Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three useless independents

Options
  • 08-03-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

I see Michael Healy Rae, Michael Lowry & Noel Grealish are the only 3 independents how havent grouped into the technical speaking group.
    So that makes them pretty much useless.
    I really hope they dont get in next election. Its annoying that a TD space in Galway west is wasted on Grealish.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

They mightn't share the same values or the stance as the technical group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

How are they any less useless than backbenchers in the main parties who have no say and must toe the party line or lose the whip. Even if your part of the technical group only three of the members can be nominated to talk on behalf of the other members. So if there are 9-10 people in the group only 3 of them can talk and only one at a time. So you need to get one of the 3 members to raise your point in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I see Michael Healy Rae, Michael Lowry & Noel Grealish are the only 3 independents how havent grouped into the technical speaking group.
    So that makes them pretty much useless.
    I really hope they dont get in next election. Its annoying that a TD space in Galway west is wasted on Grealish.

AFAIK, they'll get speaking rights and privileges for supporting Enda Kenny as taioseach. So they'll be as useful/less as any other independent.

I hate all independents equally to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

They mightn't share the same values or the stance as the technical group.

True, but the technical group has many different people with a range of different stances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    How are they any less useless than backbenchers in the main parties who have no say and must toe the party line or lose the whip. Even if your part of the technical group only three of the members can be nominated to talk on behalf of the other members. So if there are 9-10 people in the group only 3 of them can talk and only one at a time. So you need to get one of the 3 members to raise your point in the Dail.

At least the backbenchers are actually part of the government, so they might get a chance to make some small impact on decisions.
    At least if they were part of the technical group, they would have the possibility of raising issues if they needed. But staying out of it, they have no real chance.
    Of course as Einhard said, they could back enda Kenny as taoiseach!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Michael Lowry campaigned strongly that he could back Enda Kenny, he was on the Pat Kenny show last month, well their reporter was.

He doesn't hold a key balance of power seat this time but he'd had no issue supporting FG.
    He'll do a deal with anyone!

Advertisement