Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roselawn Road Tree Removal

Options
  • 09-03-2011 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Got this letter last week, just wondering what people make of the tree situation, I'm not a tree hugger but am worried that it will lower the aesthetic quality of the neighbourhood, the trees cover up some of the less sightly concrete features around and as a resident I worried this will affect the area in a negative way. I'm beginning to wonder was there really concerns about structural problems (and actual complaint letters sent in) or are they just making these up as the new street lamps are approx 4-6 feet taller than the trees and its convenient to just remove them as the soon approaching summer leaves will block the light on the road when the new lights are fitted.
    ANY THOUGHTS ???
    3e645b122764617.jpg

e41fb6122764631.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It maybe the roots are causing problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Same thing happened at the Clonsilla train station, chopped them all down. It looks nasty and I'm not sure why they were chopped to be honest. I think there should be reasons given, posted up or whatever as trees are very important aesthetically.

Chase it up. Often there some muppet who makes these decisions with no common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 d49nbrwuac0is8

I will. apparently something similar was pushed in delwood but the locals resisted it, Im going to get names of these people to take responsibilty for decisions made.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

I actually could do with a tree being cut down from outside my house as the roots are beginning to crack the path and my driveway. Do you have a contact number for them by any chance? I'm in Roselawn too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

A fecking disgrace it is. A cracked wall/pavement is easily fixed. It takes 10-15 years to regrow these trees. They have a significant and beneficially affect on the asthetics of the area. Roselawn road is very well kept and looks really good.

One email to parks@fingalcoco.ie coming up...

Tree roots can effect more than just the pavement. Its underground pipes, cables, foundations etc. That may not be the issue here. I dunno.

RTT wrote: »
    I actually could do with a tree being cut down from outside my house as the roots are beginning to crack the path and my driveway. Do you have a contact number for them by any chance? I'm in Roselawn too.
    Number is on letter, be sure to think about the value of your house after removing the tree, and other options to having the tree removed as they indeed do take 15 years to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

It's the trees, it's the type of tree planted on the verges and in the parks that I dislike most. Dirty big sycamores etc.

I seem to spend the whole autumn cleaning up leaves from the front and back of my house, Filling up brown bin after brown bin. I then spend more time trying to get rid of the new trees that seem to sprout up everywhere. If I don't do that, then their roots go deeper and deeper and are even harder to remove

I have started to contact the public reps asking why they cannot plant different types of apple, pear, plum trees etc. in public areas. At least these would be of some use.

Has anyone seen the price of a 1/2 doz apples in Tesco, or the cost a tiny plastic container of berries? Most of the apples seem to be imported from France and we have no idea of when they were picked. Months and months ago is my guess. As for the berries. They have traveled 1/2 way round the world to get to the shop shelf.

Likewise, rather than just planting green bushes in parks and elsewhere, the Council should instead plant blackberry, gooseberry, blueberry rasberry
    bushes etc.

We have a nation of children and adults who we are trying (unsuccessfully in most cases )to encourage to eat healthy food, yet we allow shops to charge them an arm and a leg for what could easily be available free, and which parents find impossible to afford.

Kids would get a great kick out of picking their own fruit. It is fun and tastes fantastic. They would then grow up hopefully with a love for the taste of fresh fruit rather than something that they don't eat at all, or eat far too little of..

Fruit trees attract lots of "things" that want to eat the fruit.

• Advertisement

I suppose any tree is better than no tree. I have pictures of Roselawn from about 1983/1984 with little or no trees , and me believe it looks "AWFUL"

The trees make it much nicer alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Trees have a finite life and sooner or later all of those on Roselawn Road will have to be replaced. Rather than fight the removal, it might be better to keep making noise to make sure that any that are taken down are replaced by younger trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Gaspode wrote: »
    Trees have a finite life and sooner or later all of those on Roselawn Road will have to be replaced. Rather than fight the removal, it might be better to keep making noise to make sure that any that are taken down are replaced by younger trees.

The trees are currently quite young & would last for several more decades.

Some pencil pusher has made a poor decision because he/she thinks it's 'policy' and has no regard for the local environment. There is no mention whatsoever of any of the trees being replaced. Just some being cut down and others severely damaged by 'pruning' which might actually kill the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Why dont the council go to a representative or a members of the area and let them know the situation instead of just blundering without any notice? Its a rude and an obnoxious operation. We dont actually know why, no one has been made aware.
    As for yer man who has to clean up leaves of an autumn afternoon, I suggest you get a perspective on things.

If enough people are upset about it, I will make a "lot" of problems for council regarding this, I only put this up because I wanted to see other peoples opinions i.e. "do they even care this is happening" many thanks for ur contribution :)

Advertisement