Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive problem with Broadband Usage Meter

Options
  • 08-03-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I installed the latest copy of the Broadband Usage Meter on my Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 machine.
    Installation was ok, no errors, but now any application that requires access to Microsoft .Net 2.0, gives me errors.
    Below is an example of what happens when I try to run Winamp (freeware).
    If I uninstall BUM (what an acronym :D ) or exit the application, all my .Net problems disappear.

Any idea on how to proceed or who to speak to?

************** Exception Text **************
    System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
    at Forms.UsageForm.WndProc(Message& msg)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll[/URL]
    BroadbandUsageMeter
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/eircom/eircom%20broadband%20usage%20meter/BroadbandUsageMeter.exe[/URL]
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll[/URL]
    System
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll[/URL]
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll[/URL]
    Plugin
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/eircom/eircom%20broadband%20usage%20meter/Plugin.DLL[/URL]
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll[/URL]
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll[/URL]
    ************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.
    For example:
    <configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>
    When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Italia wrote: »
    I installed the latest copy of the Broadband Usage Meter on my Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 machine.
    Installation was ok, no errors, but now any application that requires access to Microsoft .Net 2.0, gives me errors.
    Below is an example of what happens when I try to run Winamp (freeware).
    If I uninstall BUM (what an acronym :D ) or exit the application, all my .Net problems disappear.

Any idea on how to proceed or who to speak to?

************** Exception Text **************
    System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
    at Forms.UsageForm.WndProc(Message& msg)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll[/URL]
    BroadbandUsageMeter
    CodeBase: [URL="file:///C:/Program%20Files%20%28x86%29/eircom/eircom%20broadband%20usage%20meter/BroadbandUsageMeter.exe"]file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/eircom/eircom%20broadband%20usage%20meter/BroadbandUsageMeter.exe[/URL]
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll[/URL]
    System
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll[/URL]
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll[/URL]
    Plugin
    CodeBase: [URL="file:///C:/Program%20Files%20%28x86%29/eircom/eircom%20broadband%20usage%20meter/Plugin.DLL"]file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/eircom/eircom%20broadband%20usage%20meter/Plugin.DLL[/URL]
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll[/URL]
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: [URL]file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll[/URL]
    ************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.
    For example:
    <configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>
    When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hi Italia
    have not heard of this issue before.:confused:I sent this to our tech support team and should have ananswer back today.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Thanks.

The issue is definitely BUM.

I did some more testing at work today, on a brand new installation of Win 7 x64 Ultimate. The only additional application I installed, apart from .net framework, was Winamp 5.601 (latest release).
    Ran it fine without any issues. Installed BUM - no errors. Configured it and then tried to open Winamp - bang! Identical error as I got at home. If I kill BUM from running, I can start and run Winamp. If I uninstall it - same result.

Thanks.

I did some more testing at work today, on a brand new installation of Win 7 x64 Ultimate. The only additional application I installed, apart from .net framework, was Winamp 5.601 (latest release).
    Ran it fine without any issues. Installed BUM - no errors. Configured it and then tried to open Winamp - bang! Identical error as I got at home. If I kill BUM from running, I can start and run Winamp. If I uninstall it - same result.

Hi Italia
    yes appears to be a software conflict. We are not aware of any outstanding issue concerning this but stillinvestigating.
    Will be back to you as soon as possible.
    Tony

Thanks.

Hi Italia
    this appears to be a MicrSoft issue according to our support team.
    Usage Meter uses .NET frame. I would suggest not to use the usage meter till MS has solved the issue. Meanwhile you could use the stats page on the broadband support link.
    You might try to update the OS at some stage later.
    Hope this helps.
    Tony

Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me.
    I find it a bit strange that Eircom supports deems it to be a Microsoft issue, as no other indication of a problem manifests itself unless BUM is installed and running. Having said that, I appreciate that it might still be the case.
    Could you ask your support to provide me (even by PM or email, if required) detailed specifics on this issue that show the issue as being a MS problem? (as opposed to an application issue)
    I work for a Microsoft platinum partner and have direct access to their development teams, so I could probably get this fast tracked.

Thanks in advance
    Hi Italia
    this appears to be a MicrSoft issue according to our support team.
    Usage Meter uses .NET frame. I would suggest not to use the usage meter till MS has solved the issue. Meanwhile you could use the stats page on the broadband support link.
    You might try to update the OS at some stage later.
    Hope this helps.
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me.
    I find it a bit strange that Eircom supports deems it to be a Microsoft issue, as no other indication of a problem manifests itself unless BUM is installed and running. Having said that, I appreciate that it might still be the case.
    Could you ask your support to provide me (even by PM or email, if required) detailed specifics on this issue that show the issue as being a MS problem? (as opposed to an application issue)
    I work for a Microsoft platinum partner and have direct access to their development teams, so I could probably get this fast tracked.

Thanks in advance

Hi Italia,

Thanks again for contacting eircom on boards.

Technical Support have advised that this is not an application issue with the usage meter and that you should contact Microsoft for further assistance.

They have also advised that the link below may be helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951847

If you need further help on this please contact Microsoft.

Regards
    Ant

Ant, Tony,

I passed this issue to Microsoft's development support in the US. They advise me that the issue is application related. According to them, the calculations on the data are resulting in bigger results than the table is expecting (no idea what this means).
    It could possibly be a JIT bug (again, no idea what this is)

What now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Ant, Tony,

I passed this issue to Microsoft's development support in the US. They advise me that the issue is application related. According to them, the calculations on the data are resulting in bigger results than the table is expecting (no idea what this means).

What now?

Hi Italia,

I have sent your post to the NGB team and as soon as I get a response I will get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Ant, Tony,

What now?

Hi Italia,

Just to keep you updated support are looking into the issue and trying to recreate the problem to identify a solution. So we hope to have an update for you next week.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement