Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tried these but only one good...

• 08-03-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Used black card behind daffs to bring them out of the boring withered briars....The chains look lovley, colours right I think.

Daffs disappointing - I know wind was blowing lightly, but still, I expected better.

Chains not edited - original and looks quite good, Daffs had to be edited as briar came into top of image, and sharpened it slightly but no better really.

Ideas?

Am going to try more outdoor pics tomoro to see if I can get it right.

150923.jpg

150924.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I think the daffodil shot is a littleover exposed. The extra sutter speed for a better exposure also would have removed the slight motion blur leaving you with more sharpness.

I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve with the first so I cannot comment on it. Maybe you had something in your head you were aiming for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I think the daffodil shot is a littleover exposed. The extra sutter speed for a better exposure also would have removed the slight motion blur leaving you with more sharpness.

I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve with the first so I cannot comment on it. Maybe you had something in your head you were aiming for?

Sharpness and colour were a main concern.......but it shows up good in the chains, really happy with it (boring I know, but vibrant at least). Most of my pics wer lacking in lush green pastures, just dull boring fields.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

If it's just vibrancy you're after in the chains, the colours do look well, but the overall image looks underexposed. It just lacks a little 'oomph' - a boost of light of some kind.

the daff's are definitely over exposed. That wouldn't be got to do with them moving, more the light that was hitting them at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

mumof2 wrote: »
    Daffs disappointing - I know wind was blowing lightly, but still, I expected better.

1/25s is a very slow shutter speed for a daffodil on a windy day. Use a faster shutter
    speed, even if it means increasing the ISO. I notice the shot was taken at 18:07.
    Try a little earlier when there is a bit more light.
    Am going to try more outdoor pics tomoro to see if I can get it right.

Keep at it. Outdoor flower shots can be tricky. The slightest breeze looks
    like a hurricane when you look through the viewfinder.

From the public park today:

150940.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

mumof2, I agree - I think the rings are OK, the daffs are

- a little overexposed
    - and if you could move the black card a bit further away, that would help ( ie it will make the black background darker) - probably need to go to ISO 200 to do this.
    - and your shutter speed is borderline, (ie too slow)
    - and, while the daff on the left is reasonably sharp, the others are blurred, but whether that is due to the slow shutter speed or AF I dont know.

- Shooting at f/4.5, your DOF will be quite shallow so I doubt you will be able to get them all in focus.

- This photo I think was ISO 200, f/4.5, 20mm(?) 1/25th

I would try the following:

STEP 1

- focus on 1 particular point ( ie just enable 1 AF point on the camera)
    - move the black card a few cm further back
    - bring the shutter speed up to about 1/50 to 1/80 (reduce exposure, darken background, reduce shake)

STEP 2
    - Up the ISO to 400, and reduce the aperture by a stop ( ie go to about f/5.6) use the same setup & shutter speed

STEP 3
    - cut the aperture by another stop (now at f/8), up the ISO to 800 to compensate.

I am guessing that step 2 above may well give the best result, but it is always worth experimenting!

-FoxT

• Advertisement

FoxT,

thank you, that is a brilliant help. I was wondering today if metering has anything to do with my shots being out of focus at times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

hbr wrote: »
    I notice the shot was taken at 18:07.
    Try a little earlier when there is a bit more light.

Yeah, I agree!
    You've got to get the light right & early morning is often good.
    If it's too bright, the daffodils are difficult to expose properly.

60F16D3850934C87B22D3908B129E1D0-0000314356-0002193749-00500L-5E69F5C24CAC460AB4D1B90E83819946.jpg

City-Exile wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree!
    You've got to get the light right & early morning is often good.
    If it's too bright, the daffodils are difficult to expose properly.

60F16D3850934C87B22D3908B129E1D0-0000314356-0002193749-00500L-5E69F5C24CAC460AB4D1B90E83819946.jpg

I cant wait to be able to do that!!!! Beautiful. But any processing involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

FoxT,

thank you, that is a brilliant help. I was wondering today if metering has anything to do with my shots being out of focus at times?

Your are welcome. To answer your Q., No. Metering measures the brightness of the subject & figures out the aperture & shutter speed to use.

Autofocus operates independently of metering. (even though they both start at the same time when you 'half press' the shutter button).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I cant wait to be able to do that!!!! Beautiful. But any processing involved?

Just contrast/saturation. Nothing fancy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement