Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about repeating

• 08-03-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I am planning on repeating sixth year next year as I have missed a lot of time over the last few months. I am hoping to do english (Hl) and maths (OL) this year as the texts will be different in English and the syllabus will be different in maths. It will help reduce the workload for next year as well.

Will I be able to do this and add the points I get in english this June to the rest of my results next year? I'm depending on english as one of my best six.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Nope, afraid you won't be able to combine your English points with next years points. That said if you get the required C/B in OL Maths that will stand (the fact that you've passed it) for any future course applications and you won't have to do it next year (unless you're going for medicine) but you won't get any points from it

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

If you're counting on English maybe you should set up a meeting with a teacher/principal in your school? They understand the stress you're under as exams get closer; generally most of them are really sound about it. You might do better than you think if you work really hard for these 3 months!

I'm repeating this year. I only got a B2 in English but I was getting As the whole way along so I was really disappointed with it and English is very hard this year. I've had to do a new text for the comparative, HAMLET (the bane of my existence...) and pretty much all new poetry. To be honest I'm nearly more comfortable with Ag Science, a completely new subject to me. If somebody skilled at English I knew was repeating I'd tell recommend to do Geography. Being good at English really helps for that and in my opinion it's way WAY easier to get a higher grade in Geography (Project is 25%).

I don't regret going back to repeat but it's been a really hard year, especially in English. It's not as easy as 6th Year when you've been putting in the two years. All your friends generally move on to college (but hey you split up anyway) and you've to go into the year behind. I've some friends repeating in other schools, and they've all taken it differently. It's definitely a commitment. Maybe you can turn it around now before the exams? There's always back doors into most courses these days :)

Having said that if you're sure and you want to repeat, go for it :) I'm not trying to put you off it's just I know people that really regretted going back. The way things are though a good Leaving will always stand to you though! Gordon Gecko is right about Maths being okay for entry purposes, so you could potentially have time for another subject if not going for Medicine. I definitely know repeats that don't do Irish because they passed it and I think maybe the same holds true for English although I'm not certain. If you're repeating try and NAIL Maths this year at least so you don't have to worry about it.

Good luck, this June and next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

The Shtig wrote: »
    I am planning on repeating sixth year next year as I have missed a lot of time over the last few months. I am hoping to do english (Hl) and maths (OL) this year as the texts will be different in English and the syllabus will be different in maths. It will help reduce the workload for next year as well.

Will I be able to do this and add the points I get in english this June to the rest of my results next year? I'm depending on english as one of my best six.

No, you can't.

If you're depending on English, then you must be good at it. So you seem to have two options: work seriously hard for these three months (seriously, that's a long time by LC standards!) and try and avoid repeating, or do English again next year. Doing the course in one year is though, yes, but it's not as bad as it sounds. There are usually some overlaps between the years with poets and comparative texts. In fact, as far as I know, the Shakespearean text for 2012 is still Hamlet. So you should be fine if you put the work in.

Attempt the first option, though. Don't sit back and say "ah sure I'll repeat, so I won't even bother this year", because you'll regret it. If you try your hardest and you simply don't have enough time and have to repeat, well then at least you'll know you didn't sit back and just let yourself be left behind. Repeating is hard because you see your friends move on without you (I've been there), don't make it harder by having the thought that you could have avoided it in the back of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 irelandfan

Hey I actually opened a tread back a few days ago about repeating Lc.
    As i'm aware that the maths sylabus is completly changing next year so I think it would be impossible for me to take maths in june 2012.
    I'm only looking for a pass at (OL) maths this year (I know you can't take points from one lc year to another anyway I'm not hoping for any points just a pass) So by not doing maths next year would colleges still accept the fact that I passed maths and accept me?? (baering in mind I get enough points in my other subject).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kumago

Hey I actually opened a tread back a few days ago about repeating Lc.
    As i'm aware that the maths sylabus is completly changing next year so I think it would be impossible for me to take maths in june 2012.
    I'm only looking for a pass at (OL) maths this year (I know you can't take points from one lc year to another anyway I'm not hoping for any points just a pass) So by not doing maths next year would colleges still accept the fact that I passed maths and accept me?? (baering in mind I get enough points in my other subject).
    im repeating my leaving cert this year for points only and im not doing english,irish or maths again and as far as i know as long as the course you want to do does not reguire a certain grade for maths just that you have passed it colleges will accept you for your course as long as you get the points required.

• Advertisement

kumago wrote: »
    im repeating my leaving cert this year for points only and im not doing english,irish or maths again and as far as i know as long as the course you want to do does not reguire a certain grade for maths just that you have passed it colleges will accept you for your course as long as you get the points required.

cheers
    and when you were filling out your cao form how did you put down the fact that your not doing english maths or irish this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

Hey Qst...just wondering if u do repeat and you leave out english and maths and say irish?
    would u have to take up extra subjects instead of them?

(sorry if its a bit stupid to ask)
    :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Holly91 wrote: »
    Hey Qst...just wondering if u do repeat and you leave out english and maths and say irish?
    would u have to take up extra subjects instead of them?

(sorry if its a bit stupid to ask)
    :confused:
    No such thing as a stupid question.
    You can sit as many or as few subjects as you like. It is university entrance requirements that specify certain subjects can or cannot be sat in the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

thanks you :)
    but on a points basis would u not have to have a minimum of 6 subjects even if u repeat?
    im just a little confused...:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Holly91 wrote: »
    thanks you :)
    but on a points basis would u not have to have a minimum of 6 subjects even if u repeat?
    im just a little confused...:o

If you're talking about repeating for college entry then you should do six subjects as they will count six.
    If you wanted to go to college you should check their requirements as regards compulsory subjects to enter college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

Thanks for the help everyone, was starting to panic but had a talk with my careers teacher and have everything sorted out. Will mean I have to take up a new text for English but I'll manage! It was the reason I wanted to get English out of the way.

The Shtig wrote: »
    Thanks for the help everyone, was starting to panic but had a talk with my careers teacher and have everything sorted out. Will mean I have to take up a new text for English but I'll manage! It was the reason I wanted to get English out of the way.

well hamlet is back up next year and sive is back for the compartive texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

Try put in best effort you can this year nonetheless. Trust me, repeating is daunting and all work should be done to try avoid it. On the other hand, its one year from your entire life.

cheers
    and when you were filling out your cao form how did you put down the fact that your not doing english maths or irish this year??
    as far as i can remember i didnt have to notify them i had to apply the same way a first time applicant does but theres a place on the appliacation where i had to put in my exam number from last year which automatically helps the cao find my results from last year to show i have passed the exams in those subjects and therfore am not required to do them again.

kumago wrote: »
    as far as i can remember i didnt have to notify them i had to apply the same way a first time applicant does but theres a place on the appliacation where i had to put in my exam number from last year which automatically helps the cao find my results from last year to show i have passed the exams in those subjects and therfore am not required to do them again.

okay cheers you really cleared that up for me.

okay cheers you really cleared that up for me.
    no problem:)

Advertisement