Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did the world get so mean..and so serious?

• 09-03-2011 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Curley wurlies used to have a little joke on the side. Buttons a little nursery rhyme. Mr freeze's a little number that in some mysterious way could help you win a box of them. You got things free in cereal boxes or you sent away for a cool bit of kit.

2FM had a great giveaway show on a saturday morning. In fact everywhere you turned there were competitions and goodie bags to be won.

When did it all change? When did the world get so serious, and when did we stop getting things for free?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Thaigr

When the recession hit and everyone's been scavenging everything for themselves. Nothing is ever really free without losing a tiny piece of your soul...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Ah the good ole days, When you'd step into white powdery dog sh!t compared to brown sticky slippery dog sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

36.5 days ago

But seriously -

Penguin bars still have GREAT jokes on the wrapper

There are still plenty of competitions - join facebook and add any businesses you know as they regularly run competitions.

Also, boards runs pretty good competitions, just keep an eye out, they really aren't hard to miss!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

political correctness gone mad I tells ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Nine Eleven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

IMF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

"Reality" TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

That's nothing. Over here all chocolate bars, including buttons, etc have health warnings on them:

CHOCOLATE CAN CAUSE OBESITY
    CHOCOLATE CAN CAUSE IMPOTENCE
    CHOCOLATE CAN CAUSE CANCER

Actually they don't. I wish they did though. Enjoy your chocolate son. You're going to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Since the intertubes were invented. Before that, all you had to do to see if you won something cool was open the bar of chocolate, or lift the tab on the cornflakes. The anticipation was nerve shredding! Now, you have to open the bar, or lift the tab, and then note the code, boot up your computer, find the website, insert the code, respond to some crappy survey, input your email address, and be told that you haven't won anything. And then spend months trying to stop incessant emails from the likes of Kelloggs and Nestle. Imagine if that wa show Willy Wonka had gone about sending out the golden tickets!!

Stupid interweb. With that and inventing global warming, Al Gore has a lot to answer for. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

finipops wrote: »
    Ah the good ole days, When you'd step into white powdery dog sh!t compared to brown sticky slippery dog sh!t.

I remember listening to Gerry Ryan, and as the reason for this some vet said that it was because modern mutts are fed fancy biscuits and scraps from the table, whereas in the olden days of yore, they'd get a bone. Hence their poo would take on some of the colour of the bone.

To which Gerry responded that dogs these days were indeed pussies, but sure didn't every little pussy enjoy a big bone every now and then!!:eek:

This at 11 in the morn! The man was a fracking dirty bag! And a legend for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

Maxi-twist ice-creams used to have a lot more maxi in them.

Fucking fat cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

LambsEye wrote: »
    Maxi-twist ice-creams used to have a lot more maxi in them.

Fucking fat cats.

They seem to have too much of the 'green' in them these days....still the best ice cream around tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

When you stopped being a kid OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There used to be killings in my house over who got the freebies in the cereal boxes. It got so bad, my parents had to rotate it strictly.

And God help you if the freebie wasn't between the box and the bag, coz you'd be eating Cornflakes that had been mauled & crushed by your siblings dirty, sweaty little hands.

Maybe that's why they don't do them anymore? Though most likely, I would imagine that it is out of fear of being sued by the parents of some dopey kid who swallowed a bit of plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

blimey - didnt know about the cereals - didnt know they stopped doing free toys inside as the only cereal we get here is own brand stuff.
    id notice the contents of sweet packets and crisp packets have gotten smaller - a lot of crisp packets have a good dollop of air to fatten the pack (i miss meanies - they used to be full to the brim) - i had tooty frooties as a treat the other day - think i got about 20 in the pack. the horror! :eek: probably a good thing for my waistline though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Monster Munch used to give handy details should you ever encounter a monster, unfortunately the only advise they decided to share was for the Cyclops...always the f*cking Cyclops.

What use to me is that if I stumble across a Minotaur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Penguin bars still have the crap jokes on the wrapper, all is not lost! :eek:

do the smarties still have the letters imside the lids?

there were several theories as to why when i was a kid but the most popular was you had to try collect as many letters as you could - but then no one was sure of the reason for that. spelling out words?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Rice crispies always gave free stuff for you bike. Be it reflectors, or little circular things that attached to the spokes of your wheels so when you cycled it made this weird tune!

Oh and wagon wheels! They always tasted gone off, but you would still eat them, no one ever dared turn down chocolate!

Goldenegg wrote: »
    Oh and wagon wheels! They always tasted gone off, but you would still eat them, no one ever dared turn down chocolate!

wagon wheels!!! tasted a bit odd - loved them. they should bring back old crap food (and freebies for thr kid in you) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

Aishae wrote: »
    do the smarties still have the letters imside the lids?

No, they stopped putting letters imside the lids about ten years ago. It was on "Mud Men" the other night ha ha swear to god. I always wondered why they were there too :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

When they stopped giving away toys in cereal.
    This is when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

finipops wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

example i eat one o these m&s spinach cannelloni about this time most nights; this one's packaging looks different, for the first time in years, proclaiming 'new recipe!' the topping cheese now poofs up in the oven like plastic cheese and the ricotta cheese now runs off it; which does me a favour tbh but the filling is much less n it is generally smaller. mean as fúck. but its more expensive with the drop in quality too; serious?! how exactly does recession work man.. this sucks beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Remember that amazing day when you got TWO toys in the cereal?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Years ago they gave away free flexi discs (extremely thin records) with Kelloggs cereal. The flexi disc was stuck to the box so it would often be scratched. The songs on the records were crap too. It was still great to get a free record though.

Kids nowadays wouldn't be impressed by free music because they can just download it off the internet.

I think the world got serious when children started getting mobile phones. A kid that goes around with a €200 phone isn't likely to appreciate a plastic toy that's free in a box of cereal. I can't imagine them being interested in jokes written on chocolate wrappers either. The only thing kids find funny nowadays is filming their friend stabbing the teacher and uploading the video to YouTube.

Having said that, I recently bought a six pack of Penguin bars and they had jokes on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Curley wurlies used to have a little joke on the side. Buttons a little nursery rhyme. Mr freeze's a little number that in some mysterious way could help you win a box of them. You got things free in cereal boxes or you sent away for a cool bit of kit.

2FM had a great giveaway show on a saturday morning. In fact everywhere you turned there were competitions and goodie bags to be won.

When did it all change? When did the world get so serious, and when did we stop getting things for free?

Since Stephen was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I won a tenner in a packet of crisps once. It was inside a little black packet. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I won a tenner in a packet of crisps once. It was inside a little black packet. :cool:
    Me to , me to

was an awesome day!

remember the things you used to get in the Cornflakes for the wheels of your bikes? my bike was seriously pimped out with them when i was a kid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Hmmm it seems they are putting £5, £10 and £20 notes in Super Noodles now in the UK.
    I can just see the penniless hordes sweeping across the border to avail of this magnificent offer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

emo!! wrote: »
    remember the things you used to get in the Cornflakes for the wheels of your bikes? my bike was seriously pimped out with them when i was a kid

i used to get them as christmas presents...

:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Monster Munch used to give handy details should you ever encounter a monster, unfortunately the only advise they decided to share was for the Cyclops...always the f*cking Cyclops.

What use to me is that if I stumble across a Minotaur?

I thought I was the only one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭JackM_79

You still get the free stickers inside large packets of Milky Moos, you know the ones, with 'Moo' written on them, that you would stick on the back of an unsuspecting sibling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Remember saving up tokens to get special rice krispie bowls? I miss my bowls :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Dudess wrote: »
    When you stopped being a kid OP.

That never happened dudess. Nor do I expect it to anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i used to get them as christmas presents...

:-(
    hahaha awww poor you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

My favourite were the dinosaur hologram cards in cereal. Any dinosaur related when I was a kid was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭this is arse

you can still get free condoms at any STD clinic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Biggins wrote: »
    Since Stephen was born.

Ah yeah blame it on us so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

We had Alpen or porridge in the Earthhorse househould growing up so the world was always a serious place for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Maybe that's why they don't do them anymore? Though most likely, I would imagine that it is out of fear of being sued by the parents of some dopey kid who swallowed a bit of plastic.

I heard a cereal guy on the radio recently saying that they didn't do them any more because market research had shown that people wanted offers on the packets instead (50 quid off a spa break or what not).

That's bullsh*t. Who did they ask? Cause I can't imagine a 7 year old saying, "You know what? Instead of a deadly toy or a dinosaur card I'd like a spa break offer for my Ma or some money off a set of encylopedias."

My favourite were the toy submarines, boats and divers that you put baking powder in and then they'd race around in the bath tub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

6th wrote: »
    My favourite were the dinosaur hologram cards in cereal. Any dinosaur related when I was a kid was cool.

Did you ever get those weekly magazines where you got a bit of a T-Rex each week and after your parents had spent millions on magazines you had a glow in the dark dinosaur !

Good times ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

example i eat one o these m&s spinach cannelloni about this time most nights; this one's packaging looks different, for the first time in years, proclaiming 'new recipe!' the topping cheese now poofs up in the oven like plastic cheese and the ricotta cheese now runs off it; which does me a favour tbh but the filling is much less n it is generally smaller. mean as fúck. but its more expensive with the drop in quality too; serious?! how exactly does recession work man.. this sucks beyond belief

MODs: please move post to the Cannelloni Conspiracy Forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Did you ever get those weekly magazines where you got a bit of a T-Rex each week and after your parents had spent millions on magazines you had a glow in the dark dinosaur !

Good times ! :pac:

:pac:
    the skull is covered in dust on my dads shelf , never bought an issue past the first cos it was 50p or something abd then like 5£ after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Remember Fizzy Cola Lollys (trebor I think?) that had a hidden number on the wrapper. If it had a 7, you got a free one!!
    Little sweet shop near my grans had those Lollies out on shelf where you could easily pick them up and hold up to the light and see if they had a 7. It was free lolly heaven whenevr we went!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

:pac:
    the skull is covered in dust on my dads shelf , never bought an issue past the first cos it was 50p or something abd then like 5£ after that

I was considerably richer than yaaaaa ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Aishae wrote: »
    i miss meanies - they used to be full to the brim

Meanies are still around and they are still a relatively full bag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

kfallon wrote: »
    Meanies are still around and they are still a relatively full bag!
    But where are the Mega Meanies though?

I blame the EU. Bunch of spoil sports, you'd swear some of them were never kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Ever since theres no candy push pops to push, bullies are beatin' the living Jaysus out of other kids everywhere and meanness is thriving.
    All the saved up for later is long since gone and society is paying the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

I loved them little submarines that came with rice crispys,they were all different colors.So innocent back then

• Advertisement
Advertisement