Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving in Aus

Options
  • 09-03-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Just wondering if it's possible to actually save money in Australia working as a carpenter. I just wanted to get over there for about a year and save as much as i can. I hear there is good money in formwork out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Just wondering if it's possible to actually save money in Australia working as a carpenter. I just wanted to get over there for about a year and save as much as i can. I hear there is good money in formwork out there?

If youre asking can will you get paid so much that you can go on the piss every night, eat like a king and don yourself in the latest fashions whilst living in a plush apartment.....then no.

However if the above is not what you are hinting at then yes. of course its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

You can bring in quite a bit as a formworker here in WA, but costs of living are high. I'm in full on saving mode so don't drink or buy too much and am starting to save a bit (I'm a surveyor).
    It will be easier to get work if you have all your qualifications, my brother is a chippie but never finished his last year at Fas so I can't get him a job where I am even though they are crying out for people.
    I heard the going rate for formworkers in the city (Perth) is $40 an hour on ABN (you have to pay 10% afaik in tax) but also that a lot of Irish guys are ruining that now because they will work happily for $25 per hour!
    If you are willing to work remote then you will get paid more but be aware that you will need all your qual's for the big jobs like Gorgon (that's where I am).

I hope that's helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MightyDucks

Cheers Brndn,

Ya i just got my papers so i'm ok that way. I wouldn't mind working in the back arse of no where, it would prob be easier to save money if i was working out there

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Cheers Brndn,

Ya i just got my papers so i'm ok that way. I wouldn't mind working in the back arse of no where, it would prob be easier to save money if i was working out there
    im working on a mine as a labourer and im saving big bucks.As a formworker you would make twice what I am,are you on a visa or pernament resident? If you pernament apply to Kilarnee Formwork,dey are doing the formwork on Barrow Island(Gorgon project),they are paying guys anything between $85-$120 an hour..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    im working on a mine as a labourer and im saving big bucks.As a formworker you would make twice what I am,are you on a visa or pernament resident? If you pernament apply to Kilarnee Formwork,dey are doing the formwork on Barrow Island(Gorgon project),they are paying guys anything between $85-$120 an hour..

Is it very hard to get into the mines on a whv?
    Iv a degree in mechanical engineering with experience and iv experience as a mechanical fitter in oil refinerys aswell, would there be more money as a fitter or an engineer in oz? It seems tradesmen and degree qualified people are on very similar wages?!

• Advertisement

Cheers Dazzler,

I'm still in Ireland at the moment:( but i'm hoping to head over there soon if it was worth my while (saving wise). Is there much left in that job? What are kind of hours and time of are we talking?

tower08 wrote: »
    Is it very hard to get into the mines on a whv?
    Iv a degree in mechanical engineering with experience and iv experience as a mechanical fitter in oil refinerys aswell, would there be more money as a fitter or an engineer in oz? It seems tradesmen and degree qualified people are on very similar wages?!
    Im on a WHV and they never asked how long I had left on it,all depends on the mine.Ya tradesmen are getting paid the same as engineers,they are crying out for fitters,I regret not doing an apprentice as a fitter back home because they are getting paid top dollar out here.

Cheers Dazzler,

I'm still in Ireland at the moment:( but i'm hoping to head over there soon if it was worth my while (saving wise). Is there much left in that job? What are kind of hours and time of are we talking?

The Gorgon project is only starting,it will be going on for a long time but jobs are being snapped up very quick,its the best money you can get on any mine in the world at the moment,google it and you'll see why. TBH most mines are 12 hour shifts 7 days a week,you will get a day off every 13 days.It can be tough work because your nearly always stuck in the middle of nowhere,with no civilisation for 100 of miles but thats just the life of a miner.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

Im on a WHV and they never asked how long I had left on it,all depends on the mine.Ya tradesmen are getting paid the same as engineers,they are crying out for fitters,I regret not doing an apprentice as a fitter back home because they are getting paid top dollar out here.

cheers for the info, im heading out in sept and hoping to get work on the mines as a fitter or mech engineer.
    just one final question, does working on the mines count as the 3months rural work you must do to apply for a 2nd year visa seeings there all in remote areas?

Thanks

The Gorgon project is only starting,it will be going on for a long time but jobs are being snapped up very quick,its the best money you can get on any mine in the world at the moment,google it and you'll see why. TBH most mines are 12 hour shifts 7 days a week,you will get a day off every 13 days.It can be tough work because your nearly always stuck in the middle of nowhere,with no civilisation for 100 of miles but thats just the life of a miner.

Ya that does seem like though going alrite but as i said its just to save some money and at that pay it wouldn't take too long to do that. Have you any idea who i should contact in relation to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

cheers for the info, im heading out in sept and hoping to get work on the mines as a fitter or mech engineer.
    just one final question, does working on the mines count as the 3months rural work you must do to apply for a 2nd year visa seeings there all in remote areas?

Thanks

Yes, have a look at immi.gov.au and for read the section on 2nd year WHV - it clearly states it there that it does. Also with Mine work, a lot of the work is work 1 week down the mine, 1 week off. These 2 weeks count towards the 13weeks work required
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm

Thanks
    it does count.Mining/Agriculture/Construction in rural areas.

Ya that does seem like though going alrite but as i said its just to save some money and at that pay it wouldn't take too long to do that. Have you any idea who i should contact in relation to this?
    the mines can take time to get into because they have some many applications for every job.You wont get a job in the mines until you actually get out here and start applying for the jobs...

Advertisement