Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading in N.Ireland

Options
  • 08-03-2011 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I just want to be clear from the start. I want to keep this as above board and legal as possible.

Having plenty of relations in the north (literally a 10 minute drive). Im wondering how could I set myself up so that I can legally buy the tools and materials for reloading. Make my own bullets. And then legally bring those bullets back into the Republic.

To be honest, I just want to do this for the experience, not to save money. So Im not too pushed if Im making a loss on the bullets... well within reason.

And just incase anyone misses the first line.... I want to do this 100% legally, not exploiting loopholes, or working in a grey area of the law... but absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt- legal.

Any thoughts or advice on the matter... anyone else doing this...??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mayfly36

I think the only way is to change address details to the 1 in the north, not sure if you can use it as a temporary address, but i think you will have to apply for a northern permit, now i could be wrong and im sure someone will put me right, you dont need any permit to buy the tools, or bullet heads, cases etc, but for primers and powder you do, as im sure you already know this anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

mayfly36 wrote: »
    you dont need any permit to buy the tools, or bullet heads, cases etc, but for primers and powder you do, as im sure you already know this anyway.

No I didnt know that at all actually :o

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gerry.L wrote: »
    No I didnt know that at all actually :o
    Gerry, that's a pretty basic part of the legislation. Without being patronising, there is quite a lot to learn on the legal side of things to do this; and there really isn't a legal way to do it in the Republic at the moment except as part of the Creedmoor pilot project being run in the Midlands right now (and which is closed). The hope is that a successful run there will lead to reloading being made open to everyone else; waiting for that might be a better course of action than trying to do it up north the way you're describing if you are that unfamiliar with the legislation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As MayFly36 has said the bullets, and cases can legally be purchased in the North without a license. They are not considered componant parts in the same way they are in the ROI. Here you (technically) need to have enough of an ammo limit on your license to cover not only your live rounds, but spent cases too.

The primers and powder can only be purchased under license in the North. If i am not mistaken you go into your local dealer, produce your license, fill out a form for the PSNI, the dealer submits the form, orders the powder/primers, you then call back and collect, and pay your money. (Maybe the money has to be paid upfront- I'm not sure on the actual specifics).

In order to get the license i imagine it would be the same as the ROI. You need to be a resident of one of the six counties, at least for a minimum amount of time. You would need a residence, and proof you live there in the form of utility bills, etc to gain the firearms cert. Without the license you will not be eligible to apply for the powder and primers.

Once you have all that sorted you then need to export the ammo (in its finished/made state) into the ROI. You also need an import license to bring it across the border. To have the ammo in the ROI you will need either an ROI firearms cert or visitors pass, and possibly a European Firearms Pass.

Basically you need more licenses and permits/certs than its worth or to be a citizen of both the Northern Ireland and ROI, which i do not think can be done as the conditions to hold firearm certs in each district would prevent this.

Moral of the story its more trouble than its worth, and also the reason why everyone is not doing it. Now if i'm wrong in some parts i'm hoping some of the lads that live and have their firearms licenses in the North could clarify certain points on licenses, etc for me, but all in all i think i'm not too far off.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement