Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Open University Is The **** Then?

Options
  • 09-03-2011 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Hot-foot out of school, I decided to pick courses that were not in my heart (as most of us do). I've dabbled in all sorts of subjects, from business to accountancy ect ect. Then, I left one day and said to myself that college wasn't for me - I was young at the time and looking back, I would have maintained a different attitude during secondary.

So having traveled around the world, here I am, sitting on my ass. However, there is one thing in my heart, something which I really adore and that's economics and politics. I've contemplated Trinity, UDC and DCU but they're all out of my reach. Then this appeared.

I've done a distance learning course before - so I had concerns when I logged onto the OU site, it looked amateurish (sorry) but from reading threads on here, it sounds like it was sent from God. So, now I'm wondering if I should take an economics or politics course with them.

My main concerns would be: If I do a course with these guys, will I be able to present their degree as a prestigious piece of paper if I follow post-graduate education in a brick and mortar uni? Secondly, do we learn online or do we attend physical classrooms?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You learn mostly online - some courses are presented exclusively online, while others will have some real life tutorials you can attend.

And yes, it's seen like any other degree from a UK university - some people even value it slightly more because of the extra effort and commitment it takes. If you read up, you'll see that the OU ranks highly in quality evaluations by the UK authorities. When it comes to acceptance for Masters courses it's no different than any other degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rimbaud

I second the above. OU is highly rated among employers and academics alike.
    The only employers who don't rate it high are obviously out of touch.

It seems distance learning is taking off moreso these day. Could be the future of 3rd level learning! And it proofs dedication on part of the learner also.

I'm nearly finished a level one of an International Studies degree and think its great.I find the material more engaging than study material I dealt with in a bricks & mortar Uni (UCC). The online forums/tutorials are very helpful also.

Only hard thing is delegating time to study and get things done.

I'm actually going to start an economics course shortly thats also online with Oxford University. You might be interested:
    http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/details.php?id=O10P427SOV&search=economics&submitbutton=Search&multisearch=single&search_type[]=100&search_startdate=Starting%20on%20or%20after%20(date)

Advertisement