Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Monday night

Options
  • 09-03-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi guys,
    I have my birthday on a monday night in under 2 weeks and i was hoping for some ideas as to what drink promotions, events are around in the city. im a student so cheap and cheerful would be ideal for me and my mates. plus i dont really know dublin that well so any ideas it would be a great help.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

It sort of depends on what you want. Are you just looking for a place for 16 (yes I am serious) - 20 year olds just getting as drunk as humanly possible? Or do you want a place where you can sit, have a bit of a laugh, a bit of a dance, try to chat people up and generally have a fairly decent time?

Or are you going for a more friendly-family place with a rented out function room and DJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 buzzybb

sorry i should have said a bit more details....im not into all that student thing..been there done that!! im turning 26 so was hoping a nice pub with cheap promotions, have a laugh with mates but then a kinda place that livens up as the night goes on (if you know what i mean)..will be from about 5 pm after class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

buzzybb wrote: »
    sorry i should have said a bit more details....im not into all that student thing..been there done that!! im turning 26 so was hoping a nice pub with cheap promotions, have a laugh with mates but then a kinda place that livens up as the night goes on (if you know what i mean)..will be from about 5 pm after class.

Well you're kind of asking a bit here. I can name a few pubs that have a jukebox and has fairly decent prices (around 4.50 per pint) but... not much in the club scene with dancing; on the other hand you seem like you plan on having a bit of a club to be going to.

I do get you, alright, but it's a bit hard to get the place you'd be happy in.

The best I can give you is doyles (think it's spelt that way) in Phisborough. It's easily gotten to from town (just take any bus heading to Cabra and get left of it Phisb-boro ((it's actually said that to a lot of people)). It'd be at most, a 5 minutes walk if you get off a stop too early/late. It's known to be fairly dangerous though (few stabbings apparently :P) but it's really hard to describe the place you would like.

The only other place I can even consider would be Fibbers just by (or maybe on:P) Parnell street but it's a mix. On one hand get in early for songs on the Jukebox but the DJ can be very mean towards new customers downstairs (jukebox upstairs, DJ downstairs). So again, I don't know if you'll get what you want there. Downstairs doesn't seem good anymore. On the other hand! There is the Woolshed, by Cineworld on Parnell Street also, while it is quiet, I'm not a frequent customer there. But it's a sort of mix between "a nice night out before you hit the clubs and got sloshed (which you do not want :P)" and "dancing with some random girl at 2am".

Fibbers has 3 (perhaps 4) euro drinks on a monday. Have no idea about Doyles (I'm prety sure it's club prices, 5 or 6 euro per pint :(). Woolshed is a decent place, bouncers can be really "WTF are you doing coming in here type but not in a bad way, moreso nice fellas but it's just seeing if you'll be mean or nice in the place :P). They have normal pub prices from what I've seen. I think it is... 4.60 for a pint of Bulmers (which, smack bang in the middle of the city is pretty good).

Again, please note, I am bassing this on what I know from about three years ago till now. I have no idea what the promotions (if any , bar fibbers) is like on a monday. But I can tell you that the Woolshed is a nice place, like a proper pub (albiet pack at times) but it's a nice place.

Just avoid any and all places that have promtions like "4 euro vodka + shot!". It will end badly, trust me.

Oh and Fibber's and the Woolshed are opened by five PM (Woolshed is opened at 10 I think, Fibbers is 12).
    One more thing, Doyle's can be a local pub so you might get a few
    "old" (middle aged :P) folks there. Fibbers/Woolshed is more of your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Theres a place under Tara St station with dirt cheap pints. Its decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Theres a place under Tara St station with dirt cheap pints. Its decent enough.

O'Reilly's yeah, it's quite nice and all draught pints are 3.60 if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 buzzybb

i looked into o'reillys alright...think that shall be my place to start with.thanks for the info so far. :)

Advertisement