Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kestrel (was - Help with bird ID)

• 08-03-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I saw a bird today in the midlands, think I have a positive ID for it, but would like a few more opinions coz I'm far from an expert:

It's back was a red-brown colour, with black wing tips and a black tail. It sort of hovered facing me with it's tail fanned (black with some white). Its wings were somewhat narrow and when it flew it did a reasonable amount of flapping rather than gliding around. It was in the countryside near a motorway and it perched on a street lamp for a short time too. I'm no good at describing size, so I'll just say it was smaller than a buzzard and bigger than a thrush!

Thanks for the help as usual!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Did it have a blue/grey head?

could have been a Kestrel.

550px-Common_Kestrel_-_male.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Definitely a Kestrel. Ofte seen at road margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Cool, that's what I had too, thanks for confirming. Do kestrels tend to have a large home range? Would I be likely to see it again in the same spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They form territories in Spring, so will probably be in the area regularly. The size of the range depnds on food supply and the local population of kestrels.

Advertisement