Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor dairy cow condition

• 09-03-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭

Cows are calving I am not happy with some of there condition scores, They were fine when they were housed but seemed to have slipped alot and are calving down well below what I would like. Right now they are on 7kgs 16% protein and high energy feed and the ones not too bad are on 4kgs/day to try get them back, there also out by day and getting silage at night. Any advice or similar experiences of getting them back up a bit??

Oh and they are predominantly british fr with a slight strain of holstein.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

I assume you have them all dosed and done for lice etc. Maybe get some bloods done to figure out minerals, etc. Have you any idea whats in the meal, lot of poor stuff being sold this year with it being so dear, look to reduce protein%, include some maize meal or wheat at least.

How is silage quality, any mould, mycotoxins are deadly, I have them in maize last year, I’m feeding 50 g of mycosorb now to not have that problem again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

babybrian wrote: »
    Cows are calving I am not happy with some of there condition scores, They were fine when they were housed but seemed to have slipped alot and are calving down well below what I would like. Right now they are on 7kgs 16% protein and high energy feed and the ones not too bad are on 4kgs/day to try get them back, there also out by day and getting silage at night. Any advice or similar experiences of getting them back up a bit??

B/FR are well known for putting on condition so if they went in in good condition and fed even mediocre quality silage they should have at least held condition, couple of questions how long was the dry cow period and what was the dosing program for fluke and worms, have you noticed any cows with loose dung or scouring?

What are they milking, it may be just a case of not meeting their demands. What is milk protein like, is it dropping below normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

dungs are small bit loose but nothing terribly bad considering they are on grass during the day its to be expected. Done for fluke, worms and lice(twice) so thats not an issue. Dry period was >9weeks for all bar 1 which was 8.

I know silage wasnt great at start of housing but it has improved lately(baled silage). I think I am going to put it down to poor feed but now the thing is to get them back up??hindsight is great but I want them in good order for breeding. Over quota too so can afford to feed higher enery lower protein feed, as you say Jeff maybe more wheat??would you recon I could mix straight wheat maybe 1 or 2kgs with premixed ration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

dungs are small bit loose but nothing terribly bad considering they are on grass during the day its to be expected. Done for fluke, worms and lice(twice) so thats not an issue. Dry period was >9weeks for all bar 1 which was 8.

I know silage wasnt great at start of housing but it has improved lately(baled silage). I think I am going to put it down to poor feed but now the thing is to get them back up??hindsight is great but I want them in good order for breeding. Over quota too so can afford to feed higher enery lower protein feed, as you say Jeff maybe more wheat??would you recon I could mix straight wheat maybe 1 or 2kgs with premixed ration?

dungs will be loose on grass, i'm talking about dry cows, when you say they were covered for fluke were they done for rumen fluke also.

if over quota would you consider pulling out the thinnest ones and putting them on once a day, i have seen it done in the past by others just for a month to six weeks and the cows turned inside out. Just on the grass if you have very low covers you are making your cows work harder and burning off energy trying to get their fill.

• Advertisement

Wouldn’t be in favour of OAD milking but it works for some cows. I would concentrate on the diet first, reducing the CP% of the diet will help, 1-3 kgs of wheat should do. Simple things like having feed always pushed up, clean water troughs, enough space all make a difference

It may be worth doing a bulk tank test to see how they’re for IBR, BVD etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

put tnem on oad right away while you are sourcing problem check for rumen fluke it is a bitch
    we had a problem last year oad was a great help it realy is a help to get them in calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

think I might try OAD for a few weeks, there all low SCC cows anyway, herd average 123 last year.. and maybe increase more enery into the ration mix.

Bloods and dung done in October for BVD, IBR, Rumen fluke and stomach fluke and all clear so rules that out.

I'll keep ye posted on progress, thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If you still have some to calve that are thin you could feed them oats up to calving without increasing calf size.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    If you still have some to calve that are thin you could feed them oats up to calving without increasing calf size.

Always wondered what was to magic thing with oats was pre calving. It contains starch and fibre like other cereals. A nutritionist told me it myth, what happens is the cow is in better condition and has more energy, is fitter to calve as a result of the extra feed. I never use oats but wheat in pre calvers and have no problems with overgrown calves

• Advertisement
Advertisement