Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL won't connect, engineer says i need a new router!

• 08-03-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭

Hey guys about two weeks ago my eircom broadband completely packed up, with the DSL light constantly blinking and no internet light on the modem at all.

Got the engineer out and he said all the connections are fine and the problem must be the modem,

The thing is that eircom are asking me for another 12 month contract to get a replacement. That seems a little steep considering it's only a cheap modem and TBH i don't even think the modem is the problem.

I can access it through the computer just can't connect to the internet, that damn DSL light won't stop flashing.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

How old is the modem? Any chance of borrowing one to see if it would work with your connection?

Eircom wont give out new modems as if you are out of contract you could leave them within a month of getting the new modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

If you confirm it is the modem you can buy your own... Get one off of sales or just wander into pc world. You could also grab a cheapey off of adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

i had same issue with Eircom..faulty line or equipment,they force me to get a 12 month contract.
    got a cheapy modem off adverts,replaced,all ok so far !

also,you can try doing a hard reset,software reset ALSO run a server firmware upgrade for your model !
    swap the adsl filters,check cables inside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Thanks for the advice guys, will see if can get my hands on another modem, before i buy a new one ,

TBH i hope it is a faulty modem , I've had the thing for over 5 years but i didn't drop it or anything the thing just went :(, so maybe buying a new will fix it,

Any body have any recommendations ? Belkin ? Linksys ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Linksys or Netgear all the way...just check for ADSL2 (if your line takes it) compatibility.
    Also,built-in or not Wireless N...
    Good luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

I have a spare you can test with but you have to come out of hiding temporarily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Treora wrote: »
    I have a spare you can test with but you have to come out of hiding temporarily

Ha ha Never !!!

Thanks for your help guys , when i get a router and if the problem is still there, all hell will break out :mad:

Advertisement