performance by comparing it to the average mark, rather than looking at the grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭resistantdoor

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. What is the average grade in university? I presume it would be around the 55-60% mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Most people would average out around the 60% or over mark. If you look at graduation lists the majority are virtually always in the 2:1 category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

pow wow wrote: »
    Most people would average out around the 60% or over mark. If you look at graduation lists the majority are virtually always in the 2:1 category.

Gotta love grade inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 tejula

In some countries grades on college are like these:
    10 - 90 -100%
    9 - 80 - 89%
    8 - 70 - 79%
    7 - 60 - 69%
    6 - 50-59%
    5 - fail
    4 - fail
    3 - fail