Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting articles from other websites

Options
  • 08-03-2011 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Recently having started my own website, which is proving quite popular in a small way, I have started to get p1ssed off at people stealing stealing articles/stories from the site. I don't mind people linking back to the site as I get hits (ads etc) but people reproducing them for people on "smart phones" or just simple copypasta is annoying.

Am I right to be annoyed? it is only a side thing and the income in minimal but I feel a bit peeved.

Would you be peeved off or am I getting old?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Recently having started my own website, which is proving quite popular in a small way, I have started to get p1ssed off at people stealing stealing articles/stories from the site. I don't mind people linking back to the site as I get hits (ads etc) but people reproducing them for people on "smart phones" or just simple copypasta is annoying.

Am I right to be annoyed? it is only a side thing and the income in minimal but I feel a bit peeved.

Would you be peeved off or am I getting old?

Ask for a credit.

Grandad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If there's a link to you from here then you get Google-cred.
    Mostly people here post a link and then someone else, or a mod, adds the actual content so the thread will be easier to read and we don't have to jump between pages/windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

biko wrote: »
    If there's a link to you from here then you get Google-cred.
    Mostly people here post a link and then someone else, or a mod, adds the actual content so the thread will be easier to read and we don't have to jump between pages/windows.

Do you give credit back to the website? i know what you mean by easier to read but is that not skewed?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Unfortunately we are all lazy bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Recently having started my own website, which is proving quite popular in a small way,

The Daily Mail ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you give credit back to the website? i know what you mean by easier to read but is that not skewed?
    Well, pretty much always there is the link? Almost never is content such as articles just copied without link.

Although this thread started in AH I feel this would be an interesting discussion for the entire site, moved to Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'd always post the link, sometimes quote, sometimes not.

It seems it is becoming more and more internet etiquette to post the text as well, with so many using iphones, smartphones etc.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Why is this feedback for boards.ie? Is someone here reposting your material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Why is this feedback for boards.ie? Is someone here reposting your material?

It was in AH? When threads are moved it should really insert that in the first post me thinks.

Feedback? The system works!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

So, your question is about people reposting material from your website onto other websites, but not specifically boards.ie. Is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm pretty sure the OP is referring specifically to articles reposted from his website into threads in AH and is looking for feedback on the acceptability of same on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Cant see the problem provided theres a link back to the original source.

Failure to link is the height of rudeness both to the originator of the material and the readers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I can't see the issue either, so long as it's attributed and linked to the original. And if in the rare case the person sees it, objects and it gets removed in a timely fashion.

Where I can see an issue is when someone does a copypaste from a pay site. Then the site would be more vulnerable I would have thought? There is value attached and where money's involved, the law and lawyers tend to follow.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Well if you're re-posting content that's behind a pay-wall then there are concerns as the intention is that the publisher is trying to make money with that content and so republishing it in the wild is effectively theft, so that's a definite no no. However, I would find it ok if you were to snip a few lines to support a point being made citing where you got it - just not wholesale or majority reproduction of the piece.

Anything else, I'd say it's far to copy as long as you link back to where it came from and acknowledge the author(s). However, some people will have copyright details on their blogs or if it's a news paper site, guidelines for what you can and can't do with their content.

Advertisement