Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy-footed upstairs neighbour

Options
  • 09-03-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

I'm renting a house divided up into flats and the noise from my upstairs neighbour's flat is driving me mental. He's not just walking around normally, but it sounds like he's jumping around the flat at times, and at other times just pacing up and down for up to 45 minutes. It's usually weeknights until around 11pm and starts at 5.30am, but has happened at 1.30am too.

We've got a friendly enough 'relationship' but haven't said anything to him yet since it started 7 months ago. Don't want to rock the boat but I'm losing out on sleep.

How would you phrase it if you were to say something to him? Don't want to be passive-aggressive and knock on the ceiling!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭tanyabond

it started 7 months ago
    are you saying before that he wasn't as heavy-footed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Agree with tanya, try and find out what changed 7 months ago- maybe he replaced carpet with wooden floors, or got a job where he wears heavy boots or something. He probably doesn't realise how loud it is for you! Have a friendly word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I've been in people's houses where you could hear a gnat fart from the other end of the house. Personally I'd never live in a divided house for that reason. Say it to the guy nicely, in person, and see what he says.

A friend of mine got a letter from her downstairs neighbours asking her to stop trampling around on her wooden floors, which was a problem as she has carpet. Not to mention the floors are concrete. She wasn't too impressed they didn't come and talk to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I should have mentioned that be both moved in last July. We both have wooden floors.

I've no problem with being able to hear footsteps, I can accept it as a normal part of apartment/flat living, but it seems like an excessive amount of walking, on top of the occasional jumping session. It's even likely he has an OCD as he could easily clock up a mile in his flat each night!

Talking to him nicely seems like the way to go but I really have to think about how to word it now. I want him to know that I'm not being petty but at the same time not embarrass him (I'm pretty sure he knows how much walking he does!).

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I had this dilemma except it was to neighbours re a barking dog. It's always gonna be a little bit awkward, but the only thing you can do is say it to him politely. Doesnt sound like your the confrontational type who is gonna bitch and moan about nothing so pop up to his apartment, apologise for bothering him and just say it straight out. He probably doesnt realise he's doing it so I doubt it'll be an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement