Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COLOR="White"]why do people post in black and can it be tuned out[/COLOR]

Options
  • 08-03-2011 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭

i use boards in cloud and i hate when posters use "black" its not soo bad on a laptop as you can just highlight it but on a phone its really annoying. what could be done and why do they do it?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Two sweetest words in the English language, "De-Fault"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tigger wrote: »
    i use boards in cloud and i hate when posters use "black" its not soo bad on a laptop as you can just highlight it but on a phone its really annoying. what could be done and why do they do it?

Are you deliberately posting in white to make your point? Because it's very hard to read on the beta theme, and probably a load of other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The problem is the advanced editor. If you write out a post in MS Word or similar and then paste it into the advanced editor, it preserves the color that MS Word was using, i.e. black.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It's a poxy pain, but just think of it as an idiot filter.
    tbh most people dont' use the colour fonts they are an eye sore so maybe they can be truned off.

Is there any way to get figures for how many people use each skin? I wouldn't be surprised if the majority use the default and beta skins, where the background is white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Go to the drop down menu and mouse over boards.ie > change styles>
    and you get a list of the styles and the numbers using them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sharrow wrote: »
    Go to the drop down menu and mouse over boards.ie > change styles>
    and you get a list of the styles and the numbers using them.

Note: this only works if for some insane reason you're not using the Beta skin.

Almost half a million people use White :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Almost everyone uses the default skin.

As we've been saying for some time, the other skins will be disappearing, never to return at some stage (maybe even this year). They take up a lot of very un-necessary dev testing time if there's a new feature or change for what is a very, very small percentge of members who don't use the default.

I've always personally found it extremely annoying when people post in weird colours that just aren't readable on any other skin, but that's more of a lack of knowledge that there are other skins and that it will be impossible to read. I sincerely doubt people are doing it to be numpties.

Dav wrote: »

As we've been saying for some time, the other skins will be disappearing, never to return at some stage (maybe even this year). They take up a lot of very un-necessary dev testing time if there's a new feature or change for what is a very, very small percentge of members who don't use the default.

I've always personally found it extremely annoying when people post in weird colours that just aren't readable on any other skin, but that's more of a lack of knowledge that there are other skins and that it will be impossible to read. I sincerely doubt people are doing it to be numpties.

My boards iompair eireann is going to disappear? That makes me a sad smutty :(

By all rights, the beta skin should become the new default, as it's the most user friendly in my opinion.

• Advertisement

As we've been saying for some time, the other skins will be disappearing, never to return at some stage (maybe even this year).

What's the default skin? I really hope you're not getting rid of the beta skin!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anyone who doesn't use Cloud is a person of dubious repute in fairness..

Anyone who types in black or even in bold (note mods) are not altogether distinguishable from normal text..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I used Cloud for nigh on ten years. Then I switched to Beta to see what all the fuss was about the menu.

At first it was weird. I couldn't tell what threads I'd posted in; everything was all bright and stuff. In fact I had trouble telling which threads had new posts.

But now I have to say I won't be going back to Cloud...

It's the "Find a Forum" dropdown which I find excellent. The forum hierarchy here is hard to figure out at times, but that's not a problem now.

Eoin wrote: »
    It's the "Find a Forum" dropdown which I find excellent. The forum hierarchy here is hard to figure out at times, but that's not a problem now.

I only just noticed that feature now - it's excellent. What I find most useful is the way the image for a mail or someone posting in a thread you've subbed to lighting up for a notification. It makes things so much more easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Conformity, fuck yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I use 'Green' :]

Will be gutted if the Cloud skin goes. Its much easier on the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

/me switches to Cloud

Nope.

/me switches back to Beta

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Default, that's how I roll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Just make m.boards.ie default... That'll annoy people :p

Beta is by far the best.

Tallon wrote: »
    Just make m.boards.ie default... That'll annoy people :p

Beta is by far the best.

You're evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

As we've been saying for some time, the other skins will be disappearing, never to return at some stage (maybe even this year).

Noooooooooo! :(

Can't stand the default, far too bright. I will honestly cry if Cloud goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gah, the beta is too bright. Anyone know how to change styles on this theme or is this one of those, "well you didn't read the small print so you're stuck with us now" type of deals?

Can't find where to change it back anywhere. This makes me a sad panda.

EDIT: Got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

So the answer is: don't worry soon when you are posting in bed cloud will be gone and a bright White light will shine out in it's place20090123141819!2x01-HatchLight.jpg

Ps I bet the above looks a lot less impressive not in cloud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I love Cloud.

Plus I use Ghostzilla and Beta doesn't work as well with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The best thing about beta is having the forums and categories at the top of the screen all the time, even when you are at the bottom of the page. You don't have to scroll up or hit home to get out of a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Also, interesting to note, the thread of the day is different in Beta to all other skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I presume ye might leave a couple of choices, though, Dav?

I've always preferred the default myself, but I know a couple of people who find it a bit bright. Having 18 choices seems completely unnecessary certainly, and it must slow things down for testing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement