Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Voltage Festival 2011

Options
  • 08-03-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭

So while we have all the big festivals announcing some of the biggest names in the world, other festivals also continue to name some quality acts. In this instance, its High Voltage (http://www.highvoltagefestival.com/)

£99 for two days of some huge names in the world of rock, metal and prog. Can't wait to be able to book my ticket.

High-Voltage-Full-Artist-Line-Up-Latest.jpg?nocache=811

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Mushy wrote: »
    So while we have all the big festivals announcing some of the biggest names in the world, other festivals also continue to name some quality acts. In this instance, its High Voltage (http://www.highvoltagefestival.com/)

£99 for two days of some huge names in the world of rock, metal and prog. Can't wait to be able to book my ticket.

I'll see you there Mushy :-)
    if it's half as good as last year it'll still be a class weekend, imo the lineup isn't as strong as last year, but it never was going to be, they've brought the ticket prices down considerably, and lost a good bit last year, so the stature of the bands may be a little less - but there's certainly some bands on there I've never seen before so that's always good....

the atmosphere was just so cool and relaxed - a lot of older people there because of the Prog element, but to be honest I'm happy with Priest/Queensryche/DreamTheater/BCC/Neurosis and the others that I'll gladly watch like Thunder, Evile and MSG.......of course the one thing they can't guarantee will be as good as last year is the weather - cracking sunny weekend......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

I'd love to be hitting this ... especially the Saturday line up : Anathema, Queensryche, Judas Preist.

Hope this festival continues as I plan on hitting this for my 40th next year !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

RayCon wrote: »
    I'd love to be hitting this ... especially the Saturday line up : Anathema, Queensryche, Judas Preist.

I'm hoping it does well this year too Ray - it's a very different option to the main UK Festivals, on a similar level as Bloodstock - but not as established.....atmosphere last year was just cracking, so relaxed.....

they are getting tonnes of flack on the message boards/forums about the line up this year - especially the Metal Stage announcements - but it seems to be from a lot of people that had no interest in going anyway (typical)......announced yesterday afternoon there'd be 2 more major names for Saturday Main Stage - so looking forward to seeing who....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shando316

I was planning on going on the Saturday for Queensryche and Priest, but after the tour announcement I just bought a Manchester ticket instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Got my ticket this evening. Really is great value, myself and my mate saying we'd probably spend £99 on DT, let alone the rest of the lineup. Now to look for cheap accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Thin Lizzy have been added to the line-up.

Gridlock wrote: »
    Thin Lizzy have been added to the line-up.

Not in the least bit surprised.

Slash Announced on Main Stage

We are delighted to reveal today that joining the High Voltage 2011 line up will be none other than legendary rock icon Slash, featuring Myles Kennedy. Widely considered to be one of the greatest guitarists of all time, Slash saw widespread critical and commercial acclaim with the release of his eponymous debut album last year, which featured guests such as Ozzy Osbourne, Iggy Pop, Lemmy and Dave Grohl. A single, “Starlight”, featuring Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge – and Slash’s touring vocalist) and taken from the album “Slash” is set for release on the 25th July 2011. The addition of this truly iconic musician cements that High Voltage is one of the must-see festivals of this summer.

High Voltage is the festival all true rock fans have been waiting for – custom built by rock fans, for rock fans.

Tuesday 12th April 2011, 09:00

A really good addition that could very well increase the attendance. I think this lineup is just as good as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Am looking at the possibility of going to this on the Saturday and then the mini-ATP Festival at Alexandra Palace on the Sunday. Only really interested in Priest and Queensryche.

• Advertisement

Michael Monroe added to the Main Stage on Saturday, with a few more Metal Stage bands added. Some people are very critical of the lineup this year in comparison to last year, but I will be one busy person on that weekend. Really hope the Prog stage finishes a bit earlier than Main stage so can catch as many bands as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Really trying to go this year. I prefer it to last years line up. Neurosis is such a great booking. Anathema and sylosis had me sold.

Donkey Balls ... I just copped - the bloody Olympics are being held in London next year at the same time - that might scupper plans for a High Voltage Festival 2012 ... aaarrrgrghhhhhh :mad:

Donkey Balls ... I just copped - the bloody Olympics are being held in London next year at the same time - that might scupper plans for a High Voltage Festival 2012 ... aaarrrgrghhhhhh :mad:

Well if Glasto cant get the toilets:-O

It shouldnt scupper plans to have it. Its not a huge festival so here be hoping.

And in spite of my previous comment, I've just read something that makes me think there will be a High Voltage in 2012.

I won't post a link unless you don't believe me, but they want the 3 wise men from YYZ to headline, but the bigger festivals are sniffing around;)

I won't post a link unless you don't believe me, but they want the 3 wise men from YYZ to headline, but the bigger festivals are sniffing around;)

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Holy flurkin sh!t - if that transpires Im gonna explode :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Well if Glasto cant get the toilets:-O

It shouldnt scupper plans to have it. Its not a huge festival so here be hoping.

Might be a problem accomodation-wise though.

Looking forward to it, havin a beer here and listening to the Von Hertzen Brothers, great stuff!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Having a look at the stage times from last year and it seems that the other two stages do end before(ish) the main stage headliner. The prog/metal stage headliners going on at the same time as the main stage sub(kinda) :)

Times were released, can be found on the forums of the festival site. Leaving very soon, cant believe its here already.

Will be busy weekend between stages. First bands at half 1 with gates at 12. Beerfest ahoy! As my mate put it, a weekend of prog rock and artisan English ale...perfect!

Keep it short for now, but what a weekend. Saw so many bands and had a blast. Great value. Definitely recommend it.

Will post longer, full length review later in week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Brilliant w/end. Still in London for another few days and just met Lizzy in HMV Oxford Street. Played five songs and did a signing session.:)

This is my "must attend" festival ... the plan is to be there next year

Ok so a longer review.

Arrived at like half 1 on Saturday, no queues, plenty of space for ticket checking. Walk by the wizard hat that is the prog stage with the Von Hertzen Bros playing...mightily impressive. Followed by Amplifier and Caravan, was a great start as all bands were good.

Traverse to mainstage to see Queensryche, they were good fun. Grab some food too, enough selection around the place and beer tents are well run. Anathema next were good but not what I was expecting unfortunately. Thin Lizzy back on main stage was great, so definitely seeing them with Clutch next year. Neil Morse...musically good but should stop the god-preaching BS. Slash and Judas Priest to finish it up was nice but Priest got tedious after a while.

Only negatives was organisation of the beer fest....lucky I wasnt depending on it.

Sunday was a calmer day, relaxed to the earlier prog bands, Spocks Beard were cool. Micael Schenker and Black Country Communion on main stage got the crowds moving. Dream Theater arrived and did what they do best...blew me away. So tight even with Mangini.

Overall was a great weekend, no dicks at it, really relaxed and fun. Lineup of great bands and new bands I wanna check out, cheap too. I for one will definitely make an effort to return.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I went on the Saturday, got my ticket last minute but so glad I decided to go.

We got great weather, there was a fab atmosphere and the bands were brilliant. I actually forgot that Thin Lizzy were going to be there, and thought they were brilliant. Loved the Queensryche and Slash sets, and even though I'd seen them before, Judas Priest were amazing.

I find it quite amusing that Rob has to change his jacket for every song!

Would love to go again next year, maybe to the entire weekend. Obviously It'll depend on who's playing, but enjoyed the set-up of the festival at the park so well impressed.

I went on the Saturday, got my ticket last minute but so glad I decided to go.

We got great weather, there was a fab atmosphere and the bands were brilliant. I actually forgot that Thin Lizzy were going to be there, and thought they were brilliant. Loved the Queensryche and Slash sets, and even though I'd seen them before, Judas Priest were amazing.

I find it quite amusing that Rob has to change his jacket for every song!

Would love to go again next year, maybe to the entire weekend. Obviously It'll depend on who's playing, but enjoyed the set-up of the festival at the park so well impressed.

Amazing weather on the Saturday....should've been there the Sunday. Cloudless blue skies and mid 20s heat. Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Highlights on Sky arts Sat 20th Aug.

http://www.skyarts.co.uk/music/article/high-voltage-2011/

Looks like no High Voltage Fest for 2012 due to the Olympics :
    This is a message just posted on Facebook by the High Voltage team:

Long time no speak Volters! We're sorry to say that unfortunately due to the Olympics, we're unable to bring you the full on High Voltage experience at Victoria Park next year. However, we are busy trying to work out something special for 2012 to keep the home fires burning... Watch this space, and we'll bring you any news as soon as we have any.

Rumours of a smaller prog-fest instead ...

Advertisement