Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing while tenant still present

Options
  • 08-03-2011 8:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im moving out of my house of two years in 6 weeks time.

My landlord has advertised the property and asked me what nights of the week he can have people come around to view the property. While I understand the need for him to get the property rented again, I am wondering if its the norm for an existing tenant to have potential tenants walking around the property they are letting on certain evenings. I just think it is a bit of an intrusion, especially considering my landlord is looking for multiple times that suit. I am also concerned about the security of my belongings especially if viewing occur when I am not there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It is the norm, but the landlord has to work around your convenience, and give at least 24 hours notice. Personally, I would only allow viewings when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Definitely only when you're there. I'd give him an hour a week, tell him to arrange all viewings for this time. Apart from that, feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It's normal but you should make sure it's at a time you're aware of but I don't agree with other posters that it's fully necessary to be there for every viewing.

You could arrange that it's always at a known time every week where they can hold a viewing and then you know in advance and can make sure that valuables are hidden.

Personally my landlord is looking to sell my apartment and I've arranged that they will only show it on a Tuesday so that we know when the are showing it and because of that we can have it clean and we can have valuables hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

My landlord viewed the house while we were still living in it, and always made sure to let me know the day before (although this was for her sake to make sure we had it clean as opposed to being out of consideration for us).

I did make sure I was always there, although the estate agent always accompanied the possible new tenants so I doubt there would be much risk of things being nicked, I still didnt feel comfortable with people being in my house while I wasnt there though. I just gave her two hours of the evening 5-7pm where I would be there two days a week (Tues and Thurs). She still rang me on random days asking could people come view it, if it suited me I said no problem, if it didnt I said no (ie Friday nights etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This has happened to me the past few times I've moved out of somewhere, it's pretty standard. They are required to give you adequate notice of any viewings, I think it's 24 hours and you can refuse if it doesn't suit you.

It seems most people on here preferred to be there, I was the opposite, I usually made sure I was out at that time. It's kind of awkward being there when someone is looking around! I just made sure that any small valuables were put away and I didn't leave piles of cash lying about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm not sure that you're obliged by law to allow this at all if you don't want to.

Check the terms of your lease, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Legally, you don't have to allow any viewings. The landlord can only enter for inspections, at reasonable intervals, by prior arrangement of time and date by you and with your permission. They are not entitled to hold viewings while you are paying rent.

Personally, I would be very much against allowing viewings while I am paying full rent and living there. However if an agreement could be reached that was to my advantage such as a reduction of rent for the last month or getting my deposit back immediately, I would allow a limited time for viewings, while I was there, at specified times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mollyxmagoo

I just rang threshold as I am in similar situation - it is required apparently that you come to an arrangement with landlord on showing people around & you can insist on being there while people are looking around. Has anyone successfully managed to get their rent reduced for last month on this basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I just rang threshold as I am in similar situation - it is required apparently that you come to an arrangement with landlord on showing people around & you can insist on being there while people are looking around. Has anyone successfully managed to get their rent reduced for last month on this basis?

i always get it put in writing that any home i am renting will not be shown till i'm gone

Advertisement